Shure SE530 -- too much definition?
Jan 13, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #18 of 44
Yes, the bass of the SE530 was nearly 10 decibels over anything else on the market till the W3 came to market and suddenly, everything in balanced armature land was about the W3 and suddenly the SE530 - the formerly bassy SE530 - was considered flat or boring in comparison. The market has changed, not the earphone. The SE530 is still shy of neutral, but is very pleasing with very detailed mids and bass. I love it.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #19 of 44
SE530's really aren't OVERLY detailed, especially when comparing it to everything else I have. Mainly, their recessed highs can attenuate any fine detail in that area. Like Spyro said, it's probably the detail in the mids areas that may be bothering you, so go for a more recessed option in that area (like a Triple Fi 10 for example).

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE530's really aren't OVERLY detailed, especially when comparing it to everything else I have. Mainly, their recessed highs can attenuate any fine detail in that area. Like Spyro said, it's probably the detail in the mids areas that may be bothering you, so go for a more recessed option in that area (like a Triple Fi 10 for example).

I agree, it's probably the lower-mid emphasis. I find my ck100 fatiguing because of the upper-mid emphasis for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm untill recently the 530 was thought of a bass monster.

Yeah I recently came back to head-fi after taking a break, and I find it funny that some describe it as bass-light now.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #21 of 44
Try the Audeo PFEs. They are similar to the Etys but not as clynical or edgy. They don't have excessive bass, and they are a bargain. I prefer them to the Etys which I used to own.

I find the 530s laid back and forgiving, especially in the highs. They have a great midrange, but I never thought the bass was all that excessive compared to other phones/IEMs

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 44
They're anything but forward once broken in. My recent pair were a bit agressive in the lower treble, upper mids until I put about 200 hours of good volume into them. Bass evens out also and extends down while losing a bit of the bump. I'd recommend you try an extended breakin and get back to us with your results.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #23 of 44
bass on the 530s doesn't extend well but it has ample.
But I think your problem lies in the mids, they are very forward in their presentation, most forwards mids I've heard, very detailed and in your face, probably too much. UM3X has a similar signature but the mids are a bit more laid back (still forward though so on second thoughts...)
TF10 might be a good plan..

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #24 of 44
Having hated my first high end IEM's, IE8's until spending some time with them, I would definitely advise a bit of perseverance.
There is a thread here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/n...1/#post6306699 where Daouda puts forward a very interesting theory, which may be relevant.HTH.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before you do anything too hasty, how much time have you spent with the SE530? Perhaps you just need to give your ears and brain some more time to acclimate to the new sound signature.

^x2.

OP, how long have you had the SE530s? When I first got mine I had a similar reaction to you (previously used E2Cs). However, after about a week or so of using them, I suddenly found them just amazing. I think the brain needs time to adjust to a new sound signature.

If you've had them a couple of weeks and still feel they are not for you, then look at replacing them.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #26 of 44
As someone who owns both the e4c (in the form of a scl4) and se530, I think you just haven't adjusted to them yet. I found the differences a bit off putting at first (sounded bass heavy for sure) but since I have gotten used to them I have enjoyed them immensely. Don't jump back and forth, just use the 530 for a while and give yourself a while to adjust to the difference.

Edit: Also I have owned the se420 and if you think you would prefer something sounding in between the s4c and se530 it is certainly worth trying out. However, the 420 is even less forgiving of low bitrate recordings. I would still probably be using them if I hadn't lost them.

Edit2: If you love your e4c's you should also just consider sticking with them. They are still very good IEMs imo. I love napping while listening to Dream Theater with them. For truely passive listening (i.e. trying to just relax or focusing on another activity while listening), I find myself reaching for my scl4. It has a lot of the detail without being overbearing and making you pay attention to the music. I really don't consider them a downgrade from the se530, just different (except for the great mids that are Shure's signature sound of course).

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^x2.

OP, how long have you had the SE530s? When I first got mine I had a similar reaction to you (previously used E2Cs). However, after about a week or so of using them, I suddenly found them just amazing. I think the brain needs time to adjust to a new sound signature.

If you've had them a couple of weeks and still feel they are not for you, then look at replacing them.

Exactly my experience - I moved from E2C to SE530 and they do need a short time to settle in.

Keep with them & they will reward you for it. One of the best all round IEMs you can buy - love mine.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before you do anything too hasty, how much time have you spent with the SE530? Perhaps you just need to give your ears and brain some more time to acclimate to the new sound signature.

As already mentioned above, the SE530 is not a bass-heavy phone. If you have an aversion to bass presence, then you'd probably best steer away from the IE8 and even the TF10 for that matter, as both have "bigger" bass than the SE530 to my ears. Although both have more spacious and relaxed sound signatures as I hear them than the SE530.

Maybe the REO or the CK10 may be suitable options for you. Both are regarded as neutral sounding phones in these parts, but I've not heard either.

good suggestion re giving yourself a bit more time to adjust to the the different sound signature

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by tony2win /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you guys are awesome here. Thanks for all the input; I really appreciate it!

I can see what you guys mean by the SE530s just being too much. I guess I'll be trying to sell them or trade them away pretty soon.

I guess the SE420 would be a logical upgrade from the e4c. At the same time, my interest was piqued mvw2's post about the IE8. I'm guessing the SE420 would be the safer choice, but do you guys have any input? If the mids are a bit too much for me right now, and I'm looking for a smoother sound, would the IE8 be a good choice?

Thanks again for all the input, guys!

I didn't actually read beyond the first post for my previous post. My bad. I should add that the se420 are definitely not as upfront and aggressive-ish. Much more laid back. And I still feel they were more detailed, although I have never done a side by side comparison. Frankly, my se530 haven't quite lived up to my memories of the se420 I had. Particularly in regard to detail. The bass had more depth than my scl4 but still stayed in the background like with my scl4.

I would highly recommend giving the 420 a chance if you are definitely getting rid of the 530.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #30 of 44
Thanks for all the input, guys! I'll follow your recommendations and try them for another week or two. If that doesn't work, you guys have given me a huge selection of possible choices. From all those listed, I'm hoping for somehing of comparable price/value to these SE530s, or maybe I should just go for the SE420s. So many options, so little money.
tongue.gif
. IE8, TF10, and my head is about to explode from information overload!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back