Shure SE210 vs. E4c (and black foamies)
Apr 28, 2007 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rkidmike

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to headphones in general. I recently had the chance to listen to the SE210's and E4c's, and I can hardly notice any difference in the sound between them. They are both sound very detailed and definitely a lot nicer than the Koss plugs I had been using (not modded except for better foam). Both the SE210 and the E4c lack the impactful bass of my KSC-35's, but I actually like that since I listen for long periods of time and I find less bass to be less fatiguing. However, I was wondering whether anyone could clue me in to some of the differences in the sound of these two IEM's so that I can appreciate the differences.

Another thing I wanted to ask is in regards to comfort. I've been using the plugs for a while, and as long as I kept changing the foams regularly they were pretty comfortable. However, I found that using the SE210 with the medium black foamies makes my right ear canal sore. The strange thing is that the E4c with the same medium black foamies doesn't. To my eye, the angle of insertion is the same on both IEM's, so I don't understand why this would be. Anyways, I'm gonna try out the small black foamies with the SE210 and see if that helps. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 5
rkidmike;2912929 said:
However, I found that using the SE210 with the medium black foamies makes my right ear canal sore. The strange thing is that the E4c with the same medium black foamies doesn't. To my eye, the angle of insertion is the same on both IEM's[/QUOTE]

That's interesting because I had the same problems with my right ear! I still find it doesn't want to stay put and it's quite a struggle to fit. I also had the E4g's and they fitted the same in both ears.
Re: angle of insertion - I thought the nozzles on the 210s were not angled as sharply as the E4g or the SE420, and maybe that was why I had difficulty inserting them. Either way, the right earpiece does not fit as comfortably as the left earpiece!

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 5
Good info.
Not many posts about the 210 other than one that claims there is not much difference between the 210 and 310 other than the port.

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good info.
Not many posts about the 210 other than one that claims there is not much difference between the 210 and 310 other than the port.

I should have added that in my opinion, the 210 is hardly different to the 420. In fact I posted a comment at iLounge about it. I have both the 210s and 420s here and despite the 420 costing over twice as much, it just doesn't deliver the sound quality for me at all, especially when comparing it with the much cheaper 'inferior' 210s. For the price of the 420s, I expected to be blown away by them and I wasn't. Maybe if I hadn't compared them with the 210s I would have thought they were very good, but listening to both side by side, I prefer the clearer vocals on the 210, bass and treble sounded the same to me on both phones. My only issue with the 210s is how long it takes to get a good fit, and how awful they sound if you don't get it right.

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rkidmike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing I wanted to ask is in regards to comfort. I've been using the plugs for a while, and as long as I kept changing the foams regularly they were pretty comfortable. However, I found that using the SE210 with the medium black foamies makes my right ear canal sore. The strange thing is that the E4c with the same medium black foamies doesn't. To my eye, the angle of insertion is the same on both IEM's, so I don't understand why this would be. Anyways, I'm gonna try out the small black foamies with the SE210 and see if that helps. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

You are probably able to get the 210 farther in your ear that the E4c. I have the im716, E3c, and UM1. The first 2 go pretty far into my ear and I can get a good seal with the medium foams. If I use the large foams, it's uncomfortable. The UM1 barely goes into my ear canal. I barely get a good seal with the large foams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back