Shure Questions
Jan 17, 2009 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

berniebennybernard

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone please explain to me what the PTH for some Shure headphones stand for?

Shure * - Push to Hear (PTH) Control

From the looks of it, it's an accessory? Or is it built into the cable like a microphone adapter?

Do I push the button and the noise around me goes into the microphone and into the earbuds?

Thanks,
Bernie

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 26
it's an acessory.

The device is used to hear what people around you say without removing your iem. It has a microphone on the jack and is battery powered.

Most people find it useless and I must agree with them because I have the PTH and I haven't touched it since I originally opened the box about 2 years ago.

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone please explain to me what the PTH for some Shure headphones stand for?

Shure * - Push to Hear (PTH) Control

From the looks of it, it's an accessory? Or is it built into the cable like a microphone adapter?

Do I push the button and the noise around me goes into the microphone and into the earbuds?

Thanks,
Bernie

PTH stands for "Push To Hear". It is a device in which when the button is pressed it stops the audio signal from the media player and activates the mic which transmits your environmental sounds to your earphones. So you can have conversations with out taking out your earphones.

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 26
It's an inline monitor that has a microphone attached. Basically, you hold the switch and it activates the microphone and you basically hear through the microphone. I have yet to decide whether I should get the SE530, or with the PTH.

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's an inline monitor that has a microphone attached. Basically, you hold the switch and it activates the microphone and you basically hear through the microphone. I have yet to decide whether I should get the SE530, or with the PTH.

Just get the SE530 because when I have my 530's on and I pause the music I can hear my surroundings enough to hold a conversation but as soon as I play the music again I'm in my own musical world.

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 26
I quite like it for when I'm on my Vespa in Cayman or my Atom in the US. I bought a second PTH device for my Atom passengers. Actually, my passengers get to wear the SE530 inside of their helmets. I use the PTH with my UE 10-Pro. It works great so long as the microphone is out of the direct wind flow.

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 26
It's useful, but not really a necessity. But it does pick up some sounds that you normally wont

Jan 18, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 26
It's not practical. It's silly to carry around such a bulky thing and worry where to put them.. the steel back scratches your ipod. When no music is playing, you can hear a conversation clearly with most IEMs.

Plus, you are gonna have a 100+ inch cable down from your headphone to your ipod.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 26
One more quick question. Someone wants to sell me a pair of SE500. He says they're identical to the SE530. I do a little research on Google and someone says that they're the same except for housing and that I were to RMA the 500s, I'd get the 530s back.

So, sonically, they're the same? Just the 500s are 1st G, and 530s are 2nd G? He's selling them for about 70 bucks cheaper than the next pair of SE530s on the B&S, so I'm very interested of course, assuming they're the same.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #11 of 26
I also like the PTH device. I wouldn't consider using it in a portable setting (i.e. jogging, walking around, etc.) because it does add bulk, but in an office setting I quite like it. With my old IEMs I used to have to pull them out whenever anyone came into my office, but now that I have the PTH I just flick the switch, have a conversation and flick it back and I'm back to my music.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

One more quick question. Someone wants to sell me a pair of SE500. He says they're identical to the SE530. I do a little research on Google and someone says that they're the same except for housing and that I were to RMA the 500s, I'd get the 530s back.

So, sonically, they're the same? Just the 500s are 1st G, and 530s are 2nd G? He's selling them for about 70 bucks cheaper than the next pair of SE530s on the B&S, so I'm very interested of course, assuming they're the same.

they're the same, i think the supplied tips are different though

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #13 of 26
is there any sound degradation when using PTH and if so how much?

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by crowley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they're the same, i think the supplied tips are different though

Does you know why Shure released the SE500, then the SE530 and removed all traces of the SE500? I Googled SE500, and there doesn't seem to be much info about them. Were they a limited release or something?

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does you know why Shure released the SE500, then the SE530 and removed all traces of the SE500? I Googled SE500, and there doesn't seem to be much info about them. Were they a limited release or something?

It's "E500", they changed the name because they introduced a new product line. The SE range. "SE110, SE210, SE310, SE420 and the SE530"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back