New Head-Fier
Jul 9, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 12
Or just buy the Shure SE535.
evil_smiley.gif

I kid. Nice tutorial.

Jul 9, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 12
very very nice

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 12
Nice tutorial...  This is also the reason why Shure doesn't do repairs and just replaces... 

Jul 9, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 12
Correct. The time for repair is high and almost all will show some artifact of the service. The same consumers that complain about replacement deals would complain about a minor imperfection.

Nicely done repair! As an added note. It's very important to get a good air tight seal with silicone at the wire and perimeter glue. Notice that the bass drivers are vented and any case leak will change the response. The original construction is really well done.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Impressive work - thanks.

Any suggestions for a replacement cable?  Did you assemble yours?

Is the solder the only real lock of the cable to the transducers?

What did you use to create the seal where the cable passes?

Thanks again for this great tutorial!

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 12
I know this is a tad late, but you may want to consider knotting the wire inside the shell for strain relief, so they don't yank directly on the solder points, leading to failure again.

Brendan

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 12
The TS (Justin) never describes the HARD PART: how to break that MF apart w/o destroying it. SHAME ON YOU :wink:

Get something soft and thick (thick paper or cloth), wrap it around the Shure body, strategically put the IEM in between your back teeth, and CAREFULLY bite down but not too much -- you'l hear a soft snap, and that's your cue to stop applying pressure. The biting method worked well as the audibility of the seal snapping can be heard thru the mouth (thx to the ear plumbing and evolution). Now, carefully/SLOWLY pry apart with fingernails -- you'll have to watch this step carefully or you'll tear apart the ribbon cable+xover.

OKAY, now about that BETTER replacement wire/cable ... I asked about it in the DIY IEM thread, and got NOWHERE. What! So how come NO ONE can seem to find the stock OEM cable/wire supplier/manuf  of IEMs like Westone or EarSonics? Those are really nice (thin [28awg??], and soft/plyable) and would be ideal for a replacer. 

BTW: My SE530 stock units (2008 model) have no internal silicone (they were replaced by Shure, in 2008, by Shure directly, for you guessed it ... bad cable. In 2007, Shure similarly swapped my E500s for SE530s for same issue. Dunno whether any of the new Shure models have this problem. IAC, the Shure sound is quite sub-standard now, IMO, so I won't be too upset if this repair doesn't work out.

EDIT: Replying to a PM on this issue, I thought parts of that discussion would be of benefit to this thread ...

PM query:
Did you do this post-warranty, or do you know if this is even possible? I owned the 500s and replaced them with 530s just as you did.  But now I have 20+ Liquid Electrical Tape repair jobs on them by now with no sign of letting up.

My reply:
My last-replaced (by Shure) SE530 have been out of warranty for about 2yrs now. Shure is a third-rate company for both product performance** and reliability, IMO, but they're v. good for customer service. Despite my SE530s now being 2 yrs out of warranty, I may v. well be able to talk/convince them into replacing for free again. But, time=$$, and I no longer like/value the 530s enough to bother with obtaining RA, packing up/shipping out, etc., etc.
I've repaired the cable 1x, but it was not an internal repair like that of the TS from this thread. The last bit of the orig. cable finally (recently) gave way (the Shure wire of course, not my newer/better wire). And now there is really no choice but to go internal. I have mostly disassembled the SE530 so it look's like the pix taken by the TS. That is VERY tricky, IMO. I still have to find the replacement, perfect wire! And I don't know how well it will all assemble back together and be sealed and (even if all that goes "well") the resulting sound will be as "good" as orig. (which is not great IMO). Frankly, the 500/530 sound worse to my ears than the free R8s that came with my Teclast DAP; I'm not sure why Shure's rate so highly?!
IAC ... 
If you're only interested in having a working pair of Shure's (and not in the "hobby" or skill-building-exercise of doing a complex repair job!), try to convince Shure that they should replace them, even if they're out of warranty. 
Good luck!

** I've owned other Shure products including the famous V-15 Type V MR phono cart., SM57 microphone, etc. All over-priced "junk" -- and their top-end IEMs, IMO, are REALLY over-priced junk.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 12
I got my wire at hifispot:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-Upgrade-hand-crafted-Cable-SHURE-E500-SE530-/220781535794?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item33679ae232

really nice cable.

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 12
justin or anyone ... I can't see most of the images from the OP. Can someone pls re-up or correct them? Thx.

About that foam baffle that couples the grouped microdriver set to the nozzle/waveguide...there seems to be some sort of sticky tape. Was this RE-USED for the final assembly. Yes: I'm having a tough time re-sealing that foam baffle to the nozzle! 

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Hi all,

I'm facing same kind of pb as you with my SE530, with bad contacts when touching the wire at the Jack side.
But I'm in France, and absolutely no Shure resellers accepted to help me in repairing or change it.

I'm hesitating : should I invest and spend some time in repairing my earphones by myself, with the risk of having it working worse than now, or forget this idea and invest in new IEM.

alphaman, you're talking about a sub-standard quality for these Shure in comparison with current new models of other manufacturers.
Would you have some advices for some of them? All of those I ever had chance to try (not so much, in fact..) didn't convince me until now..

Thank you for your advices.

Arnaud

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 12
  Hi all,

I'm facing same kind of pb as you with my SE530, with bad contacts when touching the wire at the Jack side.
But I'm in France, and absolutely no Shure resellers accepted to help me in repairing or change it.

I'm hesitating : should I invest and spend some time in repairing my earphones by myself, with the risk of having it working worse than now, or forget this idea and invest in new IEM.

alphaman, you're talking about a sub-standard quality for these Shure in comparison with current new models of other manufacturers.
Would you have some advices for some of them? All of those I ever had chance to try (not so much, in fact..) didn't convince me until now..

Thank you for your advices.

Arnaud

contact BTG_Audio 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back