Shure SE530 vs. Westone UM3X
Oct 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #92 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you're not a fan of the UM3X Mark. As I've asked this of Spyro who is, I'll ask you as well. Do you find that the UM3X has superior detail and instrument separation compared to the SE530? Also, do you still regard the UM3X to have a darker or heavier sound signature overall when compared to the SE530?

While I'm at it, how does the treble extension of these phones compare to your ears now? Is the treble of the UM3X marginally or considerably greater than the SE530?

Thanks in advance.

moderatly, its quite noticeable and its nice that it doesnt hiss like the 530 can but other than those it just falls short of the 530 for me. there isnt anything the um3 does badly but its bass has too much middle and upper bass and too punchy. that might suit you better though.

however i say ignore (or at least take with a large pinch of salt) all the reports about how great the mids on the um3x are. i believed them and was mightily disappointed when i heard them

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #93 of 165
^ Sorry Mark but I require some clarification from you. Are you saying that the details and instrument separation of the UM3X is "moderately" better and "quite noticeable" compared to the SE530?

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #95 of 165
That's astonishing and I owned 2 pairs of SE530 over a period of just over 2 years.

I find the instrument separation on UM3X to be, perhaps, the single greatest characteristic that distinguishes among all other IEM's.

And that's exactly what a stage monitor should do and why it's a great product. For example it could be open to wide interpretation on whether or not the W3 is a "fun sounding IEM" as it is marketed to be but there should be no mistake that UM3X is the greatest universal stage monitor ever made.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #96 of 165
^ Now with respect Spyro, the SE530 is not a stage monitor. It was not designed to be one. The SE530 is designed for and marketed to the recreational music listener. Whereas the UM3X is designed as a stage monitor for use by musicians. These are very different audio purposes and Westone readily acknowledge this.

To say that the UM3X is superior to the SE530 is one thing, but then to later qualify your statement by saying that it is the "greatest universal stage monitor ever made" is quite another, and a marked departure from your original assertion. You appear to have shifted from making a sweeping claim to a very limited one. I mean, just how many universal stage monitors are there anyway?

Perhaps it would be more useful to compare like with like i.e., SE530 with the W3, which are designed for the same use.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #97 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Now with respect Spyro, the SE530 is not a stage monitor. It was not designed to be one. The SE530 is designed for and marketed to the recreational music listener. Whereas the UM3X is designed as a stage monitor for use by musicians. These are very different audio purposes and Westone readily acknowledge this.

To say that the UM3X is superior to the SE530 is one thing, but then to later qualify your statement by saying that it is the "greatest universal stage monitor ever made" is quite another, and a marked departure from your original assertion. You appear to have shifted from making a sweeping claim to a very limited one. I mean, just how many universal stage monitors are there anyway?

Perhaps it would be more useful to compare like with like i.e., SE530 with the W3, which are designed for the same use.

That's a bit harsh. Essentially what Spyro is saying is that the UM3X is the "greatest universal stage monitor ever made" and that the qualities that make it so also contribute to what makes the UM3X better than the SE530. The claims aren't mutually exclusive even if one is supposedly narrower (personally, saying that a earphone is "greatest universal stage monitor ever made" is quite a bit more sweeping than saying it is better than one particular other earphone).

The UM3X is definitely on the warm side which can be a plus or minus. It definitely helps with completely fatigue free listening. Haven't heard the SE530s so I can't comment further.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #98 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a bit harsh. Essentially what Spyro is saying is that the UM3X is the "greatest universal stage monitor ever made" and that the qualities that make it so also contribute to what makes the UM3X better than the SE530. The claims aren't mutually exclusive even if one is supposedly narrower (personally, saying that a earphone is "greatest universal stage monitor ever made" is quite a bit more sweeping than saying it is better than one particular other earphone).

The UM3X is definitely on the warm side which can be a plus or minus. It definitely helps with completely fatigue free listening. Haven't heard the SE530s so I can't comment further.

I respect Spyro's opinion - always have. I didn't set out to be harsh towards him. I detected a shift in Spyro's position. I might be wrong. I trust that Spyro won't be offended by my interpretation of his posts.

I don't disagree with your point that the claims aren't mutually exclusive. However, I don't know of very many universal earphones that are specifically designed for the purpose of stage monitoring. Perhaps you do but it strikes me as a niche within the IEM market. Whereas presumably thousands of people have purchased the SE530, which is designed and marketed towards the recreational audio consumer market. That is the basis of my distinction between a sweeping statement and one that is not in this instance.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #99 of 165
Hold on here.

My point was responding to Mark above. He was saying that only the treble might be better on UM3X over SE530 and he is entitled to his opinion.

I was pointing out that instrument separation is clearly perhaps the biggest difference and went on to explain why. I am surprised mark can't or didn't hear this distinction. Other factors of bass, midrange and soundstage could certainly be debated.

While UM3X is a stage monitor and SE530 is for pleasure, I find midrange and bass about even. Treble and instrument separation better on UM3X. Soundstage is larger on SE530 but I'm okay sacrificing that due to the huge instrument separation on UM3X. That's where I stand on these two IEM's.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #103 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Detrex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By next week Wednesday I should have a pair of Westone UM3X's. I'm not sure if my opinion will be as valued here as other head-fiers but I'll post a honest early impression comparison between my Shure SE530's and Westone UM3X and then when I get my JH13 Pro's and give it at least a 2-3 week listen I'll post a huge 3 way comparison of the Shure SE530's, Westone UM3X and JH13 Pro...Stay tuned guys!
wink.gif

But but but... why get the UM3X when you're getting the JH13 pro? The UM3X is not too different from the SE530 and the JH13 far outstrips either.

Thanks for the roundup in advance anyway
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #104 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But but but... why get the UM3X when you're getting the JH13 pro? The UM3X is not too different from the SE530 and the JH13 far outstrips either.

Thanks for the roundup in advance anyway
biggrin.gif

Because he obviously can - lucky him. You really shouldn't concern yourself.

Didn't you say earlier in this thread that you hadn't heard the SE530? How do you know that the UM3X wouldn't sound significantly different from the SE530 to your ears? Hearing is believing. At least Detrex will be in a position to definitively answer that question for himself without having to rely on "hearsay".

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #105 of 165
I'll add a bit to this discussion. I know I've spoken with you about this before iponderous - but I've had more time switching between the SE530's in the gym, and using the JH13's at the office. Going back and forth over the last 1.5 months has really highlighted the differences for me.

First off, knowing what I know now - I don't think I'd side grade (or small upgrade) universals once you get to the SE530 level. I think the SE530 is a good earphone - but when you really get a lot of time with something quite a bit better (JH13) you are more able to identify weaknesses.

I guess it isn't a big deal if you can sell a high end universal and get your money back out of it. It's always cool to try something new. But, from my experience with the Westone 3 and SE530, I don't think you will find one which is better ENOUGH to justify the hassle of switching.

First off, after living with the JH13 for a while, the SE530 is not a monitor. It's a consumer grade recreational music listening earphone. The frequency response of the thing sounds well balanced to me - but the clarity is lacking. Though it does also have rolled off highs, I actually don't find this to be a big deal unless listening to stringed instruments, mostly classical music.

I think universals are really limited by their inherent universal design. You just have to go custom to get the type of sound upgrade you'd expect out of "the next level".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back