Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Feb 7, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,591 of 6,085
Anyone try Sensaphonics custom with the KSE? I could not get a good fit and the sound was always a bit too sibilant for me. I have since returned them but am now thinking about custom Layla or KSE with Sensaphonics. I have original JH13 pro before freqphase and think the bass is more than the KSE which I like. Now I am just confused.

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #1,592 of 6,085
Anyone try Sensaphonics custom with the KSE? I could not get a good fit and the sound was always a bit too sibilant for me. I have since returned them but am now thinking about custom Layla or KSE with Sensaphonics. I have original JH13 pro before freqphase and think the bass is more than the KSE which I like. Now I am just confused.

Mine should be done in a week or so.

Though the fit wasn't perfect, I really liked my 846 custom shells on the KSE1500. Super seal, very comfortable.

Haven't had an issue with sibilance. Wonder if EQ on the treble would help with that...

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,593 of 6,085
But with the bass, are we talking decay (capturing the detail as a recorded note hangs in the air) or overhang (the recovery or speed of the drivers causing the note to hang in the air longer than it does on the recording itself)?

​It really ought to be about capturing the detail.  Failure to decay quickly enough, when the detail of the hanging note is not on the recording, is what makes it hard for some iems to give a good quality of piano sound.  I agree with whoever said this was one of the key tests. 

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,594 of 6,085

If you want slightly bassier and less sibilant, actually just use the comply P tips. It really takes the treble a little and seals up very well giving a nice bass. By default I feel the kse1500 can get quite bright for some. My friend dropped the treble via eq when using it

Feb 7, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #1,595 of 6,085
Great deal on a demo KSE1500 with full warranty:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-396791-shure-kse1500-electrostatic-earphone-system-demo.aspx

Still too rich for my blood, but somebody on the fence should go for it!

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #1,596 of 6,085
  Great deal on a demo KSE1500 with full warranty:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-396791-shure-kse1500-electrostatic-earphone-system-demo.aspx

Still too rich for my blood, but somebody on the fence should go for it!

^ Damn what a steal. Wish i had waited a bit lol.

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,597 of 6,085
Japan sells them around 2.8k usd if you can get tax free

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #1,599 of 6,085
If they make a v2, they would probably have to make detachable cables at a reasonable cost. But to prevent any arcing, they'd have to ditch the lousy MMCX design and go with a multi pin screw in design or something, like JH audio has.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #1,600 of 6,085
If they make a v2, they would probably have to make detachable cables at a reasonable cost. But to prevent any arcing, they'd have to ditch the lousy MMCX design and go with a multi pin screw in design or something, like JH audio has.

Will be nice if they sell it with jh style cable lock. But that will it quite some bit more chunky. They definitely can't use mmcx or 2 pin design will can anytime disconnect itself with enough strength.

Most importantly , hope they do it like stax and sell seperately so we first adopters can just get the earphones haha

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #1,601 of 6,085
I’ve been an avid reader of head-fi for some time now.  I currently own the SE535, SE846, AKG 702, Sennheiser HD600, 650, 800s, and LCD2s.  After purchasing the KSE1500’s a couple weeks ago, I’ve felt compelled to share my experience.  I’ve been listening to Apple Lossless and Tidal tracks off my iPhone with the built in DAC and amp of the KSE system.       From the first track I listened to, which was Brahms Clarinet Quintet in B minor performed by Artist Jon Manasse And Tokyo String Quartet I’ve been astounded by these headphones.  Suffice it to say I had a very difficult time putting them down.  Well recorded material simply sounds incredible through these.  The progressive blue grass band, the Punch Brothers album, Punch blew my mind!  I actually gasped when the first notes rang out.  I’ve simply found the clarity, transparency, imaging, and rich and detailed low end to be addictive.  Not to mention, i’ve found it easier to get a good fit with these than with my SE846s.       As amazing as I find these IEMs, I’ve been struck by one thing that I haven’t seen mentioned too often here.  I’m curious if anyone else owning the KSE1500s possibly share this experience.  I am finding that certain instruments end up sounding a little thin to my ears.  In particular, the piano and trumpet.  For example, on Bill Evans’ Waltz for Debbie, I’m having a harder time hearing the piano.  It feels as if the drums are so much more present, that the piano tends to get pushed back a bit.  In general, the piano on many recordings seems thinner and less present.  It’s a weird phenomenon, and I’ve never experienced this before.  furthermore, I’ve noticed that Miles Davis’s trumpet sound on Kind of Blue suffers from this as well.  It feels like much of the body of Miles’s trumpet sound has been thinned out.  I’m experiencing this on many more tracks than just these, but thought I’d share these as two specific examples where this effect really stood out to me.       Despite this experience, I still absolutely love listening to these.  They are definitely honest and revealing, so I appreciate that the quality of the recording will make a big difference.  Anyways, apologies for the rambling on.  Just figured I’d share my two cents and perhaps get some feedback regarding this thinness I'm noticing.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,602 of 6,085
My opinion is that that dac matters a lot. In this case the built in dac is good but not the greatest base on experimentation. Try connecting it via analog through another dac and it may change. That said the instruments you talk about is mainly in the mids region which I felt does not have the mass as compared to many iems. Just boosting it in eq for frequency of 1.25k at maybe 2-3db may help out and since you are already using both the inbuilt dac there is no quality degradation.

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #1,603 of 6,085
Thanks for that, will definitely try the eq boost at 1.25 and see how that goes.  I'm currently looking at the Mojo for an alternative DAC source, but I'm a little wary of the added connections and cables with the CCK etc...  I've also been curious about the ZX2 as a DAP.  I see you have the ZX2.  How have you found the ZX2 sounds through the KSE1500 going through the line-in?

Feb 8, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #1,604 of 6,085
  I’ve been an avid reader of head-fi for some time now.  I currently own the SE535, SE846, AKG 702, Sennheiser HD600, 650, 800s, and LCD2s.  After purchasing the KSE1500’s a couple weeks ago, I’ve felt compelled to share my experience.  I’ve been listening to Apple Lossless and Tidal tracks off my iPhone with the built in DAC and amp of the KSE system.       From the first track I listened to, which was Brahms Clarinet Quintet in B minor performed by Artist Jon Manasse And Tokyo String Quartet I’ve been astounded by these headphones.  Suffice it to say I had a very difficult time putting them down.  Well recorded material simply sounds incredible through these.  The progressive blue grass band, the Punch Brothers album, Punch blew my mind!  I actually gasped when the first notes rang out.  I’ve simply found the clarity, transparency, imaging, and rich and detailed low end to be addictive.  Not to mention, i’ve found it easier to get a good fit with these than with my SE846s.       As amazing as I find these IEMs, I’ve been struck by one thing that I haven’t seen mentioned too often here.  I’m curious if anyone else owning the KSE1500s possibly share this experience.  I am finding that certain instruments end up sounding a little thin to my ears.  In particular, the piano and trumpet.  For example, on Bill Evans’ Waltz for Debbie, I’m having a harder time hearing the piano.  It feels as if the drums are so much more present, that the piano tends to get pushed back a bit.  In general, the piano on many recordings seems thinner and less present.  It’s a weird phenomenon, and I’ve never experienced this before.  furthermore, I’ve noticed that Miles Davis’s trumpet sound on Kind of Blue suffers from this as well.  It feels like much of the body of Miles’s trumpet sound has been thinned out.  I’m experiencing this on many more tracks than just these, but thought I’d share these as two specific examples where this effect really stood out to me.       Despite this experience, I still absolutely love listening to these.  They are definitely honest and revealing, so I appreciate that the quality of the recording will make a big difference.  Anyways, apologies for the rambling on.  Just figured I’d share my two cents and perhaps get some feedback regarding this thinness I'm noticing.

Nice post. My take is that electrostatics are so fast and free of overhang that some things tend to get pushed back in the mix. Every earphone is a new experience with your music. I think these things give a very interesting perspective. Equally remarkable are new things that come forward in the mix. In the opening quiet part of Wish You Were Here, I swear I'm hearing  previously buried details of the guitarist waiting to start playing the acoustic solo.  When his guitar comes in you hear the finger sliding up the 3rd string as three very distinct notes in triplet. With other cans it could just be a bend. I'm mostly listening through the USB, although the pad helps the analogue input a lot.
On Bass. These things rock. Very punchy and detailed. If the recording is a bit shy you have the EQ, which works quite well. Very satisfying full rich bass to these ears. 

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #1,605 of 6,085
Thanks for that, will definitely try the eq boost at 1.25 and see how that goes.  I'm currently looking at the Mojo for an alternative DAC source, but I'm a little wary of the added connections and cables with the CCK etc...  I've also been curious about the ZX2 as a DAP.  I see you have the ZX2.  How have you found the ZX2 sounds through the KSE1500 going through the line-in?

Best I've heard the KSE1500 sound good is with the Mojo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back