Shure Se215 or Etymonics HF5?
Jun 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #31 of 36
...vocals are recessed...

What is happening here? Has Shure kept the name but changed the IEM? The SE215s can be criticised for overly emphasised bass and for some high frequency roll off but they very definitely do not produce recessed midrange or vocals. In fact the opposite is true, is remarked upon by numerous reviewers and is confirmed by measured frequency response. I listen to a lot of choral and vocal music and if there is one phrase that doesn't accurately describe the SE215 it is "vocals are recessed"!

I actually don't think that Shure changed the product while keeping the name but do think it's possible that:

a) there are counterfeit products on sale
b) a few people can't achieve a good fit and so can't get a good sound from the product
c) some people have trouble identifying the characteristics and choosing the appropriate descriptive terms
d) some people come to the product from IEMs or headphones with very differently coloured sound which they have mistakenly come to perceive as neutral.

I'm not exactly a Shure SE215 fanboy as, while I enjoy them, I do think criticisms of their bass response and rolled off highs have merit. At home or somewhere quiet I use something else but on the street or anywhere noisy I think their sound signature and isolation make for an exceptional product. They sing :wink:

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #33 of 36
Well I'm just saying what I hear. They aren't counterfit and they fit perfectly in my ears. They quite noticeably less clear and more recessed than the hf5s to me, and by that I mean the vocals sound more distant and theres more muddnyness  in the instruments. I do think they have a wider soundstage than the hf5s though which I like. That and the bass.

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:
Well I'm just saying what I hear. They aren't counterfit and they fit perfectly in my ears. They quite noticeably less clear and more recessed than the hf5s to me, and by that I mean the vocals sound more distant and theres more muddnyness  in the instruments. I do think they have a wider soundstage than the hf5s though which I like. That and the bass.

Exactly what I hear. I don't understand how people find them to be forward sounding, they sound very dead to me.

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #35 of 36
Forward; dead; forward; dead ... The beat goes on. :)

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #36 of 36
Forward; dead; forward; dead ... The beat goes on. :)

I'd like to claim they are neutral :D

I think some of the descriptions being at odds are down to the nature of the high frequency response. The mids are nice and forward but the highs are very obviously rolled off. It's easy to see how some people will react to the rolled off highs by perceiving the headphone to be dead or dull overall. It isn't the case but the impression formed by the recessed highs could easily be the most notable thing to many people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back