shure SE210, UE Super .fi4, or JVC FX300
Sep 4, 2008 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

ah_long

100+ Head-Fier
as title.. price is somewhat similar.. i get a good discount @ where i work at..

which one should i get?

are the sound difference really great..

for reference, i've used AT-EW9, E4C, UM1...

Please advise.. thanks guys..

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 28
Yes. From what I remember of my trial with the SE210s, these UE4s I have blow them away.

I will say, though, the UE3s are even better sounding than the UE4s, and they are considerably less expensive.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 28
do you think it's a seal issue?
how does the FX300 compare, or is it in totally different league

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_long /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you think it's a seal issue?
how does the FX300 compare, or is it in totally different league

The FX300s are pretty muddy all over the place. Their bass output is excessive and messes with the mids and highs.

The sound quality of the UE3s provide quite good sounstaging, very open and airy and has tightly controlled bass. They are also less colored than the UE4s but the UE4s aren't very colored. There is a little graininess in the treble of the UE3s but nothing that would distract from their fun and enjoyable quality.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 28
I'll buy the UE4s and do a comparison..

I was surprised that the UE3 is better than the UE4

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 28
for what it's worth I bought the se210 and returned them within 2 days.

I liked the fit and sound isolation. Those were awesome. But, bass was weak and the overall sound could only be described as unimpressive.

I'd love to hear a comparison between them and the ue3s or 4s. I plan on posting something about the denon 751s tomorrow. I'm pretty stocked on getting them.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 28
i'll be honest, i work @ futureshop and i want to get a pair of headphones, thus limiting my choices since they don't have anything high-end..

if anyone could tell me which headphones I should get @ futureshop/best buy, it would be great

right now, I'm considering the following

JBL 220
Sennheiser CX500
UE-4
Shure SE-210
JVC FX300
Harman Kardon EP720BKH

... hmm.. i also see that we have
super .fi 5 extended bass online
super .fi pro (sold out)
Shure SE310
Shure SE410

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 28
I think the se210 will get better after burn in, mine e2c did at least.

And you NEED to get a good seal or it will end up sounding crappy anyway. I also had that problem in the beginning, thought my ears was huge when they really are small

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 28
Shure SE210, hands down.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #12 of 28
well, i bought the shure SE210 to do a comparison with the JVCs..

i also ordered the super .fi 5 extended bass, they don't have the pros in stock anywhere..

and i also ordered the SE420
biggrin.gif

if the 420 comes in, i'll stick with that one.. XD

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 28
quick comparison...

both are pretty much worst than the EW9 that i had.. no doubt about that..

however, the JVC has better highs, a more open sound stage..

i thought the JVC was muddy when i first tried it, but hell i was wrong, the SE210 was worst..

the SE210 sounded muffled.. i have this feeling that it's capable of doing better, somehow something is restricting the headphones and everything sounded mixed up together..it's missing details... i'll throw them in for a burn in tonight and see if it would open up more..

but out of the box, the JVC is definitely better IMO, however, none of the two puts a smile on my face like the EW9 or the E4

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 28
let me know how u like the 210's. I have a feeling that you're going to be returning those
smily_headphones1.gif
I had the same feeling as you: "These should be better" So burnt them in...and they weren't.

Try the denon 751's. Got mine today. I picked up comply eartips and all i can say is WOW. These blow away the shure se210s and the futuresonics fs1. I can't believe how good they sound.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 28
well.. i'm going to be playing pink noise, white noise, brown noise thru the SE210 for the whole night..

i'll see if they'll open up tomorrow.. for the price, the JBL220 or the Senn CX500 would do a lot better..

and i can't believe the JVC which costs half the price would do better... not that they are THAT good, but it's still decent sounding...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back