Shure SE530 - Everything I need to Know
Jul 21, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #46 of 53
The biggest change when bought new is in the first couple of hours.
That's the time it takes to burn in the crossover, and that's about it. BA's dont need any burn-in.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by FuriousOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, I have one questions about these. The manufacturing date on the cord says (105th day of 2009, which is April 15th) but the cord still looks a bit flimsy to me, compared to E2Cs. Is there any visible difference between the "old" cords and the "new" ones? Or is it just the material that it's made out of that makes all the difference? Thanks!

Like you I own the E2cs and the Se530s and I thought the same thing when I first opened them. However, the E2c cables were MONSTERS and I really haven't found any other IEM that have the same burly cables. Just don't play jump rope with your 530s and you should be fine.

EDIT: To answer your question there is no visible difference between the 'old cord' and the 'new cord'. It's just a different 'formula' to prevent cracking. Has nothing to do with the diameter of the cord.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #48 of 53
I had the yellow foamies on my E3c's and loved them. When I got the SE530's I was upset they didn't come with them. I tried the black foamies but even the smallest ones were too big. I tried the olives but I found they irritated my ears about about 20 minutes of listening. Finally today I went to guitar center and picked up the yellows and I could not be happier. The sound quality is as good as the olives (which I thought had the best) and they were extremely comfortable.

So, just a heads up, if you feel the SE530 are uncomfortable with the stock parts, go for the yellow foams.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #49 of 53
IMO, I felt that after a day or so, either I became more accustomed to the sound, or it sounded better to my ears; smoother and more accurate.

As for the tips, I'm glad I followed a Head-Fi member's advice and bought the Comply tips when I ordered the SE530 as well; after trying all the included tips, I confirmed that the Comply tips gave the best overall sound range and delivery.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilSoundGuy 7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the yellow foamies on my E3c's and loved them. When I got the SE530's I was upset they didn't come with them. I tried the black foamies but even the smallest ones were too big. I tried the olives but I found they irritated my ears about about 20 minutes of listening. Finally today I went to guitar center and picked up the yellows and I could not be happier. The sound quality is as good as the olives (which I thought had the best) and they were extremely comfortable.

So, just a heads up, if you feel the SE530 are uncomfortable with the stock parts, go for the yellow foams.

you must have....realllly weird ears, cause the yellow foamies that Shure sent me are...twice as big as the Shure olives?

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you must have....realllly weird ears, cause the yellow foamies that Shure sent me are...twice as big as the Shure olives?

They are bigger uncompressed, but when you compress them they can get pretty small. I think a lot of the discomfort with the olives had to do with the material (rubber, or whatever it is) since the size of the small ones was OK.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by akasan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forget the complys. They do offer unparalled isolation and better sound quality, but they are somewhat fragile and they get really filthy, not neccesarily from your ears but from your fingers as well, and unlike the black shure foams they are not really washable. Try the triple flanges with the mod (cut off the smallest tip and level the stem with the bottom flange) and you will get sound almost equal to the complys (they do isolate but not as well). If you clean your ears daily and carry hand sanitizer with you, go for the complys.

I did not find the sure foams are washable.....I wash them and they are foams, not memory foams any more, useless after washing, bad insulation and difficult to fit.....and that is after washing with very very dilute , mild washing up liquid....sometimes they just loose the "memory" effect after a while, so I need new ones every 8 weeks or so, or about 30pounds in the UK per year!!!!!! Maybe I should go for personalized fittings.....cheaper in the long run

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #53 of 53
Out of universal foams, I feel that the Olives have the best isolation/comfort/SQ/durability balance out of any other options. With the right size, they're comfortable, don't itch, isolate really well and give a nice warm sound. And quite reusable as well.

Yellow foams are great SQ wise (IMO best out of all universal tips), seal alright, but they have potential to itch the hell out of your ears and gets dirty/lose their expanding abilities quite quickly.

Triple/Double flanges are obviously quite durable/reusable, have good SQ, and isolate very well, but I feel that they are the least comfortable out of any of the options. They can hurt your ears and also itch the hell out of them.

Complys are probably the most comfortable and have great SQ, but is one of the least durable and get dirty VERY quickly. They also don't isolate as well as above three.

Silicons are the worst, IMO. They sound alright and are durable, but lose their seal easily and can be uncomfortable pressure wise and itch a lot. Isolation is meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back