Shure SE530 vs. Westone UM3X
May 12, 2009 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 165

fabianwseko

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I can't believe I am the one who started this topic...I have been seeing se530 to be my upgrade from ety er6i.. and I guess the new competitor on its league is UM3X....

Give me ur opinion guys....
Thank You

May 12, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 165
Friendly bump. Interested to know too
popcorn.gif

May 12, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 165
I never listen to SE 530..but many in UM3X appreciation thread said that UM3X better than SE 530, it has more treble and better bass quality..but I thought that SE 530 has a strong mid, I might as well want to know how the quantity and quality of the mid compared between those two..
For my taste, from mids to low is to thick and sounds bum bum bum to me, which make me feel a little fatigue after a while..especially in the song where the high is somehow missing...

May 12, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 165
SE530 has more treble energy than UM3X, despite the rolled off highs. so the vocals either
1. sound clearer and more forward or
2. give you fatigue, the singer appears to be screaming at you
or potentially both.

UM3X is warm sounding with more bass quantity and better extension, so it sounds fuller and more all rounded than SE530. however if most of your songs are vocal oriented/acoustic type, or you're not fond of warm sounds, i think SE530 is better.

May 12, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLy_oNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never listen to SE 530..but many in UM3X appreciation thread said that UM3X better than SE 530, it has more treble and better bass quality..but I thought that SE 530 has a strong mid, I might as well want to know how the quantity and quality of the mid compared between those two..
For my taste, from mids to low is to thick and sounds bum bum bum to me, which make me feel a little fatigue after a while..especially in the song where the high is somehow missing...

What you described by "bum bum bum" is the classic Shure low-mid representation. Their representation of 150-500 Hz really grates on my nerves.

The E5's suffered from it, as does the SE530 and every other Shure product I've ever heard, including the E3's, E4's, SE310, SE210... You either like it, live with it, or don't buy a Shure product.

If the UM2 was any indication (from a good source, I'd take the UM2 over the SE530 any day), then the UM3x would be my clear choice, without ever even hearing it.

May 12, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #6 of 165
It's really intriguing to me that the UM2's have this amazing reputation here, considering how long they've been on the market. The UM2 is the best IEM I've owned, and if it's still in the top tier, that tells me there hasn't been enough improvement to IEM's to warrant an upgrade.

For me, they really aren't all that impressive. If this is the case, I'd either go with customs or stay away from IEM's altogether for another couple of years and just focus on a full-sized rig. I'm not even sure I'd consider them mid-fi...in terms of a full-sized equivalent.

May 12, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 165
I like UM2 but I would always take SE530 over it. UM2 sounds a little thicker and congested where SE530 is a little more open sounding. This was covered in another thread but I find the differences in SE530/UM3X to be;

Bass: Most similar trait. Both pretty controlled, both slam pretty nicely. No complaints from either.

Midrange: Similar but SE530 is more forward. Some love it, some think it interferes with the treble and/or presents the singer is screaming at you syndrome.

Treble: UM3X is more detailed yet keeps it very smooth and nonfatiguing...very easy on the ears. Best trait of this IEM IMHO.

Soundstage: SE530 is larger in the sense that the whole presentation is set back 10-20 rows, like at a concert setting. It's done quite well. UM3X is closer in and more intimate (more like studio) BUT the instrument separation is better in relation to one another. You can hear the difference of a sound coming "left" versus "far left". Whichever type of presentation you like will be personal preference. You almost have to hear both to determine.

Personal Note: SE530 is a great IEM. It is pretty balanced and pretty smooth but there is something about UM3X that sounds a little creamier and more natural that makes it even a bit easier on the ears. It's not huge but the difference is there.

Whether the upgrade is worth it? It really depend on your budget. I could always live with the SE530 rolled off highs because it did so much else so well yet I still do prefer UM3X.

May 12, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyle_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530 has more treble energy than UM3X, despite the rolled off highs. so the vocals either
1. sound clearer and more forward or
2. give you fatigue, the singer appears to be screaming at you

UM3X is warm sounding with more bass quantity and better extension, so it sounds fuller and more all rounded than SE530. however if most of your songs are vocal oriented/acoustic type, or you're not fond of warm sounds, i think SE530 is better.

X2

i like se530 sound and westone design/cable.

May 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really intriguing to me that the UM2's have this amazing reputation here, considering how long they've been on the market. The UM2 is the best IEM I've owned, and if it's still in the top tier, that tells me there hasn't been enough improvement to IEM's to warrant an upgrade.

For me, they really aren't all that impressive. If this is the case, I'd either go with customs or stay away from IEM's altogether for another couple of years and just focus on a full-sized rig. I'm not even sure I'd consider them mid-fi...in terms of a full-sized equivalent.

Oh, there are certainly upgrades to be had. The UM3x would likely be a large one.

Basically any custom mold would likely be an upgrade. My Sensaphonics 2X-S certainly are a handful of steps above the UM2's.

May 12, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 165
i have tried my friend's UM3x and I can tell that the mid isn't as strong as the se530, ( btw I heard the se530 from one of the store in the airport )..,.,.

But is this rolls off of the se530.,.the shure signature???

May 12, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 165
From what i've heard, though the UM3X has some nice forward mids but they still fall behind in the competition with the shure in this department. One thing to be noted that "the shure does the mids in the way no other iem can".
Enjoy!

May 12, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 165
i still think it's personal preference. After listening, i think the Se530 still holds the position of best mids, while the Um3x is better on Highs, lows, and cables. So....depends what you like. Price isn't a big issue either as you can get apair of se530 far cheaper than the new released Westone Um3x. Myself though, i prefer the Um3X over the SE530, but mention that the SE530 does have a very handy supply of accessories and the modular cable design.

May 13, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by dippyboy_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what i've heard, though the UM3X has some nice forward mids but they still fall behind in the competition with the shure in this department. One thing to be noted that "the shure does the mids in the way no other iem can".
Enjoy!

That's not true. More (midrange) is not better. Balance is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back