Shure SCL5 vs SE530
Nov 8, 2008 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KrustyK

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone... it's been a long time since I've posted. Firstly, please don't flame me for asking this question... I just spent the last ten minutes doing searches to see if this has been discussed. So far I haven't found anything to answer my questions.

Here's my situation:
My E500 wires are cracking and Shure doesn't repair headphones that are out of warranty... at least that's what they're telling me here in Canada, and the same story out of the US office. What they've offered me is a replacement pair of SCL5. I haven't been following Shure's model development, so when this was mentioned to me I said: "... Huh, what the hell is a SCL5?" After going through the "Pro Audio" area of Shure's area I found the SCL5... and they kinda look like the e5? Anyhow, I would love for someone who's up to speed with Shure's model to shed some light on the following question:

1) How do the SCL5 compare to my e500?
2) Does $145 seem like a reasonable amount of money for the swap (i.e. I send in my damaged e500 and $145, and Shure sends me a brand new pair of SCL5)?

Again, I've searched the forum for associated thread and didn't find anything. So, if this has been discussed elsewhere please forward me the link.

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 7
The SCL5 == the E5C, which is supposed to be on the level of the SE420 but not the same. If your E500s are on their last edge, I would go for the swap unless you want to stretch your E500s longer and try to still get the swap once theyre totally broke.

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SCL5 == the E5C, which is supposed to be on the level of the SE420 but not the same. If your E500s are on their last edge, I would go for the swap unless you want to stretch your E500s longer and try to still get the swap once theyre totally broke.

Thanks for the response and advice!

Kinda burns me up that I can't get the stupid wires replaced. Other than the small cracks that have begun to develop the headphones still sound fantastic. What a waste.

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Note, SCL5 / E5c isn't easy to drive (110 ohms and all). However, you can always sell it for more money (a brand new pair cost >$350 from dealer) and fund your next purchase. Since a cracked E500 doesn't really worth much at all, I'll say go for the swap.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 7
I have compared both models some time ago, and that's what I remember about them:
SCL5 have much more reliable wires, which hovewer makes them quite uncomfortable. It took me much more time that with 530 to get a more or less comfortable seal. They sound nothing like SE420 (to my ears at least).
They have much deeper bass that 530, but their mids are played much less powerfully which causes some dissonance between bass and mids. Highs are nothing special on both of them but on 530 they can cause sibilance (again, for my ears - although there are lots of people here who thinks their highs to be slightly rolled off). SCL5 have wider soundstage.
I believe that SCL5 is much less "musical" model, and, although you will hear more details and much deeper bass impact in them (and wires seem to be very durable), I'd take 530 in your case.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 7
I believe the E500s have only been out about 2 years, I picked up a pair right about the time they were released and just sent mine back for replacement (cracked cable). I didnt have my receipt just filled out the RMA form from their site, and sent them in with a reference to the date code on the connector.

They sent me a new pair out the day they received mine.

May be worth a shot to just send them in, unless you know your significantly over the 2 year mark, but I cant believe its by much. Shure has excellent service.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 7
I had E500's with cracked wires and replaced them under warranty one month before the warranty expired. Shure sent me new E530s (which I'm selling if anyone is interested).

I also have e5c's which have heavier wire and are harder to wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back