Shure olives
Dec 11, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #31 of 84
umcloud, do you know if all IEM's share the same tip? seeing as you had the "olives" to fit onto your etymotics, im wondering if the etymotic ones share the same fitting as other brands, mainly sony.

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #32 of 84
If the Sonys you've got are the ones I'm thinking of, then the "stem" on them is a bit thicker than on the er6i, Shures, etc. The olives have a hard plastic tube going down the center, so if it's not just the right size than it'll be tough to get on. But it sounded like someone successfully removed the tube to fit them on a larger-stemmed IEM (I think someone mentioned it in a previous post?) So maybe check that out or do a search, and see if someone's gotten it to work.

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #33 of 84
ohh so i see. thank you :) ill see if i can make my own first. (dads bringing home earplugs from work) but if they fail to work then i guess shure is my only reliable option. unless you guys are aware of some other company that make foam tips very similiar to olives that fit a larger tip?

Dec 11, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #34 of 84
Do these olives fit on im716s?

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #35 of 84
I just pulled out an olive (from my ridiculous tip/sleeve collection), and no, they do not fit the 716s. At least I could not jam one on the end of the 716. The Shure soft flex tips, which are not olives but rather are gray, bulbous-type silicone tips (and often confused with olives), do fit. The mediums are too tight for my ears (I have some of those too), but the smalls are comfy and provide a good seal.

Dec 11, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #36 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by umcloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. The new Shure black foams are the "olives". The silicone ones don't have a nickname that I'm aware of, because nobody really seems to care about them.

To those who keep saying I'm wrong, lets do a little picture education:

img_science_olive_oil.jpg

Actual Olives. Notice the shape. Keep that in mind:

A simple Google Image search of Shure Olives:
shure_200x200.jpg

site_img_us_pa_softflexgray_l.jpg

Notice the same shape as the 1st image.

site_img_pa_pa910_l.jpg

Now why on earth are you people calling that the Olives? Looks nothing like an Olive!

Dec 11, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #37 of 84
Olives_m414599.jpg

Hm..those are olives too
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #38 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by torpy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Olives_m414599.jpg

Hm..those are olives too
wink.gif

That have had the bottom curve chopped off.

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #41 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To those who keep saying I'm wrong, lets do a little picture education:

img_science_olive_oil.jpg

Actual Olives. Notice the shape. Keep that in mind:

A simple Google Image search of Shure Olives:
shure_200x200.jpg

site_img_us_pa_softflexgray_l.jpg

Notice the same shape as the 1st image.

site_img_pa_pa910_l.jpg

Now why on earth are you people calling that the Olives? Looks nothing like an Olive!

Were the pics to complicated?

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #42 of 84
Calling the one that looks least like an Olive the actual Olive, is like calling this a Vette:
79Chevette.JPG

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #43 of 84
Quote:

Were the pics to complicated?

Yes. Let's go back and retroactively change the nickname that was invented on this forum. While we're at it, Grado "bowls" should be changed to "circles with one concave side and a hole through the middle", because they clearly don't resemble any bowls that I've ever seen. And don't even get me started on these "woodies" I keep hearing about.

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #44 of 84
Lighten up, I'm only messing with you guys here...call 'em turd tips for all I care!

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #45 of 84
Quote:

Lighten up, I'm only messing with you guys here...call 'em turd tips for all I care!

Heh, that's not bad actually - and it's what the included Ety foamies look like after about 3 days of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back