Shure SE530? are they any good?
Jan 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fp581

100+ Head-Fier
hi i am searching for a good in ear headphones for the price of the shure se530 +-

my gear gonna be the amp3 pro and i am listening to:
- rock

-punk

-world music

-a little house

-pop

currently i own an ipod classic 80gb and the ultrasone 2500 pro

thx for all the help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 14
How about the portables and [size=small]IEM FORUM?![/size]

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 14
SE530: good - legendary midrange presentation
bad - rolled off highs

If you do get them, make sure they were manufactured from 2008 and later. Otherwise, there is a good chance the infamous cable problem will occur (cracked cables).

The SE535 is coming out soon and they have user replaceable cables.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 14
My experience with the SE530 was a love hate. I bought them in 2005 and finally sold them last year. I had 2 HUGE issues with them. The stem was way too long. I must have shallow ear canals because I could never wear them for more than an hour. Much pain. my other complaint was the bass. Bass on the SE530 has been a love it or hate it since they hit the streets. I personally felt the bass was very much on the weak side. It was tight and very controlled but I always expected more from a headphone cosing almost 500 dollars.

Everything else about these was phenomenal!! Mids are amazing. Separation is amazing. they are extremely easy to drive also. I wish they were more comfortable because the sound was great. Even with weak bass I really loved listening to them. I have since switched to the Klipsch S4 and Image X10. Much more my speed. I can wear the X10 all day and forget they are even in my ears.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 14
My experience is love/hate, for a different reason.

Outstanding sound, but cable problems cause one or both earphones to go dead after a certain amount of time. They'll gladly replace units within the warranty period, but don't look for help once the warranty elapses. Do a search on "Shure" and "cable" and you'll have a lot of reading to do.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 14
I loved mine too but had the same cable issues as well as I really didn’t like the Y connector, length of the cables and their thickness. Finally I sold mine to move into customs. You might want to look at the ie8 as well, I hear they’re great and they're in the same price range.

Jan 16, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 14
Still my favourite IEM, and still my favourite mids out of everything that I currently have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 14
I own a pair that was upgraded from an SE210. My brief take on it is:

1. Instrument separation and detail wise, the SE210 and SE530 come in pretty similar with the SE530 yielding just a tad bit more detail.

2. The SE530 also presents a larger soundstage. You could really pick out some of the echoes and place the instruments instead of just left/right, going out to far left/far right. Great for some rock tracks that have multiple layering of instruments. I do get the impression though that IEM's soundstage tends to be stretched out far left/right, not having much 'headroom' (i.e. does not sound tall or deep). Hence, being realistic with expectations here would help your enjoyment
smily_headphones1.gif

3. The bass sounds a bit boomy and all over the place for my liking though just coming out from my iPhone. Having the SE530 going through my Pico though yielded more controlled bass that melts into the background rather than overpowering the tunes.

That's me 2 cents

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 14
The SE530 have a relatively flat sound, with a little bass emphasis, neutral mids and an HF roll-off that's often overstated by detractors. They are an extremely neutral-sounding IEM, which plenty of listeners rave about. I found them unengaging, which is why I sold mine off in favor of the UM3X, which is more neutral than its wild brother, the Westone 3, but still warm enough to work for me on all but the most muted of tracks.

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 14
For portable use, I also have an SE530, which I use with my iPod nano 4G and a Meier-Audio CORDA 3MOVE. It sounds excellent. It responds extremely well to equalization, so the slightly rolled off highs can easily be corrected by the iPods Treble Booster equalizer setting. The SE530 is, for me at least, also an extremely comfortable IEM. When correctly inserted, after a while I don't even feel I'm wearing it anymore. Only after three hours or so does it begin to hurt my ears. The SE530's bass and the mids are phenomenal. But I agree with others' posts: wait for the SE535. The SE530 will probably get even cheaper, plus you might like its successor better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back