Shure olives
Dec 10, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #16 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcc84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tsarn, thanks for the help. I will for sure check the future sonic brand. I did do the podectomy on the 716's and honestly, as a fairly inexperienced solderer, it couldn't be easier. Heres the link for how to do it.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/im7...ectomy-200246/

As you can see, its really only a matter of 6 solder points (two for each wire, if including resitors) and applying heat shrink. The entire mod cost me $2.40. Theres a soldering iron at radio shack that cost me 7.99 that works fine, and it really does improve sound quality. But if you still feel nervous, send them to Drew! He does great work, and its worry free. Good luck, and thanks for the ear tip shout.

dcc, forget the FS foamies and the AL 716s. I had one set on nicely, but when I tried to use a second set, I just can't get the tube into the plastic inner sleeve on the foamie, so I ruined a pair. Disregard that idea. I thought they would work, but no go. Not worth ruining sleeves to force them on. I guess I got lucky the first time. Damn.

Weirdly enough, just on a whim I tried to get the silicone bi-flanges (medium) that came with the Atrio M5s (an FS phone) onto to 716s, and because it's very soft and pliable, they fit easily. And the 716s really sound great with the silicone sleeves. For some dumb reason, FS doesn't sell the silicone flanges as accessories (they ship you L/M/S with the M5s). They are black, and look good with the 716s too. I may have found my main tip for the 716s, quite by accident.

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #18 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcc84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn06, what are "FS foamies"? I'm currently in the hunt for the perfect ear tip for my im716's.

Maybe this should have been a PM but I have 5 pairs of the small and 5 pairs of the large FS foamies for sale. US$12.50 per 5 pairs including postage (non-credit card paypal payments only). PM me if interested.

(I have emailed admin re FS/FT forum as I am still unable to post on there).

Dec 11, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #20 of 84
i loved the shure black olives the moment I stuck them in my ear. I hated the clear silicon sleevs. Tolerated the black flex sleeves. Couldn't stand the tri/bi flanges.

I tried all the foamies I could. Butchered up Complies to make them shorter, hoping it would help but nothing did.

Finally wound up rolling my own foamies but they paled in comparison to the shure black olives.

I was on my first pair ever since they came out, so 8 months or so?

I washed them with a little hand soap and flushed with running water until I couldn't see anymore soap bubbles. Let them dry overnight.

Dec 11, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #21 of 84
The effort it took me to remove the inner tubing of the olives so I could use them on my sf5p was well worth it. The comfort is just many levels above the silicon flanges I used, especially the biflange (i know that seems obvious but the biflange was the only one that gave me a good seal). Now I can enjoy my iem's both sonically and comfortably. I think anyone thinking about buying some olives should do it, because it's well worth it imo.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #22 of 84
sorry you guys have probably or might not have seen my other posts but i must ask, are the black foamies compatible with sony MDR buds? I hear somethign sabout removing inner tubing. When removed will they fit?

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #23 of 84
Dec 11, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #24 of 84
ohh sorry i missed that but would shure foams fit sony's ear bud template?

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #25 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverknit3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ohh sorry i missed that but would shure foams fit sony's ear bud template?

Sorry but I don't know. I used this version Shure PA749 New Soft Sleeves for Shure SCL2, E2c, E2G only of the Olive to fit my JVC Marshmellows once I removed it grey rubber tube under the stock tips.

And my statement was to everyone in this thread that has been calling the wrong product the "olives".

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #27 of 84
come to think of it they do indeed look like olives. Is it true that its a 1 size fits all for sillicon fittings? If so, using deductive reasoning, wouldnt the foam ones fit as well? I'm sorry but im pretty desperate to find some foam sleeves for ym MDR's. x___x

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #28 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When they say olives, I think they are talking about these. Don't they look like olives?Shure PA910M Medium Black Foam Sleeves (5 pair)

Yeah that's the ones I was referring to - but in this case the description is wrong... that is why I was getting confused - it seems that some sites refer to them as 'foam sleves', which they are not (though Shure also make foam sleves)

Thanks to the earlier poster for the clarification!

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #29 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin 3:16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure Olives are silicone, not the foam as listed above in this thread.

Shure PA758 NEW Soft Flex Sleeve (5 pairs) for E1, E3, E4, E500, E5 and Westone UM1 and UM2

Looks like Olives hence them being called such. The others aren't.

Nope. The new Shure black foams are the "olives". The silicone ones don't have a nickname that I'm aware of, because nobody really seems to care about them.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #30 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that's the ones I was referring to - but in this case the description is wrong... that is why I was getting confused - it seems that some sites refer to them as 'foam sleves', which they are not (though Shure also make foam sleves)

Thanks to the earlier poster for the clarification!

You had it right the first time ... the ones in that link are the Shure black foams, nicknamed the "olives". And they are as great as everyone says!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back