Shure SE215, Nocs NS400 or some other iems under 100€?
Jan 16, 2013 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SpaceInvaders

Head-Fier
Hello!

I thought this forum is the best for this sort of stuff so I joined in need of advice.

I need little tiny earphones for my new phone, Samsung Galaxy S3. (Obviously can be used with my laptop and table comp amplifier as well.) I haven't got it yet but I hear the sound quality is suberb, so I want 'phones to match the phone and my liking. I dislike bundled earphones for their terrible sound quality. I have been raised to seek for the better av-experience and know somewhat what sounds good and know something about my personal preferences. Considering headphones, at the moment I have a gaming headset Steelseries Siberia V2, which is kinda ok as in better than the cheap headsets, but the SQ still leaves a lot to hope for in every aspect. Bought it for gaming purposes and because of good reviews for ~60€. Then I have AKG K 501, which is the best audio experience I have. They are way old and they were unused for years as my dad bought two of them when I was younger, costing roughly 200€ at the time (bought before euros). They could use more bass, but I'm satisfied with the overall SQ and definition. I also have minitower speakers, Wharfedale Diamond 10 series, which are the most bang for the buch as far as I know, costing a mere 200€ from a sale. They are not anything they sell now at stores, but are towers taken out of a surround sound bundle and they have one high speaker and two mids. These are good in terms of definition. Highs and mids sound good but the bass is very punchless as they have no bass driver and I have not gotten a subwoofer to go with them. I also had Koss Sparkplugs as iems but they broke after 6-7 years of on and off use. They were the best iems I have had and pretty nice for 30€. They were trouble to get on and get a matching sound from both sides. I never got regular earbuds to stay on/in my ear so these were still a huge leap forward from those.

As a general questions about iems, does the sound match better headphones like m AKG K 501? From my understanding (haven’t tried good ones) they would offer way better SQ for lower € as they can be made way smaller and put near the eardrums to almost completely ignore the inevitable sound fade (might not be the correct term) in larger monitors.

So what do I want from my new in-ear monitors?

• Suberb sound quality[size=12.0pt] (also, I don’t like too sterile sound, warmer better, punchy bass, good soundstage and definition and so on)[/size]
  • Good isolation for meditation tracks(!) and public places
  • Stay on well and don’t provide too much of the cable noise
  • Performs with videos/movies, music and games.
  • Works with android (no iPhone stuff) and preferably has a mic and button(s) (also as accessory works)
  • Small size that goes easily with me everywhere I go, preferably in a tiny pouch that holds my charger as well.
  • Hassle free insertion and removing, ease of use
  • Durable to last in my daily endeavours (I generally prefer to buy stuff that is a one time investment and lasts from father to son and so on, so this is important.)
  • Somewhat discreet looks, yet good-looking
  • Under 100€ price
What can you suggest?

From previous studies I’ve set my eye on:

Nocs NS400
I can get these from Nocs for android in aluminium, flat cable (tangle-free) and mic with 1(?) button for 70€, which sounds like a steal to me. I don’t know if the aluminium housing changes the sound much.

Shure SE215 with accessory cable with mic and one button, which works with android. They sell this in Amazon (clear for 90€) which probably delivers to my address, but there is no cable for the android on display, so I don’t know where to get this. Also the cable isn’t available in clear and costs mb 50€ to begin with, taking the iems way over budget.

What I want to know is if the Shure are so much better it is worth the extra investment and the lack of mic. Are they durable? Does the changeable cable provide long-lasting iems or do the connections wear out? (btw the extra cable costs over half the price of the iems themselves so don’t know if its worth it) Is the over ear cable much hassle? Does it in turn provide less cable noise and does it stay on better? I want this to be unnoticeable (meditation tracks) and comfortable, are the Shure that with the bulkier construction that touches your ears more? Do glasses conflict with these? I have never used iems like the Shure so I want to know this kind of practical stuff.

I also hear you can get some isolation tips for iems ie. Comply, that would make the isolation and comfort that much better. I just yesterday realized it would be nice to be able to use these while cutting gems for sound insulation and music at the same time, how cool is that!?

If you can point some things I need to take into consideration or other options I could check out. Also some comparison between these two iems would be very nice.

Sorry for the wall of text, but hope you can help me with this.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Shure SE215 with accessory cable with mic and one button, which works with android. They sell this in Amazon (clear for 90€) which probably delivers to my address, but there is no cable for the android on display, so I don’t know where to get this. Also the cable isn’t available in clear and costs mb 50€ to begin with, taking the iems way over budget.

What I want to know is if the Shure are so much better it is worth the extra investment and the lack of mic. Are they durable? Does the changeable cable provide long-lasting iems or do the connections wear out? (btw the extra cable costs over half the price of the iems themselves so don’t know if its worth it) Is the over ear cable much hassle? Does it in turn provide less cable noise and does it stay on better? I want this to be unnoticeable (meditation tracks) and comfortable, are the Shure that with the bulkier construction that touches your ears more? Do glasses conflict with these? I have never used iems like the Shure so I want to know this kind of practical stuff.

Welcome to head-fi!

I have no experience with the Nocs, but I've owned a Shure SE215 for quite a while, probably more than a year now. There are reports of early-batch SE215 having faulty cable connector, but I haven't encountered any durability problems with mine. It's still working perfectly, and I'm rather careless with it (jamming it in my pocket/bag and so on).

The accessory cable with mic for android phone is called CBL-M-K : http://www.amazon.com/Shure-CBL-M-K-Music-Phone-Adapter/dp/B0047FS9Y8

For the cable issues, I wear glasses myself, and I never find the over-ear cable conflicts with my glasses. It does takes time getting used to putting it in your ears, but you will get used to it. It helps the IEM body stay in your ear more securely, and it's not making any cable noise unless you move extra vigorously (shirt clip helps with this).

Comfort wise, SE215 is still my to-go IEM for long flights and extended listening sessions. The IEM body lies flat within your earlobe, you can even lay on your side with it. The foam tip that comes with it (Shure Olives) is very comfortable and sound-isolating. Add to the fact that SE215's sound signature doesn't tire your ears out (it really is smooth and doesn't give the "piercing" sound sensation some IEM might have), It might be the best "meditation" IEM I can think of for the price range.

Though if you have the chance I'd suggest you to find a store that have demo units of SE215 (and perhaps other IEM) and try it on just to make sure if you like it or not, since everyone's ear shape and sound preferences are different.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
Welcome to head-fi!

I have no experience with the Nocs, but I've owned a Shure SE215 for quite a while, probably more than a year now. There are reports of early-batch SE215 having faulty cable connector, but I haven't encountered any durability problems with mine. It's still working perfectly, and I'm rather careless with it (jamming it in my pocket/bag and so on).

The accessory cable with mic for android phone is called CBL-M-K : http://www.amazon.com/Shure-CBL-M-K-Music-Phone-Adapter/dp/B0047FS9Y8

For the cable issues, I wear glasses myself, and I never find the over-ear cable conflicts with my glasses. It does takes time getting used to putting it in your ears, but you will get used to it. It helps the IEM body stay in your ear more securely, and it's not making any cable noise unless you move extra vigorously (shirt clip helps with this).

Comfort wise, SE215 is still my to-go IEM for long flights and extended listening sessions. The IEM body lies flat within your earlobe, you can even lay on your side with it. The foam tip that comes with it (Shure Olives) is very comfortable and sound-isolating. Add to the fact that SE215's sound signature doesn't tire your ears out (it really is smooth and doesn't give the "piercing" sound sensation some IEM might have), It might be the best "meditation" IEM I can think of for the price range.

Thank you for your insight. I actually got all the info regarding Shure comfort right there. I adapt very quickly to new stuff. Only thing would be now to try them as you suggested, but... There is one store that sells them in Finland and that is 200km away from where I live, so I won't be visiting just to hear this piece out. :)
They don't sell the accessory cable in Amazon.uk which means I would have to pay more shipping fees than the actual cable itself, over doubling the price. Maybe the store in Helsinki could get me this...

I have been offered the NS800 used around the same price range and am seriously considering this. Would the Nocs NS800 be substantially better than the Shure SE215?

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm considering the Nocs NS400 still but now the Degauss Labs Dual Driver has made an impact on me.

I can't listen to these anywhere but the Dual Driver is an unconventional dual BA design. These are good looking and small, don't see any issues with the fit or any other exterior design aspect. The jack is a right-turn and flat cables with a 3-button control for android. (never before seen with this class iem, I think) I'm only worried if the sound will suit me since them BAs tend to be very analytical, or so I have been told. I like some warmth in the sound. I would guess these are very clear sounding which is wanted. Also, BAs tend to lack bass I hear? I like balance but the bass should have some oomph. The producers claim in their flyer its a perfect balance between low, mid, high for any kind of music and in the product manual its recommended to use a EQ. Don't know what to think of these but they seem very cheap for what they offer.

I would like some advice here if to go for dual BA (single BA out of count) or single dynamic (dual dynamic also ok?). Also some recommendations for similar price range iem with dual drivers as the Degauss Labs (here in Finland 125€). I've been offered plenty but none seem to suit me... A mic and controls for android are needed.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 12
Go for the Vsonic GR02s, Just got them today, and for $30~ $40 earphones, they blow the SE215's out of the water dollar for dollar. They have some serious IEM bass, punchy and reasonably tight, and the mids are nice and well presented, no muffled/laid back sound even with such good bass. The only problem my be the need for Comply tips to get good isolation, the standard silicone/rubber ones don't isolate too well.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 12
I have now looked into Etyomotic hf2. I think someone has already suggested this but this really seems an interesting set. As you probably know, they are the same as hf5 and hf3 but are specific for android.
Any comments on these or suggestions on others?

EDIT: I found out they can't be bought reasonably from Finland, so off to other stuff, still suggestions welcomed.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 12
I have now ordered Nocs NS400 over the Degauss Labs Dual Driver due to hunch. Thanks to all for help. I might write a small review about them, although I'm no expert audiophile.

Hi, I'm thinking on buying this Nocs ns400 aluminium to use with my galaxy s3,so now that you have bought them I wanted to ask you how they worked for you.. Are they good enough? How's the sound quality?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back