shure scl4 vs. Klipsch X5 anyone?
Feb 4, 2010 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

lord of volume

100+ Head-Fier
I swear i searched but nothing on these. big fan of the shures but don't know about the x5? Source would just be my apple macbook pro or iphone or shuffle 2g gen. thanks guys! youre the best!
atsmile.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 18
Klipsch X5 are seems to be better because they shows more details in mids and highs with great bass extention.

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord of volume /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I swear i searched but nothing on these. big fan of the shures but don't know about the x5? Source would just be my apple macbook pro or iphone or shuffle 2g gen. thanks guys! youre the best!
atsmile.gif

The x5s are very nice. I almost bought a pair but then The HJE900s went on sale. Great headphones for sure. Any pair of shures I ever listened to were too cold. The x5s have good separation, mids, isolation, and clear bass. The bass is nice, definitely not as excessive as some bass-head phones but it's got enough. If you listen to trance, metal, or hip hop you won't be disappointed.

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 18
I have the X1 and its impressive very comfortable the shures are comfy as well, just thought of going up a notch to see whats there, since I workout with the X1 and want a better set for sleeping and immersing myself in sonic landscapes. woooooo

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

I have the X1 and its impressive very comfortable the shures are comfy as well, just thought of going up a notch to see whats there, since I workout with the X1 and want a better set for sleeping and immersing myself in sonic landscapes. woooooo

did you say sleeping? I'm not sure how durable these are. So if you toss and turn and yank on the cable they may not be for you. I think they may fare better than some of the other klipsch models though, but I don't have any testing on the matter so I really shouldn't be commenting.

Oh and read up on the HJE900s they are $110 bucks at J&R(which is a steal) may not be for everyone until they calm down(burn in) and you mod them.

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinobi00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you say sleeping? I'm not sure how durable these are. So if you toss and turn and yank on the cable they may not be for you. I think they may fare better than some of the other klipsch models though, but I don't have any testing on the matter so I really shouldn't be commenting.

this could be true. hmmmmm. must ponder on that one. thanks didn't think of that one at all.

I love this place, it makes me poor but man its fun.
dt880smile.png

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 18
Feb 5, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

X5s do have good bass extension, detail and warm mids, dont think you could sleep in them, they tend to stick out horizontally too much.
I use my RE0s for that, they are very flush in the ear.
Wearing a bike helmet the X5s, no way, RE0s easy.
X5s are a very comfy fit though, so if you dont roll over you might be alright.

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 18
I have the X5's. I had the SCL4's for awhile before selling them.

The sound signatures of these two are similar. I like them both. But the X5 is more comfortable, and the sound of the X5 is a little smoother -- I'd say just slightly more warm, but not lacking in high end either.

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 18
I had the E4c which is basically the same as SCL4. I was not impressed or satisfied. I was almost satisfied when I got the E5c. Is there a certain type of music that you will be listening to?

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 18
I've had both.

The SCL4's will have better mids & mid-bass, more durable, but possibly less comfortable. They can be worn over-ear for me, which is a plus.

The X5's will have much more high-end treble, somewhat recessed mids in comparison to the shure's. Slightly more bass than the SCL4, (but only slightly-more). For me, I couldnt wear them over-ear because of the style (HUGE minus for me...) as a result, more microphonics w/ the X5. Cable also appears less durable than the Shure cable.

While the X5 will have more sparkle, for me, SCL4 is better. I'm probably in the minority though.

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had both.

The SCL4's will have better mids & mid-bass, more durable, but possibly less comfortable. They can be worn over-ear for me, which is a plus.

The X5's will have much more high-end treble, somewhat recessed mids in comparison to the shure's. Slightly more bass than the SCL4, (but only slightly-more). For me, I couldnt wear them over-ear because of the style (HUGE minus for me...) as a result, more microphonics w/ the X5. Cable also appears less durable than the Shure cable.

While the X5 will have more sparkle, for me, SCL4 is better. I'm probably in the minority though.

so would your outcome be because of the durability of the Shure over the Klipsch?

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

so would your outcome be because of the durability of the Shure over the Klipsch?

not necessarily the durability (never had problems w/ the Klipsch's, they just appear less durable,) but rather the fit, and sound to a certain degree.

I am completely hooked on wearing iems' over the ears, and though I try enjoying iems w/ cords down, they always feel less secure in the ear, and microphonics always suffer.

I say sound to a certain degree because I prefer the mids & mid-bass of the scl4's and found them generally less fatiguing than the X5's. If I'm in the mood for more treble, the X5's have it. I guess I'm just saying that the SCL4's are smoother to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back