Shure Refused Warranty On My E500s
Aug 5, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #76 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by mister__big /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the warranty policies of other established companies out there, I would have to say that Shure's is probably one of the most draconian.

Quote:

Here's an interesting twist: Shure HK originally told me that they would not warranty my E500 because, and I quote, "According to Shure policy, the 2-year-limited warranty only grants to earphones which were purchased from authorized distributors or resellers. Please be advised that to read and understand the terms and conditions in your warranty card that came with the package." So basically they are saying that what is on the warranty card is the final word.
[...]
They basically lied to me, saying that the warranty card stated something when it obviously doesn't.

Whatever hope you have of getting what you want from Shure is not going to be enhanced with statements like these. I disagree their stated warranty policy is unusually strict, much less draconian. It is actually all too common, unfortunately. Try getting a warranty claim with Sony when your PS3 dies, for example. It looks like Shure are finally tightening up their warrranty delivery to match their stated warranty policy. I'm sorry if that is the case because they were always an example of stellar customer service because, compared to others, they went the extra mile. I guess now it is no better than elsewhere. Sad to see.

As to them lying to you -- I don't think so. They stated exactly what their warranty policy is today. And they advised you to read and understand the warranty card that came with your product, which you have only recently done after having already had numerous contacts with them. That was good advice. And, as it happens, you have the older warranty in your package and I think it is your best hope to still get a warranty claim. But, you will alienate the human beings you have to work with if you don't dial down your war words.

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #77 of 151
To everyone: The reason I have not sent in my E500 into Shure Asia yet is because I want clear confirmation that my earphones will be repaired under warranty before I send them in. Otherwise there is a strong possibility they will be sent right back to me, not repaired, at my own cost. As Sugarfried implied in his PM to me, Shure Asia has tighter policies than Shure USA due to (in his own words) "many reseller breaking the rules." I'm not sure why Shure is putting the onus on the end-user for their reseller breaking the rules when they should discipline the reseller instead.

@Arjisme: Actually if you read all of my conversation with Shure posted in this thread, you will see that I have been nothing but cordial with them. Occasionally I did use stronger language to get the point across, but never anything that crossed the line. The post you are specifically referring to was not sent to Shure, just my vent on this board.

Besides, it's an easy thing to say when you are on the other side of the fence. I'm sure you would not take too kindly either if you found out that you had just been misled, then subsequently ignored, by a supposedly reputable company.

Aug 5, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #78 of 151
Actually I've bought stuff from unauthorised dealer- 3 URC remote controls, one has gone faulty. I'm pretty annoyed but I'm not expecting them to honour the warranty. I took a chance buying it from unauthorised dealer and it's my own fault. I've saved money from the other two remotes anyway.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #79 of 151
Quote:

@Arjisme: Actually if you read all of my conversation with Shure posted in this thread, you will see that I have been nothing but cordial with them. Occasionally I did use stronger language to get the point across, but never anything that crossed the line. The post you are specifically referring to was not sent to Shure, just my vent on this board.

That's good to know. It wasn't clear to me what was actually said and I wanted to raise a flag to keep it courteous to get the best chance for success. It is interesting, btw, the additional bit you posted from Sugarfried regarding Shure Asia being more strict. This is something I suspected but never had to deal with. My experience with Shure USA has been as stated previously. Given what he says, I still think your last best chance is to cite the warranty that came with your phones and request they cover based on it, since it was the policy at the time of purchase.

Aug 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #80 of 151
If Shure offers a written warranty, certain laws dictate (1) what disclosure is required in its written warranty, and (2) what terms cannot be waived unless explicitly said so in that written warranty. In other words, Shure is not required by law to spell out every limitation of its written warranty to make them stick. I do not believe that Shure is required to spell out its policy on authorized dealers to make it stick.

Virtually all manufacturers will not honor a warranty on something bought from an unauthorized seller. Every consumer, including myself, has learned this lesson through a sour experience. So I would suggest you chalk this one up to experience.

I believe that Shure does replace out-of-warranty products for some fee. It's not as good as getting it replaced for free, but it is cheaper than buying a new pair. You can look into that.

I have returned Shure earphones (purchased from authorized dealers) to Shure in the past. In my experience they went beyond other companies, including replacing for free earphones clearly broken by my fault or out of the warranty period.

Someone else in this thread asked about whether warranties are transferable. Federal law requires that written warranties for consumer goods be specified as "full" or "limited". A manufacturer that offers a full warranty cannot limit its warranty to the first purchaser. A manufacturer that offers a limited warranty can limit its warranty to the first purchaser.

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #82 of 151
Quote:

@HeadphoneAddict: Thanks for the info and glad to hear that you managed to get yours fixed. Unfortunately since I live in Asia, I cannot send my E500s to Shure USA and I have to send them to Shure Asia. The problem is that Shure Asia is sticking by their "policy" and refusing to honor the warranty at all.

Warranty service is generally provided by the Importer/Distributor for the country/area in question. If you purchase an item in the U.S. any warranty would be in the U.S. For all you know the Singapore Shure Importer may put a different warranty card in with the items that they distribute (I'm not saying that's the case). The Singaporean distributor did not make a dime on your purchase, why should they service them? Based upon what the OP has posted about the stated warranty I'd say that Shure USA should honor the warranty, but the OP should cover all shipping charges.

I am an importer, and most of our products have a Limited Lifetime Warranty, but it is if it is purchased from an authorized US dealer. If you purchased a set of my cables while you were visiting in Europe and you have a problem, you'd have to take it up with the distributor for the country in which you purchased the goods.

This type of policy is the only real disincentive against purchasing Grey Market goods.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #83 of 151
@Yikes: If you have read my posts you would see that I have NEVER asked Shure's Singapore distributor to solve the problem for me. I went straight to Shure because I didn't purchase the E500 from the Singapore distributor, hence I know they have no obligation to help me on this issue. That's why I went directly to Shure because based on their warranty policies stated online (and also in the box as I later found out), I can send the E500s back to Shure and they would repair them for me.

@thisbenjamin: Here's the warranty which I attached to my post which you could not open:

LIMITED WARRANTY
Shure Incorporated ("Shure") hereby warrants that this product will be free in normal use of any defects in materials and workmanship for a period of two years from the date of purchase. At its option Shure will repair or replace the defective product and promptly return it to you, or refund the purchase price. You should retain proof of purchase to validate the purchase date and return it with any warranty claim.

If you believe this product is defective within the warranty period, carefully repack the unit, insure it and return it postage prepaid to Shure Incorporated, Attention: Service Department, at the address below.

Outside of the United States, retum the product to your dealer or Authorized Service
Center.

This warranty does not apply in cases of abuse or misuse of the product, use contrary to Shure's instruction, ordinary wear and tear, an act of God or unauthorized repair. All implied WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE are hereby disclaimed and Shure hereby disclaims liability for incidental, special, or consequential damages resulting from the use or unavailability of this product.

Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, or the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from state to state. This warranty does not restrict the rights of the consumer mandated under applicable laws.

THIS WARRANTY SUPERSEDES ALL OTHER WARRANTlES THAT ARE ASSOCIATED OR
INCLUDED WITH THIS PRODUCT.

Aug 6, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #84 of 151
Sorry, you have to deal with this, but Shure's warranty policy is far from draconian. I've had 3 headphones replaced by them (i bought from an authorized dealer).

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #85 of 151
Hi guys, sorry it took me some time to register in this forum. I still have loads of marketing/sales/distribution stuff to sort out on my end.

To OP, since you are in Singapore, you are my responsibility, regardless where you bought the product from.

Would you mind dropping me an e-mail with full details on what the exact faults with the product is? Let me see what I can work out for you. Again, as my usual style, because this is actually entirely out of my control, I will not promise that I can give the most satisfactory response. But I will do whatever is within my ability.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Rank aka Cyric
email : rank@grandtech.com.sg

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #86 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys, sorry it took me some time to register in this forum. I still have loads of marketing/sales/distribution stuff to sort out on my end.

To OP, since you are in Singapore, you are my responsibility, regardless where you bought the product from.

Would you mind dropping me an e-mail with full details on what the exact faults with the product is? Let me see what I can work out for you. Again, as my usual style, because this is actually entirely out of my control, I will not promise that I can give the most satisfactory response. But I will do whatever is within my ability.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Rank aka Cyric
email : rank@grandtech.com.sg

Cool, it's great you want to help him!

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #87 of 151
Cyric, nice to hear that. the ex distributor doesn't even entertain those Shure products that is bought from overseas authorise dealer.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #88 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cyric, nice to hear that. the ex distributor doesn't even entertain those Shure products that is bought from overseas authorise dealer.

Well, technically I'll try to help from the point of a channel/product executive, because just as the previous distributor, we won't openly entertain products bought from unauthorized distributors. That is actually to be fair to our local authorized distributors.

However, we will still entertain walk-ins who have receipts, not on a straight out 1 to 1 exchange basis, but our tech support will liase with Shure HK to verify if the product was bought from an authorized source.

For those of you who bought stuff from ebay or if you're unsure if your source is authorized, please drop me an e-mail first before coming down. That way I can at least do my best to ensure that you will get a satisfactory reply.

At the end of the day, as long as you bought a Shure, I want you to experience only the best that I can offer. Of course, my rice bowl is still reliant on you guys, so please do not encourage overseas purchase in Singapore. Otherwise I will soon be out of job.
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #89 of 151
Its nice to see Cyric pop up. =P

Although there's a limited amount that he could do for the OP since he bought from an unauthorised source, it is comforting to know that go-the-extra-mile customer service still exists in Singapore. Albeit a rarity nowadays.

Maybe this one will go down amicably resolved.

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #90 of 151
@Cyric: Thanks a lot for offering to help, I appreciate it since you are not obliged to do so and I understand you are simply doing it out of goodwill. I will forward you the receipt. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back