Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Nov 18, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #2,642 of 6,080
Just to clarify on the "limiter" feature. This is a peak RMS limiter to avoid excessive dB levels at the eardrum. Nobody (not even Shure when I asked them) seems to know at what SPL the limiter kicks in, but to hear the effect you’d have to be pushing the volume to unsafe levels. Somewhere we would never go - right folks!? :wink:  At those SPLs, the limiter basically lets you swap distortion for compression. Neither is a good idea, so this is another good reason to not risk your hearing.

I'm also curious as to why we don't argue much on this thread. Are we all just too polite here? :wink: I think part of it is the KSE1500 doesn't have many things (like cables, filters, amps) that you can swap around or play with. Also, it's just so good, I don't think people have had many issues or complaints with it. I'm curious about what the next generation might bring though. I'd love a DAP with a LEMO-out...

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #2,643 of 6,080
Hey Spook. I didn't see this. I guess it is true that a thread about a $3000 IEM is not one of your more active threads. If it were really active, I would wonder why so many people have so much money, right?

Truck and Paul,

My theory as to why this thread is so quiet mirrors both of your conclusions. The only major variance with the KSE whether to use the built in DAC or use the line in function and a third party DAC and that is a matter of taste and/or preference.

Paul, I also agree with your desire for more use of the LEMO connector. Both the KSE1500 and Focal Utopia utilize it and I would love for that to be more of an industry standard.

If owners of the KSE are like me, I do not care what others think of the KSE. I know I am entirely satisfied with the sound and have no appetite to convince anyone of the merits or trumpet my point of view.

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #2,644 of 6,080
Hey Spook. I didn't see this. I guess it is true that a thread about a $3000 IEM is not one of your more active threads. If it were really active, I would wonder why so many people have so much money, right?

I dont agree with you, this is Head-fi.com it is a specific forum fornaudio equipment, one of the best if not the only one where u can find active threads about expensive gadgets.

Check ak380 thread and compare to ak240 or 300. Check layla etc..

If it was a forum for music or audio in general i would expect quiet expensive tech threads.

Probably,y you are right but again that is not a sufficient condition.

Nov 19, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #2,645 of 6,080
I dont agree with you, this is Head-fi.com it is a specific forum fornaudio equipment, one of the best if not the only one where u can find active threads about expensive gadgets.

If it was a forum for music or audio in general i would expect quiet expensive tech threads.

The answer is the owners of the KSE1500 have no need or desire to justify their purchase or sing it's praises. If someone prefers another earphone, fabulous, more power to him. I too was surprised how quiet this thread is when I acquired my KSE in February but after a few months with KSE I understood.

Maybe the owners of other products you mentioned feel the need to justify their purchase and surround themselves with like minded individuals so they do not feel like fools.

Nov 19, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #2,646 of 6,080

I was speaking tongue-in-cheek but it's cool if you disagree. It's all relative to cheaper IEMs with a million or so page views. This is actually a popular thread even more so than the Layla impression thread.

I think Spook is right about the lack of posts lately being due to no ability to make changes particularly with the cables. How many posts on other threads are about cables?

Like most universals, there was some early disagreements about the sound. Some complained of a thinness and a lack of "emotion". I knew that old argument would be coming so even before I got my KSE1500 in January, I started talking about people passing judgment who don't understand getting a proper seal with the right kinds of tips. That appears to have gone away. People largely understand that you can't hear an IEM properly on just an audition.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #2,650 of 6,080
Hi all, I just purchased the KSE1500 and will receive it tomorrow.  

I have an A&K 240 SS as my source.  I'm assuming I would go analog (line) out.   Is this source considered a decent match?  I've read that the CalyxM is the best match because of its warm signature.  Will mine work without having to use EQ (which I understand would engage the Shure DAC)?

Thanks!

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #2,651 of 6,080
The thread isn't quite active comparing to other totl products in here. Haha i hope someone can read and help me.

1- i am using ak380cu, are there any recommendation? I followed Jude suggestion ( -10 input pad) and keep volume on ak380 around 140.

2- does red meters on kse1500 amp means clipping?

3- what does the option Limiter in the Audio section mean and do?

4- in ak380 manual it says if u set line out mode ak380 will playback dsd files on PCM format. Should this be avoided by not setting ak380 as a line out? I know this is silly question but it is strange...

Thanks

140 sounds a bit high to me with a -10 input pad. 130 is what I found to be correct. The AK380 manual doesn't seem to say what you said unless I am missing it. It says Optical out will output at max volume and translate DSD to PCM. I went through the PDF searching for DSD and didn't find what you said.

Nov 21, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #2,652 of 6,080
Hi all, I just purchased the KSE1500 and will receive it tomorrow.  

I have an A&K 240 SS as my source.  I'm assuming I would go analog (line) out.   Is this source considered a decent match?  I've read that the CalyxM is the best match because of its warm signature.  Will mine work without having to use EQ (which I understand would engage the Shure DAC)?

Thanks!

Best source will depend on your personal preferences. Like many in this thread I love the Mojo paired with my smartphone or computer as a source.

You will know tomorrow if the 240 SS is a good match vs the internal DAC. Please report back on that.

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #2,653 of 6,080
  140 sounds a bit high to me with a -10 input pad. 130 is what I found to be correct. The AK380 manual doesn't seem to say what you said unless I am missing it. It says Optical out will output at max volume and translate DSD to PCM. I went through the PDF searching for DSD and didn't find what you said.

140 is definitely on the high side of what I use. Here are the tips I posted many months ago:

In that post I said I'm usually at 135 to 140 on the AK380's volume control. Since then--obviously with a lot more use of the KSE1500 since then--I've found 140 is definitely on the high-side of usability with the KSE1500.

Use the KSE1500's meters to make sure you're not clipping, and you'll be fine. I think 130 on the AK380 is (as @jonstatt recommended above) going to be pretty safe. Last I looked when paired, mine was 134.

The Shure KSE1500 is still (for my tastes) the best sounding in-ear monitor I've yet heard.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #2,654 of 6,080
140 is definitely on the high side of what I use. Here are the tips I posted many months ago:

In that post I said I'm usually at 135 to 140 on the AK380's volume control. Since then--obviously with a lot more use of the KSE1500 since then--I've found 140 is definitely on the high-side of usability with the KSE1500.

Use the KSE1500's meters to make sure you're not clipping, and you'll be fine. I think 130 on the AK380 is (as @jonstatt
 recommended above) going to be pretty safe. Last I looked when paired, mine was 134.

The Shure KSE1500 is still (for my tastes) the best sounding in-ear monitor I've yet heard.

Indeed i have been having it 140 and it is bad for almost all my songs.

What about the volume on kse1500? At what volume u usually have it on.

Nov 22, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #2,655 of 6,080
Best source will depend on your personal preferences. Like many in this thread I love the Mojo paired with my smartphone or computer as a source.

You will know tomorrow if the 240 SS is a good match vs the internal DAC. Please report back on that.

In a cruel twist of fate, Amazon sent me a pair of SE215's instead.  Just my luck.  I'm leaving town tomorrow so I'm sort of screwed, but I'm trying to have a pair shipped to my destination.

Question: does the box include a mini to mini cable to go from my source unit to the SE1500?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back