Shure SE535 LTD-J Initial Impressions
Nov 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

theque

100+ Head-Fier
So today arrived my new SE535LTD's...

Unfortunately my Samsung Note 1 died a couple days ago (using a Nexus One) and I am waiting for my new Samsung Note 2 due on Monday. Within the next two weeks I also expect a shipment from DHC with a brand new custom hybrid Symbiote SE cable. Lastly, depending on the quality of the Note 2, I may be getting a Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII in the Christmas time frame.

First I would like to point out that the Nexus One is considered a horrible source for audio, and there is no getting around that for me at the moment. However, I am using 320 kbps music from Spotify. For baseline comparison, I have been swapping between the ear buds that came with my Note 1, the Sony MH1C, and the SE535LTD's.

This is my first venture into portable HiFi IEM's as I have exclusively listened to music on much higher end home equipment. However, my situation has changed and my current living space prohibits me from listening to music through such a setup at the volume I am accustom to. On top of that, I am now traveling almost 50% of the time for my job, many flights to Europe. Thus, I was looking for quality that also had noise isolation. Custom IEM's are the end game, but I wanted items that could easily be resold (Universals) until I became more educated in the aspects of portable HiFi (DAC's, Amps, Cables, sound profiles etc...). 

My very first thought was, Wow the ear buds that came with the Note sound like alarm clock speakers compared to these. I did not realize the depth one could get from IEM's. I assumed anything that small must compromise greatly across the board in order to exist. I was wrong. The only compromise I have found so far is in Bass reproduction. I do not mean frequency response either. In my old home setup I had an HSU VTF-15H sub; the pure compression and decompression of a room just cannot be duplicated by IEM's. But hey, you have to give up something.

Everything above bone shaking frequencies, are reproduced so well I am actually impressed. And this is with a source that when the music stops an incessant hiss and hum are quite audible and annoying. What is the most impressive, is when I close my eyes, I actually feel as if I am in a studio or amphitheater. The sound stage (my fiance calls 3D effect) of these is just immersing and quite impressive to be honest.

I cannot wait to get the Note 2, and if I can convince my fiance, a Leckerton to see how the sound profile changes. No matter what the hiss and hum should go away. As I have posted in other threads, I do not believe the new cable will make an audible difference, I purchased it for build quality and aesthetics; but I will keep an open mind.

If you are using Spotify, I found a song that immersed me even with the crappy Nexus One that others may want to check out...

(Sittin On) The Dock of the Bay; Sara Bareilles - Between the Lines: Sara Bareilles Live at the Filmore)

Anyhow, I just wanted to give my opinion as I am extremely excited to have just received my new toy...

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 14
Congrats on the SE535 LTD version! I wish I could try the LTD myself and directly compare it to the regular SE535. When you mention Hybrid Symbiote SE, do you mean a silver/copper hybrid?

Nov 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Congrats on the SE535 LTD version! I wish I could try the LTD myself and directly compare it to the regular SE535. When you mention Hybrid Symbiote SE, do you mean a silver/copper hybrid?

Yes I do. He has some new cable coming in and I took advantage of a very generous offer.

I will make a dedicated post about the cable when it comes in. I purchased the cable because of the look and build quality; though many people keep telling me the sound will improve. I am a skeptic but I will certainly address it when I try it out.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Yes I do. He has some new cable coming in and I took advantage of a very generous offer.

I will make a dedicated post about the cable when it comes in. I purchased the cable because of the look and build quality; though many people keep telling me the sound will improve. I am a skeptic but I will certainly address it when I try it out.

Yes, Peter does do that 
tongue.gif
 In fact, I was the first Symbiote SE customer and my exact cable is on the DHC Symbiote SE page, the first picture. Be sure to leave a response in the DHC appreciation thread! I was thinking Hybrid as well, but I'm not a huge fan of Silver myself so I just went with oldschool Copper.

There is a difference in sound and I experience this every time I change from my stock Westone cable to the Symbiote SE. I'm not going to get too into this because this will start a debate, but I find that OCC makes a significant difference. Of course it won't be a night/day difference, but hopefully you will be able to appreciate the differences.

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Yes, Peter does do that 
tongue.gif
 In fact, I was the first Symbiote SE customer and my exact cable is on the DHC Symbiote SE page, the first picture. Be sure to leave a response in the DHC appreciation thread! I was thinking Hybrid as well, but I'm not a huge fan of Silver myself so I just went with oldschool Copper.

There is a difference in sound and I experience this every time I change from my stock Westone cable to the Symbiote SE. I'm not going to get too into this because this will start a debate, but I find that OCC makes a significant difference. Of course it won't be a night/day difference, but hopefully you will be able to appreciate the differences.

I will post my impressions either way :) 

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 14
Ok, I have run into a small issue with these. I do not like any of the supplied tips...

The rubber domes do not provide enough sound suppression for me.

The yellow foam ones are itchy.

The triple flange is akin to an ear raping.

The medium Shure olives are slightly to large as they expand they cause some pain.

The small Shure olives are to small not causing the proper seal.

Do I just need to get use to the medium olives? Maybe my ears are just not use to the feeling yet? They certainly sound the best as far as audio quality. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 14
Three options.

a) comply may work better for you.

b) custom sleeves that fit on the end of the nozzle.

c). Full reshell into custom.

Cheers

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Ok, I have run into a small issue with these. I do not like any of the supplied tips...

The rubber domes do not provide enough sound suppression for me.

The yellow foam ones are itchy.

The triple flange is akin to an ear raping.

The medium Shure olives are slightly to large as they expand they cause some pain.

The small Shure olives are to small not causing the proper seal.

Do I just need to get use to the medium olives? Maybe my ears are just not use to the feeling yet? They certainly sound the best as far as audio quality. 

"an ear raping" - quite a picturesque description. Perhaps you could try tips from eBay or the silicone tips with a bit of foam included.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Three options.
a) comply may work better for you.
b) custom sleeves that fit on the end of the nozzle.
c). Full reshell into custom.
Cheers

Damn, for the cost of everything, I am not far off the price I would have paid for UM Miracle's of which I am regretting not just ponying up for...

I will use these for a bit and see how I feel after my ears get use to the olives. I even have a cable coming. I mean I really do enjoy the sound of these. If it does not get better, come January these my go to the fiance while I get me a pair of UM Miracle's or JH16's.

My order of priority is as follows, all three are important, but I will be wearing these for extended airplane trips. Bose disgust me sound wise or I would already own them.

1. Comfort
2. Sound Isolation
3. Sound Quality

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

"an ear raping" - quite a picturesque description. Perhaps you could try tips from eBay or the silicone tips with a bit of foam included.

I don't know how to explain it. As I started to pull them out, my brain stopped my hand saying, "Ummm Nope, you should not be touching that part that way..."

I have paced the olive mediums back on as they seem to be the best fit. Going to wear them a few hours each day, even though I am not traveling at the moment to see if my ears get use to it.

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 14
Ok, I found out where the pain is coming from, see picture attached below. I do not know if customs can solve the issue. All I know is after an hour or so, the pain is quite a bit on that area of the ear cartilage (Antitragus?).

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #12 of 14
Might sound daft but have you tried wearing them without the cable attached?  I know you won't get sound that way, but I'm just wondering if the cable (if it's the same hateful one that came with the se215)is pushing the iem away causing the pressure?

Cheers

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #14 of 14
I'll just give my two cents on the SE535 LTD.

I liked them at first - the midrange is, of course very detailed, which I appreciated. They have a lot more to offer in that regard than my 1MORE Triple Drivers. However, after I spent about a week and a half with them, I realized that they just aren't worth $500 (or the $450 I paid for them). The bass, while present, is, frankly, anemic. The low-end is pitiful, especially coming from planar headphones (EL-8C, which themselves aren't known for being bass-heavy). The treble isn't quite there, either. There's no sparkle. You can hear a violin, but it sounds muted, in a way. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good, but it's worth maybe $200-300 to me. I couldn't justify the price, so I had to return them.

I'd save up for the 846s or some custom IEMs, frankly. I'm just sticking with my Triple Drivers for now, because they're almost as good at 1/5 the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back