Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Apr 12, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #2,026 of 6,079
I'm using some lossless on iTunes, tidal. I don't use a player because I have iTunes Match and I try to keep it simple. Just trying to figure out if getting the right cables can at least get me another quarter of the way to my computer's sound...

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #2,027 of 6,079
Hi Speed is it night and day difference in SQ between half shell and full shell? I am looking to purchase snugs myself and trying to decide the shell type.

Hi 35FLE

You don't need the full shells the overall improvement is really quite noticeable with the half shells and the weight and appearance difference speak for themselves. As I'm traveling 4 hours per day in some of the busiest terminals in the world namely NYC and between trains, buses and subways and have them on sometimes 8 or more hours of continuous use. They are perfectly comfortable with no sound leakage and provide beautiful isolation each and every day. Snugs were a great choice for me. If you do choose them I believe you will be satisfied

Sincerely
Speed.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #2,028 of 6,079
I'm using some lossless on iTunes, tidal. I don't use a player because I have iTunes Match and I try to keep it simple. Just trying to figure out if getting the right cables can at least get me another quarter of the way to my computer's sound...

If you are using an iPhone with the Mojo into the KSE one of your problems may be radio frequency interference (RFI). Rob Watts has stated on the Mojo forum and my person experience is that the Mojo is not shielded from RFI and at times the RFI is passed along to the Mojo distorting the sound.

The only full proof solutions are to either turn your iPhone to airplane mode but obviously then you cannot stream your music or drop the Mojo from your chain and stream from your iPhone directly into the KSE. From my experience the KSE is both MFI certified and shielded from RFI.

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,029 of 6,079
Hi 35FLE

You don't need the full shells the overall improvement is really quite noticeable with the half shells and the weight and appearance difference speak for themselves. As I'm traveling 4 hours per day in some of the busiest terminals in the world namely NYC and between trains, buses and subways and have them on sometimes 8 or more hours of continuous use. They are perfectly comfortable with no sound leakage and provide beautiful isolation each and every day. Snugs were a great choice for me. If you do choose them I believe you will be satisfied

Sincerely
Speed.

With the half shells you have no issues with the earphones coming loose or drop off with constant head movement?

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #2,030 of 6,079
With the half shells you have no issues with the earphones coming loose or drop off with constant head movement?[/quote

None ever! I transition sometimes 8 stories of staircases to come up from some of the trains that are far below ground level and I skip steps and I'm a speed walker too. I've never lost the seal once! I've done everything but and all out run with the snugs but I bet it wouldn't be an issue. Just make sure you get the right impressions made from the audiologist. They are perfect and unnoticeable in clear so you can maintain the real beauty of the Shure 1500 shell with all the benefits of sound isolation and weight.

Sincerely,
-Speed

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #2,031 of 6,079

With the half shells you have no issues with the earphones coming loose or drop off with constant head movement?[/quote

None ever! I transition sometimes 8 stories of staircases to come up from some of the trains that are far below ground level and I skip steps and I'm a speed walker too. I've never lost the seal once! I've done everything but and all out run with the snugs but I bet it wouldn't be an issue. Just make sure you get the right impressions made from the audiologist. They are perfect and unnoticeable in clear so you can maintain the real beauty of the Shure 1500 shell with all the benefits of sound isolation and weight.

Sincerely,
-Speed

What's the real difference between half and full shells?

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #2,033 of 6,079
Does anybody else have connection issues between the KSE and the amp/dac? My right ear goes a little quiet and I have to jiggle the cable. Anybody else? Unfortunately I'm half way around the world for at least another 16 days before I can try the amazing Sure customer service for myself.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #2,034 of 6,079
mmm.....sounds like a hardware problem. No issue with mine. Check for physical damage. I'm very, very careful with mine. For transport, my KSE goes into my Pelican 1050 before putting it into my backpack. I can't afford to send mine back to Hong Kong just to repair it. Too expensive.

Apr 12, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #2,035 of 6,079
Does anybody else have connection issues between the KSE and the amp/dac? My right ear goes a little quiet and I have to jiggle the cable. Anybody else? Unfortunately I'm half way around the world for at least another 16 days before I can try the amazing Sure customer service for myself.

Yes Sam I have/had the exact same issue with my right earphone as well. I just sent my KSEs off to Shure in Niles yesterday for service. Unfortunately, I spoke with Tim at Shure service yesterday and they will not have KSE1500s in stock until next week for replacement.

All KSE owners I would like a moment of silence for poor Spook who is without his beloved KSE until next week.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #2,036 of 6,079
I am on airplane mode, yet with the wifi on. Regardless, it's not even close to the computer's sound. When I plug my tg334's into the mojo, it sounds amazing. This is connected to my phone. It's not the mojo. It's not some subtle sound shaping. It's more that the kse's are so transparent I can hear how ****ty the phone sounds. Or the cables. I'm not sure yet...

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2,037 of 6,079
I am on airplane mode, yet with the wifi on. Regardless, it's not even close to the computer's sound. When I plug my tg334's into the mojo, it sounds amazing. This is connected to my phone. It's not the mojo. It's not some subtle sound shaping. It's more that the kse's are so transparent I can hear how ****ty the phone sounds. Or the cables. I'm not sure yet...

I cannot speak for iTunes as I use Onkyo HF Player application in lieu of iTunes on my iPod Touch out to my Mojo. So your problem maybe the stock player on iOS devices.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2,038 of 6,079
Yes Sam I have/had the exact same issue with my right earphone as well. I just sent my KSEs off to Shure in Niles yesterday for service. Unfortunately, I spoke with Tim at Shure service yesterday and they will not have KSE1500s in stock until next week for replacement.

All KSE owners I would like a moment of silence for poor Spook who is without his beloved KSE until next week.

Now I am afraid.
I don t want to be the next one.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #2,039 of 6,079
Hmm. Could be, although I used tidal as well which sounded worse. I was just surprised since it seemed like Jude loved the iPhone/mojo/kse/tidal combo and to me it isn't there. I've got my tips dialed, using spinfits now after doing surgery on the olive foamies. I was hoping someone would say "oh yeah that camera connector kit thing is your problem" or something simple but it seems like most people are using it and liking the sound...

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2,040 of 6,079
Now I am afraid.
I don t want to be the next one.

No reason to be afraid. The same thing happened with my first batch SE846 I bought in August of 2013. Shure's peerless service replaced it promptly. Shure's well deserved reputation for customer service is one of the reasons I bought the KSE1500. I knew that the KSE was cutting edge technology but if something went wrong Shure would stand behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back