SHURE - Returned SE530 - What is SER010 ????
Dec 25, 2009 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

DDW

100+ Head-Fier
I just received a package from Shure with "Replacement" earphones.

My SE530 earphones were "JUST" over 2 years old, so unfortunately, SHURE would not cover my "DEFECTIVE" earphones under warranty.

My right earphone was loosing sound and there was a short somewhere in the wire connector - no split wire casing.

I talked to their Customer Service department who told me to fill out a form and send the defective earphones in. I was told they could replace them for $149.

I BABIED the HECK out of my Shure earphones and only used probably a couple hundred hours "VERY" CAREFULLY!!!!!

Personally, I expect WAY more durability for the amount of money I paid and how EXTREMELY careful I was with those earphones. So, honestly, I am NOT happy with having to pay for replacements even if at a discount and even if out of warranty.

But, my concern and question is:

The earphones they sent to me look very similar to my SE530's, but they came in a bag labeled SER010 and the receipt says:

Model # SER010 replacements for the SE530.

However, I can't find SER010 listed ANYWHERE on the Shure website and I can't find any information online anywhere that confirms "WHAT" SER010 earphones are.

So, What the heck are SER010 earphones??????

Are they the same as SE530's?

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 29
I'm sure it's just the factory's version of labeling the Shure products. Besides, a model number like that is definitely not consumer-friendly.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure it's just the factory's version of labeling the Shure products. Besides, a model number like that is definitely not consumer-friendly.

Good Point! What looks different about them op?

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.....how do they sound?

Well.... I just stuck them in my ears a few minutes ago - after writing my first post.

I received them via UPS today (errr.... 24th actually - yesterday I guess - It is 25th and 1:30 a.m. now - Merry Christmas!) But, I was at in-laws all day and didn't get package until LATE night. I had not opened them prior to my first post and literally just opened right after posting.... I am on about my 5th song.

For the most part, sounds at least as good as my SE530's did.....

But, Bass could be a bit more defined/refined (seems to be improving as I listen ????)..... Maybe they need some burn in. I can't remember. But, I seem to recall something about burn in for the first ones (?????).

However, I am ALSO, listening to them via my computer through iBasso D10 which I only received a few days ago. I am used to listening to my old SE530's through my iPod Classic 5.5 without amp. I don't have my iPod nearby right now.

So.... my inputs are ALL different.

In many ways the sound is MUCH better, but I would have to feel VERY confident that is related to the iBasso D10 more than the Shures (?????) - I think it is safe to assume as much (?????)

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pictures?

I don't have my camera handy right now.

And I don't have the old SE530's anymore to do a side by side comparison picture.

I honestly never tried to memorize the exact details of the SE530. They came in a factory sealed box that said what they were. I never questioned what my SE530's were.

When my SE530's started to fail, I was VERY dissappointed and looked over them VERY carefully to confirm what I already knew about how well I took care of them. They still looked like new. But, I wasn't looking to memorize shape or notice numbers or info.

From memory, I DO remember the old ones had an L and a R on the inside and "SHURE" on the outside. These new ones have the same.

The Shell/bodies seem to be the same as best I can remember. And from a quick search on Shure's website, it doesn't appear any of their other models have a similar shell/body (????????). So, from that aspect, I sort of felt there must be some similarity between the SE530 and these SER010's (???????).

On the other hand, for all I know the insides, drivers, etc. could be different.

The sound "signature" seems very similar - even if apparently improved by the iBasso.

The only noticable difference is the tips. My old tips were more rubbery. These new tips are a bit more foamy rubber and more squishable (is that a word?) But, these new tips don't seem to go as far into my ear. Still working at and trying to adjust to a new tip feel/fit.

In ANY event, it seems to me that Shure should have documentation supporting what the heck earphones are they are sending out.

Why send me "Replacement" earphones with a different model number????

If the model numbers are different, shouldn't Shure provide info supporting they are the same or improved replacements??????????

Heck.... I had to PAY for these. I don't like not knowing what I received and not seeing ANY info on Shures website to support what the heck I received.

I sure would like to KNOW!!!!!

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure it's just the factory's version of labeling the Shure products.

confused.gif

What do you mean? Sorry for not following.

While typing this, I just found some pint on the male connector cable that says: "2839 SE530".

The earphones themselves have NO indication of what they are. But, I guess the connector should suffice (?????).

Still strange to me they would ship them in a bag labeled "SER010" and print on the invoice: "Model # SER010 - Replacement for SE530".

I don't get why they use a different model number.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should email them and ask them whats going on.

I am sure I will.

I just don't expect to be able to get hold of anyone till next week if I am lucky.

I figured "Maybe" someone here might know and could shed some light on what seems mysterious to me.

When I made my first post, I was actually reluctant to even open the package if they shipped me the wrong earphones and in the event I needed to return them.

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #11 of 29
Warranty / replacement usually works by replacing with same model or of same value / class. I think that is probably what the 'SER010' is all about. You should email them nonetheless.

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Warranty / replacement usually works by replacing with same model or of same value / class. I think that is probably what the 'SER010' is all about. You should email them nonetheless.

Maybe so. But, this was a "Replacement" of sorts, it wasn't actually a "Warranty" coverage.

According to Shure, this was Shure being nice and offering replacements at a HIGHLY discounted price.

But, I had to PAY for these replacements!!!!!!!! And I don't consider what I paid for the replacements to be an insignificant amount.

Even if discounted, these were CLEARLY earphones the failed prematurely (even if out of warranty). They were EXTREMELY well taken care of and babied.

So, considering how much I paid for these earphones the first time, how EXTREMELY careful I was with them and then having to pay a significant amount to replace them. I am NOT happy to have to pay for the replacements in the first place.

Receiving "Mystery" meat earphone packaging was and still is unsettling to me.
I am a little more relieved to have found SE530 stamped (fine thin print) on the male connector.

But, still. I am NOT happy about having to have paid.

I sent the defective ones back with a letter explaining how well I took care of them and asking them to consider not charging for the replacements. But, I "HAD" to send card info and they charged me anyway.

I knew about the wire issues associated with Shure earphones prior to purchasing these. But, I figured if I took extremely good care of them, they should last for a long time.

I take EXTREMELY good care of my stuff as a RULE anyway. But, I went way above and beyond with these earphones.

- I always kept these in their case and never allowed the case to be crushed in any way - It was never allowed to be anywhere where it "might" possibly get crushed. I never carried it tossed in a bag/backpack or similar with junk. Even the case was EXTREMELY guarded and protected.

- I always VERY carefully coiled up the wires to "just" fit in the case - I made sure to never coil too tightly or kink or bend any of the wires.

- I NEVER pulled out the earphones by the wires or put ANY other stress on the wires or connections. I always handled by the shells.

- I cleaned the wires to prevent the "Rediculous" issues claiming body oils break down the wires. I have never heard of any other wires having such sensitivity issues.

- I am sort of extreme for some people in that I shower at least twice a day and I always Q-tip my ears after showering - I hate water in my ears - so my ears are generally pretty clean. I never saw ANY wax build up in my earphones. But, I checked and cleaned anyway.

------------------------

After owning for a bit over two years, my Shure SE530's still looked NEW!!!!

And I just didn't have that many hours of use on them - regardless of age.

I loved the sound signature of the Shure's. As most know, the mid-range is VERY nice. Personally, I wish they had more defined and refined bass and getting them fit and set "Just Right" in the ears took constant tweaking for me, but otherwise, I thought they "sounded" great anyway.

That said, I will find it VERY hard to recommend Shure.

I understand "SOME" electronic devices having a 1 - 2 year warranty. In many cases, "SOME" electronics devalue in 1-2 years anyway.

But, HIGH END and VERY EXPENSIVE electronic equipment should last a LOT longer. I have "HEAD"phones that have lasted WAY longer without fail or wire issues. I have a pair of OLD AKG headphones that still work VERY well that are over 25 years old.

I can expect or accept "CHEAP" speakers, headphones, or earphones to fail after 2-5 years. Some "CHEAP" earphones are $10 - $25. I wouldn't be bothered with them failing after 2 years.

But, the SHURE earphones are NOT CHEAP and should EASILY qualify as VERY HIGH END equipment at their price. Their sound pretty well qualifies. But, the durability and apparent build quality DOES NOT Qualify.

IMO, Shure should have significantly better warranty coverage for such high end equipment. Especially after having such a LONG history of issues on their Top of the Line earphones.

If the equipment is abused, I think I could understand them not covering.

But, considering how MINT/PERFECT my earphones were maintained, I expected them to last WAY longer. AND I would have somewhat expected SHURE to go out of there way and possibly extend the warranty to cover what was CLEARLY an unacceptable level of durability and longevity of such highly well maintained equipment.

I don't have much experience with other high end earphones (yet
frown.gif
), but based on this experience with Shure, I have serious doubts about my future with Shure. And similarly can't recommend because of such inadequate durability and longevity of performance.

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 29
If you want to have your shure's to last a long time , then I suggest to not roll or coil the cable up to fit in the box , all the rolling up and unrolling puts stress on the cables , which causes small breaks in the copper wiring which inturn turns into bigger breaks which eventually turns into a complete break . Also if your cables are coiled up or twisted in the very least , hold your IEM"s up by the speaker housing and let the cables untwist bythemselves before plugging them into your DAP .

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by RBYRER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to have your shure's to last a long time , then I suggest to not roll or coil the cable up to fit in the box , all the rolling up and unrolling puts stress on the cables , which causes small breaks in the copper wiring which inturn turns into bigger breaks which eventually turns into a complete break . Also if your cables are coiled up or twisted in the very least , hold your IEM"s up by the speaker housing and let the cables untwist bythemselves before plugging them into your DAP .

How is that MOST EVERY Other portable earphone and even cables on cans can handle being "lightly" coiled??????

AND, why would Shure even supply a "Portable Oval Case" for the earphones if they were not able to handle being coiled up and put into the case????

pa628.jpg

These are "PORTABLE" earphones "CLEARLY" intended for on the go use!!!

I DID coil my earphone cables.... as I feel they should be able to handle. But, I also did so as CAREFULLY as I possibly could trying not to kink, bend sharply, twist, etc.

The amount of coiling I did to put the earphones/cables in the case is no more than the EVERY SINGLE use amount of coil the cable would need to handle to wrap behind my ears!

Further, most any electrical copper wiring I know of can handle gentle coiling. I am not talking about sharp bending here.

And I always make sure my cables are not twisted or kinked.

I could believe that over MANY years Lots of coiling and more so kinking and twisting (that I tried to avoid) could start to slowly wear down the wires.
But, most other wires can handle it for MANY YEARS and WAY more stress than my Shure cables ever experienced. These are VERY expensive high end earphones "Designed" and "intended" for portable use. To me, it is Clear there are cables that can handle gentle coiling and at this price point Shure should DANG sure provide MORE than sufficient quality cables to handle portable use and coiled storage to put in the storage case provided by the maker!

I don't know if I can stress enough how careful I tried to be with these rediculously sensitive and CLEARLY HIGHLY prone to failure Shure cables!

I am not going to be convinced that the "gentle" coiling I did to put the SE530's in case the provided and intended to store and protect the cables was "sufficient justification" for the "Premature" failing of my Shure earphones.

The cables should be able to handle WAY more than my HIGHLY pampered and cared for cables had to deal with.

I have seen MANY cables WAY more abused on extreme daily basis last for MANY years.

Mine were comparitively rarely used and HIGHLY pampered and still failed WAY prematurely!

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #15 of 29
Is this a JOKE or something??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back