Shure SE530? Is it still a top ranking IEM?
Feb 5, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #106 of 141
I think the source has alot to do with the sound. The 530's sound like crap through the sansa clip and any ipod or iphone. Way to dark or soft no sparkle at all. When i use the sony nwz a728 the 530's really shine.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #107 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't doubt the fact that the W3s and the IE8s especially are better from what I've read, but I do have to say that the Shure E530s were also preferred over the UE-10 by it's owner who is a prominant member here.

The W3 and SE530 are far far far behind the UE11 in SQ

BTW I own all of them.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #108 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A-hem....

Plus I have seen several posts saying W3 competes right up there with UE10/11. If a $400 universal can do that it is pretty remarkable.

Or...it's pretty sad that a $1100 custom only sounds as good as a $400 universal.
wink_face.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #109 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by illini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the source has alot to do with the sound. The 530's sound like crap through the sansa clip and any ipod or iphone. Way to dark or soft no sparkle at all. When i use the sony nwz a728 the 530's really shine.

Agreed, the SE530 are deserving (and demanding) of a good source. I have no idea how some people can listen to them through stock iPods. No matter what EQ setting you use with them, the SE530s will deliver an unengaging, soft sound that are nowhere near its full potential.

Feb 5, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #110 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by lon420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, the SE530 are deserving (and demanding) of a good source. I have no idea how some people can listen to them through stock iPods. No matter what EQ setting you use with them, the SE530s will deliver an unengaging, soft sound that are nowhere near its full potential.

I would have to disagree with that. You're making the SE530s sound like a full size headphone. IEMs in general, se530 or otherwise, are meant to be used straight from ipod or another player. Does it sound better through home setup with a dedicated dac + amp? Of course, but that's not the point. To say that the SE530 as unengaging and soft, and how you have "no idea" how some people can listen to them through stock ipod, could not be farther from the truth.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #111 of 141
I know where you're coming from - Sorry, I guess it did sound like I expected the SE530 to sound like a full size can in that post, but I was specifically talking about how the 530 sounds with the iPod and similar portable players. Being paired with a friend's Nano, my Clip, my old 5.5G Video, and with a quick listen with my coworker's P2, the 530 never impressed me solely as a "portable" headphone. Of course, plugging them into a dedicated dac+amp made a huge (actually, an incredible) difference, but yes, that'd be far beyond the point.

In my time with owning the SE530s, I haven't heard a PMP that brought out the their best; I wasn't able to hear their lush midrange and rich bass on any of the portable players I paired it with. My SE530s in particular weren't the problem... no defects. Sent 'em in, and they were checked by Shure themselves. I honestly felt more engaged listening to my ER6is (and more recently, Phonak Audeos) than I ever did with my SE530, at least right out of the jack of an iPod or similar PMP. Yes, I fully realize the SE530 isn't supposed to be a "fun" or colored IEM, but that doesn't change the fact that it seems to be, in my experience, heavily source dependent. I would personally like to hear the 530s through a Sony player upon recommendation from an above poster.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #113 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by lon420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not like they sound bad when used unamped with a normal iPod, They just become that much better when properly amped
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #114 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W3 and SE530 are far far far behind the UE11 in SQ

BTW I own all of them.

The SE530's are way behind the UE-10's as well. I'm using it as temporarily till i'll get the UE-11. My UE-10's passed away some time ago
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #115 of 141
Well, that is to be expected from custom IEM's that cost that much. Thanks for stating the obvious
popcorn.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #116 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SE530's are way behind the UE-10's as well. I'm using it as temporarily till i'll get the UE-11. My UE-10's passed away some time ago
frown.gif

Not everyone feels the same way - have a read Shure E500 v. Ultimate Ears UE-10 (Initial Impressions)

I do prefer the Phonak PFE to the Shure E530 though.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #118 of 141
Seal is everything - I have to use a double flange (itches after a few hours) or a medium left/large right olive (lol?) to get a good seal. I have a pile of 8 different tips and they all stink compared to those. Its a major difference in sound and very easy to not get.

I think the shure's sound great, but I would love an upgrade cause I am like that! I find the highs to get mangled a bit is my only complaint. (flac, foobar, emu404, e530) setup. For under $300 dollars and a good seal I find them hard to beat - I own 5 or 6 pairs of $100+ IEMs.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #119 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not everyone feels the same way - have a read Shure E500 v. Ultimate Ears UE-10 (Initial Impressions)

I do prefer the Phonak PFE to the Shure E530 though.

I have read that some years ago. I really don't agree with LFF. UE-10 does pretty much everything better than the SE530's. If you keep reading the thread, people who own both phones pick the UE10's as the better one.

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #120 of 141
se530 , I think is still competing well with other top IEMs.,.,its still good.,.,even though

it has been many years since its release date,.,.,when is shure going to kick some more

as ses on its new earphones.,.???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back