Shure Olives vs. Shure Orange foamies?
Jan 19, 2009 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyway, anyone tried both or the Orange foamies?

I've cut it down to these two options for my Nuforce NE-7M's as the Comply's due to crape exchange rate = far too expensive.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 17
I'd definitely give the nod to the olives. I used to use the orange foamies on my marshmallows when I had them. They fit very well, but only lasted ~1-1.5 months for me. They also made my ears itch sometimes. The olives feel a bit softer and are much more durable. I also have no itch issues with them. I've been using my current pair of olives for 2.5 months and they show no signs of deterioration. They still compress and have the same "memory" effect as when I first used them. Oh and since they are black, you won't gross out others like how you would if you were to pull out a pair of heavily used comply or orange tips
wink.gif
..or at least that's the case for me with my wax-factory ears
beyersmile.png
edit: just noticed you'll be using them with the ne-7's. I'm not sure the olives will fit on them without some modding involving the innertube. The orange foamies for the e2c's may fit out of the box. Not 100% sure though. But in either case I'd say that the small amount of time needed to mod the olives would be well worth it.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 17
I remember using the yellow foamies back when I bought my e2c. Since e2's nozzle are slightly thicker, I'm not sure if it's the exact model.
IMO, olive are a way better choice.(and most will agree)
olives are softer, expand and isolate better, last a very long period of time and washable. And it's one of the VERY TOP rating eartips among all in terms of SQ.

If money isn't your concern, I'd recommend you comply though.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 17
I don't think anyone else can pick the tips you will like best - it is a completely personal decision based on the fit in your ears and IMHO you really just need to try them both.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
erm OP rules out complys, anyway ive never used the orange foams, i have a pair sitting unlooked at as ive used the olives and they are very very good, super soft and give me a great seal so never felt the need to even bother trying the orange ones

From your posts I can see you've had your se530 for a while - I bought mine recently and wanted to ask something regarding the foam tips. I never liked foam tips (maybe because many years ago I had koss the plug, god, were they annoying). With se530 I undid foamies straightaway when I bought them and put grey rubber ones on. Shures sounded good, but two days ago I just wanted to give foamies a go for a while - and I've been shocked since. se530 sound completely different, much much better. Treble is so much prominent with foamies I can't believe it's the same headphone. If someone calls this rolled off treble, IE8 I had before had no treble at all. Also bass is much tighter and more readable, less boomy..if you know what I mean. Do you think a tip can change the sound so much? Or is it just because the olives have a much bigger hole diameter - you can see all the way down the nozzle, where rubber tips have only a tiny hole?

Jan 20, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, anyone tried both or the Orange foamies?

I've cut it down to these two options for my Nuforce NE-7M's as the Comply's due to crape exchange rate = far too expensive.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm in the same position as you. Unfortunately Shure Olives are reported to not fit to the Nuforce NE-7M
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From your posts I can see you've had your se530 for a while - I bought mine recently and wanted to ask something regarding the foam tips. I never liked foam tips (maybe because many years ago I had koss the plug, god, were they annoying). With se530 I undid foamies straightaway when I bought them and put grey rubber ones on. Shures sounded good, but two days ago I just wanted to give foamies a go for a while - and I've been shocked since. se530 sound completely different, much much better. Treble is so much prominent with foamies I can't believe it's the same headphone. If someone calls this rolled off treble, IE8 I had before had no treble at all. Also bass is much tighter and more readable, less boomy..if you know what I mean. Do you think a tip can change the sound so much? Or is it just because the olives have a much bigger hole diameter - you can see all the way down the nozzle, where rubber tips have only a tiny hole?

well i cant say ive used the gray rubbers long enough to notice details in the difference, usually people say they enhance the treble so it makes me think that simply u didint have that great a seal with them and you now do with the olives.

olives are the best tips ive used on anything, no question for me

Jan 20, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #10 of 17
my e2c foamies were great, never got sore and always provided a great seal

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #12 of 17
olives for me is better

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 17
Olives are definitely more comfortable, but the orange foamies aren't too bad, not to mention that it is versatile if you want to use it in some other IEM's as well. Bought a medium set of it today to use it for my UE super fi 5 pro's and JVC Marshmallows and they fit and isolate very well. Its a little rougher than the olives obviously but still very comfortable. I'd still give the nod to Olives though overall.

Jan 22, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #15 of 17
I too am looking for some tips/foamies but for my pl30.
The olives would be great but they don't fit with the ne-7/ne-8/pl30 so are the orange foamies the better choice left?
Like the op I'm not interested in the comply (too pricy and not durable), do the orange last longer?
Or are there any silicone tips that would be good with these iems? (from shure or whatever fits)
PS: sorry chinesekiwi for using your thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back