Shure SE530 vs Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro
Sep 26, 2008 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HellaChinese

Head-Fier
I've been into IEM's since late 2005. I have lurked on and off on Head-fi for many years, and finally made an account this month. My previous phones I've had were:
E2c, E3c, E4c, Super.Fi 5 Pro

Choosing between the Shure Se530 and the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro is easily one of the hardest choices many of us made when deciding which top of the line, non-custom IEM to get. It's a common misconception that the SE530's have rolled off highs and that the Triple.Fi 10 lack in midrange and bass. However, it all comes down to what you expect from the headones; both have VERY realistic sound and true-life balance. As an avid concert goer, I've categorized the types of concert sounds the SE530's and the Triple.Fi 10 Pro's represent.

For the "lazy-fi" (TL;DR) people, here's the lowdown:

The Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro's sound like you're at a garage-band concert

When you're at a small garage gig, the percussion insturments are in-your-face and you can clearly articulate the high frequencies. Bass and midrange, in comparison to the highs, are relatively lower. You can hear the harmonization and overtones way more than the SE530's.

Shure Se530's are the sound you get at a concert in a venue.

In venues like this, bass and midrange are WAY louder. When farther away, you don't get the same percussion sounds from the drums and the music is more focused on the guitar/electric bass. Whilst still maintaining punching accuracy, the bass has this sound you can almost feel. Shure SE530's also capture soundstage better than the TF10s.

Comparison

High Frequencies

The first thing I noticed about the Triple.Fi 10 Pro's was the detailed highs. Being a consistent Shure earphone buyer, I've NEVER seen this level of clarity and detail before. Least to say, I was thoroughly shocked by it's performance. Also, the TF10's captured the overtones of the notes way better than the SE530's. This added a new level of detail to the music, but at the expense of the soundstage (The Shure SE530's are the opposite; it's powerful bass and mids made the undertones more pronounced which gave it a greater feeling of depth and soundstage)

Shure SE530's don't have this amount of detail. However, their sound signature is by no means rolled off; Shure is a company that works toward reproducing the sound of a rock venue. Here, in real life, you won't hear the level of detail that the TF10's present.

Midrange

The TF10's demonstrated less midrange frequency reproduction than the SE530's. Just like in a garage gig, the TF10's didn't have the crunching distortion guitar sounds that really come out in huge rock venues.

In large venues, midranges are boosted on their stage speakers and provide that vibrant, literally body-shaking crunching guitar distortion. Okay, the SE530's WON'T make your body shake. But, they do make the same accurate midrange response that really shines in electric guitar/rock music.

Bass

First and foremost, both do have the same accuracy of bass. The Shure SE530's have a more pronounced lower frequency range. The TF10's not as much so.

Now, here's some questions to consider:

Do you appreciate harmonization, overtones, and the feel of a garage gig?

Or do you appreciate the soundstage, undertones, and feel of a large rock venue.

Considering most rock and alternative rock is meant for large stages, I feel that the SE530's are the best choice for this type of music.

However, the TF10's far outperform the SE530's in orchestral music. Those songs use high frequencies much more and would definitely benefit from the TF10's.

EDIT:

On an additional note, comfortably does come into play. As most of you already know, the TF10's suck in this area. I've never been irritated by an IEM before (Including the Super.Fi 5 Pro), but somehow these phones really got annoying in my outside ear.

The SE530's, surprisingly for their size, feel like they're not there. The only part that touches my ear is the olives, nothing else.

Sep 26, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 8
Agree somewhat to your finding of the Shure SE530, except the "very realistic" part... As you further down explained, I also find that the Shure SE530 doesn't reproduce enough overtones... Violins/strings sound muted (as in really applying a violin mute to it, killing the overtones, but different in keeping the mid/lows). So unrealistic, that I think is unacceptable in a flagship product.

I'm waiting for my UE Triple.Fi 10 to arrive... I have never heard an UE earphones before... We'll see.......................

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 8
Thank you for the incredibly helpful and informative post!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the impression HellaChinese!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back