Shure SE530 and ....
Jun 28, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #32 of 68
My rig sounds fantastic; I can listen without fatigue for many hours--possible because of the amp and LOD (see my sig. for details):

3.jpg

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #34 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not necessarily. If the source has hiss then the amp will simply amplify it along with the signal... unless your amp somehow knows how to amplify one without the other.
wink.gif
It is possible for an amp to help if the source generates less hiss at low volumes because you can then set the source a low volume and let the amp to the heavy lifting (if the amp itself is quiet.)

But there's no guarantee, and you definitely cannot make a blanket statement that an amp will reduce hiss. You would have to try any particular combination in order to really find out.

This is wrong. Any decent amp will have very high input impedance, and this results in lowered hiss from the source to amp.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #35 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is wrong. Any decent amp will have very high input impedance, and this results in lowered hiss from the source to amp.

No, a blanket statement that an amp will reduce hiss is wrong.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, a blanket statement that an amp will reduce hiss is wrong.

no its right... hiss generally occurs because the onboard opamp is being stressed by the high impedance of the iems. using an extra amp will ofload that stress onto the opamp.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1nf1n1tygame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no its right... hiss generally occurs because the onboard opamp is being stressed by the high impedance of the iems. using an extra amp will ofload that stress onto the opamp.

LOL. OK, whatever. Man, we have a lot of EE's here...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #40 of 68
For the most part, increasing the impedance will take some of the load off the amp, which in many cases will reduce or remove hiss. But not always. Sometimes the hiss is generated through other means (RFI issues, ground loop issues, etc).

When I use the crappy onboard soundcard on my PC, there is hiss present when using my AD700s right out of the HP jack. When I put an amp between the two, different things happen depending on the amp. My portable amp actually worsens the hiss, even at listening levels, but my CIAudio VHP-1 completely removes the hiss except at the most ear-bleeding volumes.

So it's going to depend on how the hiss came to be; not just impedances.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #42 of 68
im curious about the sansa fuze and the cowon d2 and the sony what would be the best pairing, i got a fuze and clip to test it out, and the bass seems slightly overwelming, one of the reasons i got rid of the d2 was it sounded slightly cold but that eas with shure e3's will the e530 change my mind. is it the perfect pairing

Thanks

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #43 of 68
Another vote for Cowon - Couldn't be more pleased with the D2 paired with the SE530 - pure delight for my tastes.

Jul 12, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #44 of 68
Great i just stumbled on this thread minutes after buying se530 to play through........
ipod classic
ipod touch
iphone
damn!!
hope the amp thing sorts it!!
Never heard any hiss with anything through the Iqube so can only hope otherwise im £214 down for nothing!!

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #45 of 68
Hello, all!
I also bought SE530s and I am also wondering about which player would sound better than my 80GB iPod 5.5G with many different genres of music. It sounds as if its either Cowon D2 or iMod + portable amp? I presume iMod is the best sounding option, but Cowon D2 should be QUITE more portable right?
wink.gif
and with great battery time. About the D2 - is the 16GB included as internal memory or as a card? I think of 32GB as my minimum of storage capacity since I really want to compress everything with Lossless or FLAC or something like that, and it would be nice not having to change what music is on the player.

EDIT: Forgot to ask; what about soundquality, output power and battery life of the iPod Touch 2G?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back