Shure SE 530 or UE 10
Jan 9, 2009 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

msuben

New Head-Fier
Ok, I think I have narrowed it down to these two (these are also the top limit of my price range) and want your opinion. I listen to all types of music but mostly rock, pop and classical. I will be using these unamped with an ipod nano and dell laptop. I am also after comfort. I don't want anything that will fatigue my ears. Which of the two is the best all around IEM for these purposes? Or is there something out there I have missed? Thanks for any advice.

Bennett

Jan 9, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 55
I haven't heard the UE10s, but just from a practical standpoint, I would go for the E530s. They are easy to drive without an amp, are comfortable, and are waaay less expensive, and have been preferred over the UE10 by a couple of very experienced members here.

I personally would not spend that kind of money on an IEM if I weren't going to use an amp.

Jan 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 55
x2 to calexico. The Triple.fi's compare with the SE530.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 55
se530s with those black foam sleeves, which they sell at $19.95 for 10 are the most comfortable in ear cans i have lived with.
i tried many from ety, sony, and shure's earliers e5c
i have used the 530s since the iphone just came out in july of 2007.
daily use and 6 foam sleeves change later, plays with fatigue.

the only incident i ever had was leaving them in during a turbulent flight where the pressure trapped inside my ear canal could not be immediately release. this drove me crazy for at least half a day after i landed.

as for the other make. did not fit my ears, so no comment.

paul

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 55
I hate to add confusion to the op (because trust me, I've been there), but have you heard of or considered the Sennheiser IE8? I recently ordered this earphone but have not yet received it. From what I have read, it is the most "headphone-like" IEM that you can get, and with your musical taste it sounds like you would really like them.

And I have the SE530.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I love my SE530 and don't hesitate to recommend it. I just wanted something a little different and wanted to make sure you knew about it.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 55
he says that these 2 are at the top of his picerange though. and I didnt think the IE8 was readily available for that money in the US yet. most places they are still around $400+

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he says that these 2 are at the top of his picerange though. and I didnt think the IE8 was readily available for that money in the US yet. most places they are still around $400+

Ah, yeah. Good call. I keep forgetting about that because of what I paid for mine
biggrin.gif

But yeah, like I said, the SE530 is really really great, as I know qusp can say as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 55
You have four choices...
1) Triple. Fi
2) Westone 3
3) Shure SE530
4) Sennheiser IE8

Which one would you get a good fit with, and which one is more comfortable with your ear?

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have four choices...
1) Triple. Fi
2) Westone 3
3) Shure SE530
4) Sennheiser IE8

Which one would you get a good fit with, and which one is more comfortable with your ear?

There are some other things to think about when deciding between these four, but you are right: Essentially, those are your choices, unless you want to go off to Ety camp.

None of them are perfect, but all of them are great.

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 55
I hear a lot of great reviews about both of those IEMs. I am going to say right out though that I have no experience in either (listening wise) but I have read a lot about them.

People say the TF 10's are better in the mids, but Shure is better in the highs. (Not entirely sure so don't take my stuff as fact
biggrin.gif
)

But what I have concluded though is that the TF stick waaaaay out of your ears (go look at the ue site and they have pics) and that might be a bothersome to you.

But anyway, I think that I am going to make my next upgrade on one of these 2 phones also unless something better/cheaper comes along the way.

Good luck finding what you want
biggrin.gif

EDIT: wow did I really post that last year? For clarification, the Triples have recessed mids (slightly) and a slight emphasis on the treble. The Shure's have more pronounced mids and a slight treble roll off. I have no idea what I was thinking back then. 

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #15 of 55
I have the UE-10 and UE-11 and have had two pair of SE530. I like the UE-10 and even more the UE-11. Once they settle in, and you get use to the warm sound. Very very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back