Shure SE535 cables
Feb 24, 2012 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bevano

New Head-Fier
Hi
I recently purchased the shure SE535.s i have been reading a lot of forums online and everyone seems to be swapping out the stock cable. since i recently purchased these i am totally lost. my question is this, is it worth getting another cable? i use the shures when i am out and about so i don't particularly want a long cable.
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong space, I'm new to it and all.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 14
Feb 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 14

Lol, I am sure the maker would be more than happy to make a shorter one for you at the same price......you know they are hand made and can be cut to any length shorter than the usual 1.2m at the same cost. However, if one wants something longer then of course it will cost more!
Quote:
i have the special edition red ones by the way. I use it with my iPod classic. i find that the baldur mk2 cable to is long for my liking.

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 14
What do u guys think about the Shure CBL-M-K mobile cable. does the sound have any change or not. Just thinking that i might buy it since i use my shures with both my iphone and iPod 

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Try this topic: http://www.head-fi.org/t/583981/westone-4-vs-shure-se535-special-edition-red-535-with-baldur-mk2-cable
It is about the SE535 Special Edition, but cables are the same anyway.

Is it worth it? Maybe, maybe not, you'd have to explain what you'd want to achieve by changing cables and what your set-up is.

this thread has really got me wanting to try those balder cables but i have the clear 535's not the red ones i wonder if i would have the same effect.

Feb 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
this thread has really got me wanting to try those balder cables but i have the clear 535's not the red ones i wonder if i would have the same effect.

On my thread, he was using the Bronze 535s,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583981/westone-4-vs-shure-se535-special-edition-red-535-with-baldur-mk2-cable/90

BustyBloke :

SE535 + Baldur MK2: The mids were less in your face and the top end had a bit more sparkle and presence. I raised the issue with skprs01 that some people might consider this a step in the wrong direction because the Shure house sound is all about forward mids. He said the having such pronounced mids was simply unrealistic unless the singer has a 10-foot wide mouth. I agree to the extent that the stock SE535 had a tendency to lose clarity on busy musical passages by emphasising the mids too much. But I can also see why some might prefer the more intimate sound of the stock cable.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Mar 17, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
What do u guys think about the Shure CBL-M-K mobile cable. does the sound have any change or not. Just thinking that i might buy it since i use my shures with both my iphone and iPod 

I don't have the 535 but I have the 215i and I hate the stock cable.  It is ridiculously thick, stiff and unruly.  The memory wire is aweful and pulls the left ear piece out of my ear.  I'm assuming the 535 uses the same build of cable?

The 215i comes with a second cable that is iPhone compatible, which is model # cbl-m+-K-EFS.  It is shorter than the stock cable and is also thinner and much more flexible without memory wire, which makes is easier to wear and loop over the ear.  The only downside is the microphone/volume control is larger than it needs to be.

No sound change that I noticed.

Mar 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 14
I am also debating on trying a new cable. I for one thing, really don't prefer the sound of the SE535 reds out of the box. I am coming from an old pair of SE500's. The SE535-Red is way more mid-range centered out of the box. More like an upside-down "U" frequency response. I can't seem to get an high's or low's out of them. I have tried with and without a Tomahawk IEM amp I used with the SE500's. I am trying to decide whether I should just sell these or try a new cable. Thing is, I also bought some Westone 4R's and I prefer the sound of those to the SE535-Red. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back