Shure olives
Dec 10, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 84
They are the only foam-type tips I will use. They are very comfy, offer terrific seal and can be easily washed. They do lose elasticity over time but they last pretty long.

There is plenty of info on them. Try doing some searches and you'll find tons of impressions.

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you cant use them on super fi 5 pros, u can use em on shure's and westones and some etymotics

There's a mod that you can do to use them on the Super.fi pros

Dec 10, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 84
how do you wash them>??
biggrin.gif
and how long does it take before you replace them.?? sorry for the stupid question, i m scared of destroying these foamies since its not readily available in the Philippines..
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 84
Only issue with the im616s (and 716s too) is the olives are short, and your filters can get clogged quicker due to the closeness to the end of the sound stem. Just a warning. I used olives with 616s, and had to replace the filters in a month. Now, I use FS foamies and they are longer, so less close to the end of the sound tube.filter.

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #11 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only issue with the im616s (and 716s too) is the olives are short, and your filters can get clogged quicker due to the closeness to the end of the sound stem. Just a warning. I used olives with 616s, and had to replace the filters in a month. Now, I use FS foamies and they are longer, so less close to the end of the sound tube.filter.

tstarn06, what are "FS foamies"? I'm currently in the hunt for the perfect ear tip for my im716's.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 84
Future Sonic brand, they come with the Atrios and I find them very soft, comfy, yet deliver a very good seal. The larges are actually more like medium (only come in large and small). One word of warning, they are tan colored and get dirty pretty quick, so I bought like 15 pair. I mean, they do last 3-4 weeks, but they get ugly. I tried the Ety black foamies, which are the same barrel shape as the FS foamies, but they are a little too thick and seem too tight. If they made the FS foamies in black, it would be a slam dunk. Anyway, I also tried the Comply large with the 616s/716s, but they too are a bit too fat. I have those on hand as well. I use the olives with my Atrios (no filters), and the FS foamies with the Altec-Lansing phones (same as I did with the Ety ER4Ps). Ah, the search for the perfect sleeves goes on.

Funny thing, I even have a pair of custom silicon sleeves that cost me $185, made for an old pair of FutureSonce EM3s, but they don't deliver enough bass when used with the 716s. Waste of money.

Did you get the podectomy on the 716s? I am going to send my to Drew at Moon Audio as a performance boost. I like them, but since they were $50 on buy.com, spending the extra $45 seems a good move.

Edit: I see your 716s are pod-less, so that answers my question. Was it a DIY project? That makes me too nervous. Better to let a pro do it in my case.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 84
tsarn, thanks for the help. I will for sure check the future sonic brand. I did do the podectomy on the 716's and honestly, as a fairly inexperienced solderer, it couldn't be easier. Heres the link for how to do it.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/im7...ectomy-200246/

As you can see, its really only a matter of 6 solder points (two for each wire, if including resitors) and applying heat shrink. The entire mod cost me $2.40. Theres a soldering iron at radio shack that cost me 7.99 that works fine, and it really does improve sound quality. But if you still feel nervous, send them to Drew! He does great work, and its worry free. Good luck, and thanks for the ear tip shout.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 84
No problem. Here's the link. Future Sonics, Inc.: Repl. Foam Sleeves (Large)

If buying 5 pair makes you nervous, I'd be glad to ship you a pair of larges to try. If you like them, you can return the favor. If not, no biggie (I have 20 pair on hand). I also have the Complys, but they seem too thick to me.

That mod sounds tempting, and I have no problems opening up a PC, etc. But the idea of a soldering iron scares me. As long as it makes a sound difference, guess I will spring for it.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 84
i bought some shure olives for my ATH-CK7s.... hope i can use the same mod for the super .fi with them.... any one else tried it with the CK7s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back