Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Sep 23, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #5,191 of 6,085
Excellent review that mirrors my experience with the KSE1200. The detail was stunning but the bass performance, fit/ergonomics, and the amplifier unit (e.g constant gain adjustments and the nightmare of maintaining battery life across three portable devices on the go) ultimately were the reasons I sold it.

I didn't understand the gain/clipping complaint. I never had a problem with this on my 1200. Just find a "peaky" track most likely to trigger the red and that's your limit, set the source to that volume and done.

Sep 23, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #5,192 of 6,085
I didn't understand the gain/clipping complaint. I never had a problem with this on my 1200. Just find a "peaky" track most likely to trigger the red and that's your limit, set the source to that volume and done.

If you stage the gain for a peaky track, when you go back to the quieter track, and compensate with the KSE volume, you will be amplifying noise. To avoid this, ideally, you should re-stage the gain for the quieter track.

Sep 23, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #5,193 of 6,085
If you stage the gain for a peaky track, when you go back to the quieter track, and compensate with the KSE volume, you will be amplifying noise. To avoid this, ideally, you should re-stage the gain for the quieter track.

The whole point is to avoid clipping/distortion, or maybe this is a different discussion? That's why Shure has the clipping indicator (red). You find out what the limit of each of your sources are and just leave it and only use the volume knob of KSE.

Sep 23, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #5,194 of 6,085

Awesome video, I enjoy your easy going approach and humor!

If I can make a recommendation, try these settings, and I encourage anyone here to do so!
0A839447-D04F-41B3-A443-53C186859B7B.jpeg
if you want a bit more bass heft, you can shelf it up to 160hz and still have a great tonal balance, just a bit weightier.
904C1256-B201-48C5-957C-77D5BD80FAE1.jpeg067F0633-CA05-4151-9C36-2179573E4EAD.jpegA5328849-05AE-4B20-8C06-B563DEDB4A80.jpeg
After getting the IER-Z1R, I indeed realized just how lacking the sub bass is on KSE, and realistically it will never match; but after considering selling this incredible iem, I got this eq set up after hours of back and forth and consider it game changer. KSE is THE best iem again, and I’ve heard nearly all the note worthy (except that Odin...!)

I listen to this setting for “fun” 70% of the time, otherwise bypass the rest of the time for really fantastic recordings. Personally, I hate the “loudness” eq and think it’s one of the worst because of the etched and harsh treble presentation, but maybe my source isn’t as smooth as your AK..!

Lastly, always try to maximize gain from your source, and adjust your Input Gain Pad on the Shure amp so that it never spills into yellow even. I’m at -10db with volume hovering anywhere from 19-24 on the Shure amp, and it’s dynamite.

It’s honestly more effortless and natural than my Susvara, D8000 Pro, or arguably SR-009 in my opinion, all in a compact form. It’s astounding :)

Dan

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 23, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #5,199 of 6,085
The whole point is to avoid clipping/distortion, or maybe this is a different discussion? That's why Shure has the clipping indicator (red). You find out what the limit of each of your sources are and just leave it and only use the volume knob of KSE.

The point of gain staging is the optimize the signal for best playback. This includes under gain, too. An amplified low signal will amplify noise. An amplified high signal will amplify distortion. You're looking for that sweet spot just under where anything clips.

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #5,200 of 6,085
is the KSE 1200 with Shure play app (that mimics the EQ functions on the KSE1500 amp) not the same?
It’s not the same or ideal since it’s DSP in the software domain and the current version of the app is intended for Shure’s wireless audio products.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #5,203 of 6,085
So I bought a Fiio M6 to pair with my KSE1200 earphone system and will compare it to the Fiio BTR3K I am using now. I bought the M6 as it appears to fit the dimensions of the KSA1200 energizer perfectly. How do you guys suggest I attach the M6 to the KSA1200? It looks like its back is glass, which precludes any sort of glued-on Velcro.

Edit: I ended up cancelling my order of the M6 after reading more reviews. I think I will stick with the BTR3K.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #5,204 of 6,085
Included KSE1500 and Z1R mentions on my impressions of UM MEST. It’s a solid iem, and a great option for analytic listeners.

If curious, have a look Here

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 28, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #5,205 of 6,085
So I bought a Fiio M6 to pair with my KSE1200 earphone system and will compare it to the Fiio BTR3K I am using now. I bought the M6 as it appears to fit the dimensions of the KSA1200 energizer perfectly. How do you guys suggest I attach the M6 to the KSA1200? It looks like its back is glass, which precludes any sort of glued-on Velcro.

Edit: I ended up cancelling my order of the M6 after reading more reviews. I think I will stick with the BTR3K.

Not trying to tell you what to do, just my 2 cents. I've run the KSE with my BTR3 and M6, and even with the M6 the SQ is lacking. The KSE are so resolving that they will really show the quality (or lack thereof) of a DAC. DAC's these days are generally good, but with the KSE, the different between an average DAC and great one is noticeable. I personally don't see having a KSE and driving it with a mediocre DAC. It defeats the purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back