Shure or Westone?
Jan 2, 2010 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ajm

100+ Head-Fier
First off I would like to say hi to everyone. So, Im looking at purchasing a set of earphones for my cowon s9(mp3 player). After lots of research I like the Westone 1, shure se210, se310, and se420. I am thinking the westone 1 compares with the shure se210. I also really like both Westone and Shure's warranty. I mostly listen to techno, house and dont have access to listen to any of these earphones. And why I also put the shure se420 even though it is more expensive is I can get a good deal on it. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice to make my decision a little easier to make(ie pros and cons from personal experience). Thanks
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 13
Never heard the um1........but I wolud not pick any of the shures you list for the techno/house music preference. I would choose the se115 over any of the shures you listed for the bass they have compared to the se210-420, the 530 is a little different. It sonds nothing like the others. But is not in your price range. My 2 cents

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 13
Since you listen to techno/house, you would need an IEM that can deliver in the bass department. That being said, while some consider the Shure SE310 and lower lines of Shure's to have adequate bass, you may not feel the same when listening to your music.

I would suggest a dynamic driver IEM, as they deliver good bass impact while still maintaining details (depending on the type of dynamic driver you get).

I would suggest the Klipsch S4, Head-Direct RE0, and the Sennheiser IE7 (if you can afford it, if not, maybe try the Sennheiser IE6).

Check out those IEMs and do some research on them, and see what you like. These are just my suggestions, of course.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidVictory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest a dynamic driver IEM, as they deliver good bass impact while still maintaining details (depending on the type of dynamic driver you get).

I would suggest the Klipsch S4, Head-Direct RE0, and the Sennheiser IE7 (if you can afford it, if not, maybe try the Sennheiser IE6).

I would not bother to research about the RE0 and the IE7, they are not really suited for your type of music.
Klipsh S4 would be worth looking into. Other options for bass heavy IEMs (at a lower price that would satisfy your needs): CX300, EP-630, Monster Turbines or IE8 (may be out of your price range, but does a superb job!)

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 13
I cannot recommend Shure products. I've had several models of their IEMs, and I think they sound great but, their cords are terrible and prone to failure by shorting. I've owned three pairs and all three developed a short in the cable in less than a year. Unfortunately many others on this forum have had the same problem.

Until they start providing a user replaceable cable like on some of the Ultimate Ears and Sennhesier models, I give them a big thumbs down.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot recommend Shure products. I've had several models of their IEMs, and I think they sound great but, their cords are terrible and prone to failure by shorting. I've owned three pairs and all three developed a short in the cable in less than a year. Unfortunately many others on this forum have had the same problem.

Until they start providing a user replaceable cable like on some of the Ultimate Ears and Sennhesier models, I give them a big thumbs down.

agreed, they lack proper built quality (excellent example of well built IEMs is the IE8). Also lower-end shures do not justify their price IMO.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

When I bought my own pair of Shure SCL2s almost a year ago as a birthday present for myself, I was thinking along the line of "maybe Shure has already did something positive about its wire breakage problem with its eXc lineup". After seven months, the ugly truth stared back at me. The wire leading to the left 'phone developed hairline slices that run along the circumference of the wire itself. I noticed the said problem after I decided to bring out the 'phone from its casing to do some casual listening...when I noticed that there were streaks of oil running along the wire near the left 'phone and checked it at close range, there was the cracked/spliced wire.

I'd also echo the previous recommendations made by others: you'd be wasting your money if you go below the SE530 (maybe with the exception of SE115 and SCL2 despite their wire problems if sound quality is to be considered). If you can stretch your budget a lil' bit higher, better get a pair of UM2s, which are somewhat warmer or the Klipsch s4i, which has received rave reviews from many head-fi'ers if one were to take not of its bass response.

darthsmile.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off I would like to say hi to everyone. So, Im looking at purchasing a set of earphones for my cowon s9(mp3 player). After lots of research I like the Westone 1, shure se210, se310, and se420. I am thinking the westone 1 compares with the shure se210. I also really like both Westone and Shure's warranty. I mostly listen to techno, house and dont have access to listen to any of these earphones. And why I also put the shure se420 even though it is more expensive is I can get a good deal on it. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice to make my decision a little easier to make(ie pros and cons from personal experience). Thanks
ksc75smile.gif

My experience with Shure has been that their IEM's are built poorly and over time the wires end up breaking where they bend at the ear because they're too thick and non flexible. I'm not sure if their products still have the same build quality but that was my experience with them.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only at HF can the answer to the question "Shure or Westone" be "Klipsch."
smily_headphones1.gif

I can't agree more to your statement. Kudos!
darthsmile.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Exactly what I was coming on to post. I went through 3 pairs of e3g's and 2 pairs of SE310s (the first of which I got from Shure under serious protest as they essentially said it was my fault for storing the e3g's in THEIR provided case - even though they changed the design for the SE310 case) in 3 years. Won't give another penny to Shure until I hear of a dramatic improvement in their durability. I could have accepted the horrendous microphonics if the flip-side was the cable being robust, but they're dreadfully weak.

Now got the Westone UM2's as my main pair and despite how light they are, they feel a whoe different level of quality. Even my Nuforce NE-7Ms (which were less than a quarter of the price of the Shure) feel better built than the SE310s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back