Shure SE530 vs. Westone UM3X
May 28, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #61 of 165
Ya, but um3x is more sensitive than 530. it ends up producing almost loudness out of my d2, if not louder, but the difference is not significant to my ears, you can ignore that. both are well driven with your touch.

530: 119 dB/mW
um3x: 124dB/mW

anyway, i've changed my mind, i'm back to 530 now, FIRM, as i can't leave the feel of 530 vocals vs um3x nice highs. vocals in um3x is a tad too warm for my taste and the bass in 530 is more controlled (leaner than um3x)

no more wanting um3x. sorry to confuse you iponderous. i'll change my signature later

May 28, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #63 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RedBull, u have SE530 and UM3X currently? UM3X has more bass than SE530?

No, I was strongly thinking of selling my 530 in exchange to beautiful um3x treble, but on second thought after i borrow my friend's um3x for few days, i changed my mind. but yes, um3x has more bass presence than 530.

May 28, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #64 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya, but um3x is more sensitive than 530. it ends up producing almost loudness out of my d2, if not louder, but the difference is not significant to my ears, you can ignore that. both are well driven with your touch.

530: 119 dB/mW
um3x: 124dB/mW

anyway, i've changed my mind, i'm back to 530 now, FIRM, as i can't leave the feel of 530 vocals vs um3x nice highs. vocals in um3x is a tad too warm for my taste and the bass in 530 is more controlled (leaner than um3x)

no more wanting um3x. sorry to confuse you iponderous. i'll change my signature later

Hey, no need to apologise! I've appreciated your posts. I'm not rushing into this purchase by the way. The UMX3 is a new phone and I'm waiting for the fotm factor to subside. I know that there are many people here who are excited about this new offering from Westone with good reason but I've also seen some dissenting opinions as well and I expect that there will be more to come. I'm also mindful of the fluctuating fortunes of the W3 since its triumphant introduction. The SE530 has been around for quite a while and yet it still seems to hold its own pretty well when compared to the UMX3 - its better treble notwithstanding. I'll be interested to see what other impressions of the UMX3 come out of this weekend's CanJam.

May 28, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #65 of 165
both are outstanding IEM's but the westone isolates far better for me so it is my choice

May 28, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #66 of 165
Using the treble boost on the iPod (OH THE HUMANITY) really opens up the Shures. The boost is a little too hot though and can be overdone on sibilant recorded tracks. Damn you apple for not letting me customize the EQ!

May 28, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #67 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using the treble boost on the iPod (OH THE HUMANITY) really opens up the Shures. The boost is a little too hot though and can be overdone on sibilant recorded tracks. Damn you apple for not letting me customize the EQ!

Shame on apple, its eq is pretty useless. I am using UM3X, each of eq produce either unnatural/ crack sound

May 29, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #68 of 165
Yes the Shure SE530's need an EQ to shine. When I EQ the Shure SE530's I simply lower the bass and midrange volume so the treble can blossom. This results in a more balanced and natural sound that to my ears beats the Westone 3. Too bad the Zune doesn't have a EQ. The Shure SE530's sound very boring and with no sparkle on my Zune until I raise the volume which impacts the length of my listening time. I use the Westone 3 on my Zune 120 and my Shure SE530's on my Zune 120 or on my computer.

May 29, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #69 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shame on apple, its eq is pretty useless. I am using UM3X, each of eq produce either unnatural/ crack sound

Always with EQ off on iPod personally.

May 30, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #71 of 165
Quote:

I don't use EQ as well on my D2 and turn off any BBE Mach3Bass and sound effects, plain flat. I like it that way.

x2 I am with you. Non eq for all players i owned always

Jun 14, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #72 of 165
Quote:

Yes, i don't have it yet, i borrow my colleague's and bring home overnight, that's enough to conclude what i want.

To me, i don't find it like people shouting at my ears, it's ok for me.

Like what spyro has mentioned, 530 has more soundstage, um3x is more like listening in the studio, it doesn't mean it's bad, it's just the way it sound like depending on what you want.

Both are non fatiguing to me to listed for hours although um3x has more high, you don't imagine um3x high is like the grado's (although i like grados sometimes depending on mood, i really missed the sound from RS-1). um3x high is more sweet, more like hd650.

Sorry to bring up this thread, i'm not buying any iems, but i'm just wondering how the 530s has a bigger soundstage if the vocals are shouting into your ears.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #74 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljcii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bring up this thread, i'm not buying any iems, but i'm just wondering how the 530s has a bigger soundstage if the vocals are shouting into your ears.

That is my question, somehow I think bigger soundstage and upfront vocal should not exist together

Jun 15, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #75 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is my question, somehow I think bigger soundstage and upfront vocal should not exist together

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this as well. seems like some phones possess this uncanny ability. IE8 vocals are way more forward than a Denon C700, yet it possesses the greater soundstage. Am thinking forward vocals should more affect soundstage depth than width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back