Shure SE215 or Klipsch Image S4 (II) - What would you choose?
Aug 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

martinbeyer

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone.

I'm looking to buy some new in-ear monitors and I hope you can help me make a good decision.

I have been looking at the following:

Shure SE215
Klipsch Image S4 (II)

I listen to mainstream rock, blues and folk music like Mumford and Sons or John Mayer. I like the occasional hip hop, pop or electronic, but I mainly listen to the first three genres.

I would really appreciate some advice from people like you, who know a lot more about this than me! 

I previously owned a pair of Beats by dr. Dre, but the bass was overwhelming. Way too much for me. Perhaps I should have given them more than one day to adjust.

Please feel free to suggest other brands, but I would of course like your opinion on the two mentioned.

Thank you in advance!

Beyer

Aug 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 6
I just switched from the S4 to the SE215. The S4 has a more V-shaped signature; lots of bass and decent highs, but the mids are buried a bit. Compared to the S4, I feel the SE215 has a flatter response curve and rolled-off highs. I listen mostly to electronic pop and I definitely prefer the SE215. I would also recommend them over the S4 for rock and blues because of the midrange. The rolled-off highs help prevent fatigue. I would say they are about equal in terms of isolation. I feel the SE215 is slightly better in terms of detail and soundstage than the S4.

The SE215 must also be worn over-ear. Some folks can't get comfortable with these. I was new to it and had to look at some pictures and videos to get it right. Mine have memory wire near the housing, so it pretty much stays after you get it bent up the way you like it. The fit in my ears was a little uncomfortable for the first week, but now they are just fine.

So, to sum up, I like the S4, but I like the SE215 even more. I almost wouldn't bother with the S4, tbh. Take a look at the RE-400 if the SE215 doesn't do it for you.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi davebucklin

Thank you for the excellent advice.

I have taken a look at the RE-400 and they have excellent reviews. I'm looking into where I can buy them here in Denmark and what the price is.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back