Shure SE535 LE Sound Bad
Apr 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #18 of 46
The iPhone 5 is decent.  I prefer the iP4 myself - but nothing wrong with the 5 as a source.

As far as professional recording goes - welcome to the loudness war - unfortunately a lot of today's music is just recorded too hot.  If you want something decent and like alt/progressive - try something from Stephen Wilson/Porcupine Tree. I haven't come across a badly mastered album of his yet.  They'll show you what the SE535 can really do 
size]

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #19 of 46
I always preferred the supplied foam tips when I had 530s. If you're not, try those. Compress them a bit before inserting and let them expand. When I tried the 535, the revised nozzle actually made it harder for me to get a good seal. If you got them locally, maybe try a non SE before giving up on the 535. The LE retuning should do more in the lower treble than the very top but I've never heard them so it a guess on my part.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #20 of 46
Well it's not a dedicated music reproduction device, it's decent enough, but when you match it with high end IEMs you're going to notice its shortcomings very easily. I like to think about high fidelity music playback in the same way we think about high definition video playback:
If you watch an old VHS tape on an lower end VHS player on a large high end plasma HD TV, the picture is going to look awful. The HD TV really brings out those flaws and makes them jarringly obvious. If you have a high end HD TV (your headphones) you really need a decent Blu Ray player (your audio player) and a high resolution movie on a Blu Ray disc (your audio file) to be able to enjoy high definition video. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #21 of 46
Quote:
Well it's not a dedicated music reproduction device, it's decent enough, but when you match it with high end IEMs you're going to notice its shortcomings very easily. I like to think about high fidelity music playback in the same way we think about high definition video playback:
If you watch an old VHS tape on an lower end VHS player on a large high end plasma HD TV, the picture is going to look awful. The HD TV really brings out those flaws and makes them jarringly obvious. If you have a high end HD TV (your headphones) you really need a decent Blu Ray player (your audio player) and a high resolution movie on a Blu Ray disc (your audio file) to be able to enjoy high definition video. 

Um ..... nah.

Speaking from my own personal experience - iPhone4 + decently recorded material + SE535SE is every bit as good as same IEM from a so called 'more decent' source.  The modern iPhones measure flat, have extremely low impedance (especially the 4) and are plenty powerful enough to drive the very sensitive SE535.  YMMV - but I'd be paying more attention to the source files (mastering) rather than the player.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #22 of 46
I disagree. I've owned an Iphone 4 as well as other smartphones which I've attempted to use as audio players over the last few years (HTC Sensation SE, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S3) and compared to my Cowon C2 with BBE turned off I've always preferred the Cowon. With the BBE turned on, it's not even on the same planet. But in any case, there are other shortcomings other than sound quality when using a smartphone- Storage space, FLAC support and most importantly battery life.

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:
I disagree. I've owned an Iphone 4 as well as other smartphones which I've attempted to use as audio players over the last few years (HTC Sensation SE, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S3) and compared to my Cowon C2 with BBE turned off I've always preferred the Cowon. With the BBE turned on, it's not even on the same planet. But in any case, there are other shortcomings other than sound quality when using a smartphone- Storage space, FLAC support and most importantly battery life.

Well we can agree to disagree then 
wink.gif

I've also owned Cowons - including an iAudio 7 (which was a fantastic little player) and also extensively auditioned a J3 (before eventually deciding to switch to an idevice).  Flat - no eq - the players were the same SQ IMO.  It's simply a matter of preference.  Anything EQ wise you want to do with the Cowon can also be done on the iTouch / iPhone with apps.  Cowons have the better battery life and cheaper storage options.  Apples have better UI and more/better apps.  Pick which works for you.  I also think one of the major preferences - when it comes to things like BBE - is how you like the presentation of your music.  I prefer completely flat.  BBE to me is more like the 5.5 video type sound ..... warm and enveloping - but ultimately rolled off top-end.  I simply prefer more linear.

Regarding support of FLAC - especially re storage space, and remembering it's a portable device.  Have you ever performed a blind abx with different formats?  It's quite easy to do on the PC with Foobar.  If you haven't you should try it.  Really opened my eyes.  To me aac256 is completely transparent - especially on a portable.  This means that I don;t have to sacrifice quality - but can have 3 times as much music in HQ lossy format as I would have with lossless.  Win-win.  At the moment I have over 80 albums on my 32Gb Touch G4.

Like I say though - YMMV.  I would really suggest you try a proper abx though - your thoughts may very much change re SQ.  It's quite an enlightening and ultimately liberating revelation.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #24 of 46
To continue the conversation, I picked up a pair of SE215 SE (the asia ones) to compare. I definitely wouldnt say the songs Im having issues with sound better. Same issues. So I guess it really is my source songs. Im just surprised at how many of them sounds bad

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #25 of 46
Although Im sorry to subject anyone to either of these songs, it would help maybe if I gave you some actual examples. one is Pom Poms by the Jonas Brothers on Spotify in supposed 320kbps, the other is a FLAC Jpop song i ripped myself, I guess I will upload it to a site, and I can PM the link to anyone who wants to help me out. Thanks again guys

Apr 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #26 of 46
Maybe you should try your se535 ltd with pico slim or headstage arrow or Samuel Shadow with a good LOD to improve your song quality. I must admit that you have to spend alot money to improve the song quality of se535, but in general, I am happy with the design and comfort of shure. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #27 of 46
To continue the conversation, I picked up a pair of SE215 SE (the asia ones) to compare. I definitely wouldnt say the songs Im having issues with sound better. Same issues. So I guess it really is my source songs. Im just surprised at how many of them sounds bad

I think it will be important to also check the decoder you are using to rip. Not sure if anyone has mentioned that yet. As you said though, it is likely the source quality.

Also, you didn't mention you did this but ripping from mp3 to lossless only reproduces the same flaws. It may sound simple and obvious, but I know people that do it. Don't.

In respect of pop in general, they are never well mastered. Consider trying something else out for now to test your equipment. You've tried the HD stuff, compare it with any other crummier earphone and see if you can tell the difference.

Test the equipment you have by the process of elimination. If you can, don't use your laptop to test stuff. The on board sound card is crap.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #28 of 46
I guess at this point, I am not really looking to significantly change all my equipment. I am probably still going to use an iphone 5, because the convenience and ease of spotfiy is intoxicating. So what I guess I need is a different pair of headphones that will work well with all my current stuff (meaning an iphone 5 and spotify). This doesnt seem to be the right pair

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #29 of 46
I guess at this point, I am not really looking to significantly change all my equipment. I am probably still going to use an iphone 5, because the convenience and ease of spotfiy is intoxicating. So what I guess I need is a different pair of headphones that will work well with all my current stuff (meaning an iphone 5 and spotify). This doesnt seem to be the right pair

An iPhone 5 is fine. I'm not sure about spotify however as I don't use it myself. If it's online streaming like YouTube, it's rubbish in terms of quality. But I don't use it so I can't comment.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #30 of 46
Ok, tried a pair of Kliipsch too, and it is definitely not a problem with the headphones. Also, I should not, I am playing the headphones a lot louder than I normally do, since Im testing them. So I guess I just never noticed all this before because of lower volume? I guess this thread has become pointless now though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back