Shure SE420 opinions?
Jul 30, 2008 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shleepy

100+ Head-Fier
Doing a search for SE420 on the forums revealed that these earphones... *(drum roll)* aren't very talked about.
wink.gif

A title search for SE420 revealed 0 threads (though maybe I didn't go through all the options, such as putting a space between the letters and numbers).

I'm thinking of upgrading my Crossroads MylarOne X3's to these earphones, mostly because someone on another forum might want to trade his pair for my video card. Can I just get some quick opinions from owners and those who have tried them? Thanks!
beyersmile.png

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 5
SE420 is known as E5c before the revision. You will probably find more info. about it if you search for E5c.

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 5
From ym experience, Shure SE530 somewhat = Westone UM2. There is Shure SE530 > SE420, then chances are Westone UM2 > SE420. I could be wrong, the way I see it, Westone's are cheaper and perform up to standards of SE530 and maybe trip fi. Can't really go wrong.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SE420 is sorta a weak SE530....for a bit more money you get a much better monitor

VERY, VERY weak SE530. That's almost an insult. The two are like night and day. I bought a pair and returned it in a day. I know I should have given it more time but I thought the sound was SO bad I knew it didn't have a chance. In a nutshell, I thought it sounded nasally and compressed. No dynamic range at all. I even much prefered my old style E4. Heck maybe I had a defective pair.

UM2 a far better choice. I am using my UM2 much more lately than my SE530 and I am a big fan of SE530. But UM2 absolutely ROCKS! Big, full-bodied sound, creamy smooth with exceptional clarity. Very natural sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back