Shure SE310 Initial Impressions
Jun 8, 2007 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Towert7

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all. I have had my new Shure SE310 black IEM headphones for about a week now. Here I'll post my initial impressions and feelings. To sum it up though, I am very disappointed.

The good:
They are very small and very light. That much I love about them!

The bad:
First thing first, opening the box. Yup………. It’s one of those plastic form molded type of boxes that are dam near impossible to open even with the most rugged all metal electrician scissors. I was lucky I didn’t cut my hands trying to open it. You’d think companies would learn not to use this stuff by now…

On to the headphones themselves. They came with a variety of ear plug styles, and the cable extension. The cable extension is almost always needed. Frankly, the cable length of the earphones without the extensions is JUST a little too small. It’s about 1.5ft. That’s just a little too small to even reach my Ipod nano in my shirt pocket. I don’t know what Shure had in mind when they put such a small cable on. Personally, I think a 2-3 foot cable would be much more sensible, that way the extension cable would only be needed for longer reaches (such as your pocket or the amp on your desk). In addition, since the extension cable is almost always needed, there is another grip I have with it. With the addition of the extension cable, you get a big and bulky thing hanging 1.5ft from your neck. This is much heavier than if it was just a cable. Also, since my shirt pocket is offset to one side, it frequently resulted in the extension part hanging to one side and pulling on one of the ear plugs more than the other. This created an uncomfortable situation.

I understand Shure was trying to be very conservative with cable length for extreme portability, but they my have been a little too conservative.

The ugly:
(Sound Quality)

First things first, I have tried all of the ear plugs styles to see which produced the best fit. It was a close fit between the small rubber ones, and the small foam ones. In the end though, the small foam ones were more comfortable and produced a better seal. In addition, they were much easier to take out of my ear without that suction cup effect. The ear pads that are used changes the sound slightly, as does the rotation angle of the earphones and the insertion depth. I found the best sound was produced by inserting the earphones in almost all the way, and with the ear phones in a vertical orientation (so that both cables were pointing vertically upward). I was also able to rotate the earphones so that the cable was pointing horizontally out in front of me, or vertically down to the ground, with almost equal results. The triple flange plugs were too big, and left the earphone body hanging outside of my ear to much. So much for fitting them, now onto sound quality.

This is where I was left very disappointed! These earphones were a double edged sword. On one hand you have the fact that they are only a few millimeters away from you ear drum. So naturally they were quite detailed. On the other hand they just sounded so boring, dull, and lifeless. My general opinion of them was a very closed in sound, with very little musicality. The bass was nonexistent for my tastes. It had practically no slam and it had absolutely no bass weight even though it extended easily down to 30Hz. I had noticed that using the rubber ear pads helped increase the bass slam slightly, but even then it wasn’t anywhere near what I would have liked. With the rubber ear pads the bass weight was still totally absent. The mids were “ok”, but not very involving. The highs were also not very pronounced (rolled off). So this created a sound of practically just mids, with very little life to the music.

Dare I say it? No highs, no lows, must be Bose… except in this case it was the Shure SE310!!!

Seriously, it is so bad, I prefer both my Senn PX100W and Koss KSC75 to these. They have, to me, a much better bass and a much more musical experience.
I know it’s bad when I would reach for a pair of 20$ headphones over these 250$ earphones. I will admit that the SE310 was more detailed than both of these, but in the end it did not matter to me, they just sounded so lifeless.

My goal in buying these was to have a nice IEM that would replace my PX100W, with better sound, and much better portability. The fact that I wasn’t very happy with the cable design, and the fact that I thought the PX100W sounded better, led me to be very saddened by these earphones.

Needless to say, the SE310 will not be replacing my PX100W, which is sad because I really wanted a nice IEM for better portability. Speaking of which, I wonder what the Shure SE210 sound like…….. can it be worse?
I would not pay more than 40$ for these earphones.

Most of my listening has been done with my home setup for sound quality:
MHdt Labs Paradisea+ DAC > HeadAmp GS-1 > Shure SE310.
I also used them directly out of my Ipod nano to test portability.

Now onto some pictures:

Click for larger

Click for larger

I hope this is helpful,
~Drew

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 31
I too am not a fan of the SE310s, though for me the problem is comfort. It's likely that I wouldn't like any IEM, for that reason.

I suppose the two piece cable was more an attempt to cash in on additional cable sales, though there are uses for it. Someone with a lightweight mp3 player like a 2nd gen Shuffle might want to hang it directly off Y instead of bothering with a cable.

As far as sound quality goes, I have no complaints, it just wasn't good enough to outweigh the discomfort for me.

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by spongezone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too am not a fan of the SE310s, though for me the problem is comfort. It's likely that I wouldn't like any IEM, for that reason.

I know what you mean. I also find the over the ear headphones much eaiser to wear in terms of inner ear comfort.
^_^

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 31
the layout of the cables looks like that of the e500, which was meant to go with the push to hear module. i found that layout quite annoying since that plug and the one of the extension cable made it a huge dangling thing. i don't know what shure was thinking putting this on the e310 when it didn't come with the push to hear module.

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 31
Yeah, I think the short cable on some earphones like the Sonys from Japan are meant to be used with remote control modules that come with MD/CD/MP3/DA players or the Shure PTH accessory in this case.

Jun 8, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 31
... and they look terrible too.

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dare I say it? No highs, no lows, must be Bose… except in this case it was the Shure SE310!!!

or se210 too. the highs is so bad, i mean it's so bad that sometimes, i just laugh. how could it be any worse
confused.gif

by the way, i got great fit and comfort though. it's almost as good as my um2.

Jun 8, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 31
I don't know, these seem to get very mixed reviews. As long as I have them seated well, I am getting very good sound quality (though I have had to mess with some EQ to make the bass feel right)

Other than that, though, I have found the highs and mids rather enjoyable for the pricerange. I dunno.

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 31
I sold them because I chose to keep the er4s, but my impression of the se310 was much more positive. I also have the px100 (and like them) but I do not find them near the same class as the 310s in detail, clarity or musicality or even bass. The px100 is bassy in a sorta fun way, but with much less definition than the 310. And frankly the 310 is more refined all across the spectrum.

I think the prob for the OP might just be that he doesn't like iems. Hey, they're stuck in your ear canals and quite annoying until you get used to them. And the way they are in your head mucks around with your expectations of how the music is presented/perceived especially on the low end. I would be curious to know if the OP has used other iems that he found more pleasing?

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 31
iems are something of an aquired taste, depending.

I also think some of this depends on how it sits in each persons ear, and the individual biology of a person may effect it- I don't know.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have the px100 (and like them) but I do not find them near the same class as the 310s in detail, clarity or musicality or even bass. The px100 is bassy in a sorta fun way, but with much less definition than the 310. And frankly the 310 is more refined all across the spectrum.

I'm not sure if your PX100 are the revised version or not. I personally have the PX100W which is the revised version. Although I have not compared the two versions, people say the revised one is better.

You are right in that the SE310 are more detailed in the mids. Despite this though, I still prefer the KSC75 and PX100W over these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense
I think the prob for the OP might just be that he doesn't like iems. Hey, they're stuck in your ear canals and quite annoying until you get used to them. And the way they are in your head mucks around with your expectations of how the music is presented/perceived especially on the low end. I would be curious to know if the OP has used other iems that he found more pleasing?

I agree that this is a concearn a skeptical person should have. These are my first IEM earphones. I don't have much complaint with the fact that they are stuck in my ear.... I just demanded a more involving musical experience.

For full completeness I listen to my music at low volumes. I have no idea how these headphones sound when you start going up into high volumes.
As with normal headphones, the way they sound at low volume can be quite different from how they sound at louder volumes.

Jun 8, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldirial /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also think some of this depends on how it sits in each persons ear, and the individual biology of a person may effect it- I don't know.

I'm sure this plays role, but to what extent I'm not sure.

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #15 of 31
I have the SE310s and the Ety ER4Ss, and I do not share these impressions, understanding that people will definitely hear different things in IEMs due to physical and mental adjustment.

The SE310s are better than the Etys in two ways: bass and silky smooth mids to upper-mids. Maybe I have been listening to the Etys for too long, but the SE310s to my ears have lots of bass, both in terms of extension and thump. Compared to the Etys I would describe the Shures as too boomy, actually. In the end, I like having both because they shine with different types of music.

I agree that the smaller cord section is a bit too short. An extra 6-8 inches would make it perfect for an armband or front pocket situation. I have just ordered a 2nd gen Shuffle and plan to use the SE310s with the shuffle clipped to my shirt somewhere for ultra-portable situations like cutting the grass and hiking.

I do not mind the plug where the two sections join. It isn't any more bulky or obtrusive than the shirt clip section on the Etys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back