Shure se535, and Westone 4R need help to make a decision!!!!
Jan 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tim941

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi y'all,
       I have been reading people's review in here for a while (like 3 month). As a starter in this audiophile field, I am trying to get a pair of good (or fair good) IEM for outdoor using. I am listening most in pop, a little rock, and some classic. After couple days of research, I found I may go either se535, or westone 4r.  I have heard people said W4Rs are better IEM in general, is it?
       Also some give me an offer for a used se535 Ltd for around 330 USD, is it a good price? Really need you guy's help!

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 8
I had 535LTD and listened to my friend's Westone 4, 535 noise isolation is much better than 4r but cumbersome to take it out and put it back if you have to do it often (like office), 4R should be better here. Comfort to my ears Westone 4 is better, for the sound quality I will rank 535 ahead of 4r, Shure has mid-forward closer sound which is lush/thick with limited soundstage, for vocal/pop even classical it is good, to my ears 4r has hollow sound with wide sound stage and warm sound signature. I too read 4r is great for all genres (battle of flagships thread). I will pick 535LTD for sound, 4R for comfort and to listen to all genres. To me neither will work for Rock genre.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 8
You should start from the baseline that both of these IEM's are very, very good...just different regarding the sound signature.  You can search all the threads you like comparing the two and you will find votes for each, frequency response graphs, etc.  I would also say that you should be careful about relying on someone else's description of fit and comfort with an IEM...no two ears have the same physical construction.  This is a decision that only you can make once you have had some time with the IEM.  I personally find the SE535 very comfortable (with the Westone Star tips), but neither did I have any comfort issues with the 4R.  I preferred the sound of the 535's.  I know it is not always feasible, but if you are able, you should try both.

However, $330 for the SE535 LTD is a good price as these retail for about $550.  If the condition is good I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on this.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 8
  You should start from the baseline that both of these IEM's are very, very good...just different regarding the sound signature.  You can search all the threads you like comparing the two and you will find votes for each, frequency response graphs, etc.  I would also say that you should be careful about relying on someone else's description of fit and comfort with an IEM...no two ears have the same physical construction.  This is a decision that only you can make once you have had some time with the IEM.  I personally find the SE535 very comfortable (with the Westone Star tips), but neither did I have any comfort issues with the 4R.  I preferred the sound of the 535's.  I know it is not always feasible, but if you are able, you should try both.

However, $330 for the SE535 LTD is a good price as these retail for about $550.  If the condition is good I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on this.

i agree this is a good price.

i own both the se535 and the w4r and i  honestly cant choose one over another, hence owning both. they both amazing sonicly, but both offer differences that one doesnt have over the other and vis versa.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #7 of 8

i own both the se535 and the w4r and i  honestly cant choose one over another, hence owning both. they both amazing sonicly, but both offer differences that one doesnt have over the other and vis versa.

Well stated, Mooses9.  I believe that once you get to the level of SQ that these IEM's are capable of producing, personal preference, music genre preference, ones own hearing limitations (mine has been undeniably permanently damaged thanks to The Who), relative comfort, life style, etc. dictate which IEM is best for the individual.  All of these are subjective measurements that can't be described by charts, specs, graphs, or others users.

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 8

Yea,  and UM3X (UM30 Pro) offers another option at similar pricepoint that some prefer over the others.  W4R technically amazing but for rock music or that OOOMPH!! factor, UM30Pro would be better option.    Again.....preferences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back