Shure SE215 keeps breaking
May 13, 2011 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bunker

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on the forum. 

I recently purchased a pair of Shure SE215. After very light use for a few weeks, I could only get sound from the left ear bud with the cable placed at certain angles. So I sent it back to Shure and got a replacement promptly. However, after using the new pair for an even shorter time, the left ear bud is completely gone (not muffled but no sound at all). I will probably have to send it back again.

Is anyone experiencing something similar? Do you guys think I am just unlucky and got two lemons in a row? What confuses me is that everything seems so sturdy and well made but mine just keeps on breaking. I kept the cable uncluttered and even tried to clear out the earwax from the nozzle, but nothing seems to help.

One more thing, I swapped the left and right cable to the ear buds, the left still doesn't sound with the right side cable, but the right ear bud works fine with the left cable. So it looks to me something is wrong with the left ear bud, not the cable or the jack.

I appreciate everyone's help.

May 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 17
How about taking a look at Your source, it just might be the jack that is bad and not the phone's. This happen's from time to time.

May 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 17
This seems to be a very common problem and I'm sure Shure is aware of it. Unfortunately all you can do for now is keep sending in for replacements until you get a good pair or they fix the defect at a manufacturing level.

May 13, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
This seems to be a very common problem and I'm sure Shure is aware of it. Unfortunately all you can do for now is keep sending in for replacements until you get a good pair or they fix the defect at a manufacturing level.

That's got to really blow, there is that big of a problem with these. I would just ask for a refund instead of constantly sending defect after defect back. But if You really like them then do what You have to do.

May 13, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 17
That really sucks... I don't think that's been happening to mine. I say 'don't' because I did put a new plug on the end and now sometimes both sides will cut out. I'm not sure if it's the earpieces or the plug, although the plug looks fine to me.

Good thing Shure's customer support is so good.

May 13, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 17
Well, I swapped cables for a stock SE315 cable. I didn't walk around too much today but the earpieces both cut out once. Next week I'll walk around more with the stock cable and my earpieces and see if it keeps happening.

My friend (with the 315) is using my shortened 215 cable and says he hasn't had any cutting out (yet) so right now I'm thinking the earpieces may be the problem. However, both earpieces are cutting out for me, which worries me even more.

May 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 17
It happened to me and my neighbour, it's a common problem I am sure of it. I think earlier shipped batches are affected, because we got them in March before it was even out on shelves. My left driver started acting up, and with some position adjustments it would be fine to listen to. But after about a week, the right driver started failing as well! No point in playing  with them, so I decided I'd send them back, gonna ship them back to shure tomorrow.

It definitely is the driver itself though. You can hear springy and scratchy sounds when moving the driver on the swivel.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 27, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #12 of 17
I've just started having the same problem with intermittent sound on the left side. Seems to be the connection between the cable and the earphone. I've taken very good care of them, used them lightly, and keep them in the case when not in use. I'm disappointed since they sound good, so I'll send them back for, I hope, a better designed cable. Up to this point, my experience is good, so I trust they'll solve this problem quickly.

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
I've just started having the same problem with intermittent sound on the left side. Seems to be the connection between the cable and the earphone. I've taken very good care of them, used them lightly, and keep them in the case when not in use. I'm disappointed since they sound good, so I'll send them back for, I hope, a better designed cable. Up to this point, my experience is good, so I trust they'll solve this problem quickly.

Just curious, when did you purchase your shure se215s? Beause I've heard that many of those iems that were purchased in May had the same problem with the left side cutting out. I was thinking about getting some se215s.. but if they still haven't fixed it, then i guess i wont.

Oct 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 17
I purchased them back in March 2011 and they have worked until yesterday when I discovered the left one dead (or at least dying). Since yesterday, I have e-mailed Shure and Earphone Solutions where I bought them, and both replied promptly suggesting that I return them for warranty repair/replacement. I sent them off this afternoon, so we'll see how it goes from here. Everything I've read here at Head-Fi and on Earphone Solutions owners' comments shows that there's a real problem them, but that Shure stands behind them reliably. I read somewhere that the clear-colored version has had fewer  reported problems than the black ones, so I've asked if my black ones can be replaced with clear. Shure's answer was an unequivocal "yes". It seems like their customer service policy is good. So, bad news/good news. I'm hoping that they've also fixed the design problem so this will be a one-time event for me. Others in the past haven't had such good luck, so again, we'll see.... Since the issue seems to have occurred with others 'phones in their SE line, I imagine Shure will eventually resolve it altogether. No one I've found so far, including Shure and Earphone Solutions, has said that it's finally resolved, however.

I guess I'd say if you can wait until Shure publicly acknowledges and announces the issue resolved, I would. They "Shure" sound great, but this problem has been a disappointment. I'd go for fixed instead of replaceable cables if was an option, but at least for now it's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back