Shure EC3
Jun 27, 2014 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bpeng

Member of the Trade: Brilliant Zen Audio
I'm helping a friend sell a Shure EC3 and I wanted to do a little research on this. It appears it is no longer being made. Anyone know the price when new? Regarding the performance/quality of the EC3, is this still considered a high-quality IEM or has it been far surpassed by now?

Mike

Jun 28, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 6
back in the day it was a quality IEM and priced high, however with the advent of things coming out of china has meant for the money its been exceeded significantly.

its not to say the EC3 is bad but it can be bested by some relativly cheap things out there.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 6
OK, so the question is a couple months old...but here goes.  I have a set in my drawer.  I just took them out to try in my iphone as well as my tower with the beats audio sound card.  I used to use them in a sound booth for recording as well as live events.  Emphasis on the live sound as they isolate so well.  They were what I considered crystal clear.  Not much bass, but to mix properly you don't want a lot of bass chewing through everything else you are mixing and trying to hear.  Mixing in the bass through the front of house system to support the even is more accurate anyway.

That said, I believe I paid somewhere around $180 for them long long long ago.  

By today's standards, they are pretty weak.  I prefer my Apple Earpods over them...which isn't saying much really...

Do clean them regularly...you will find the rubber bits slide off the speaker shaft easily, and will occasionally stay put in your ear...tweezers come in handy for events such as these.

I believe my right channel is having issues otherwise I'd be happy to send them to whoever wants them.

Sam

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 6
Cheers, Sam,

Just stumbled upon your post about your EC3. Yes, they were well-rated phones a decade or so back, as you say, for $180 they should have been. I have a set with a dead driver; if you've still got yours I'd love to latch onto yours to attempt to make one good set out of our 2 not-so-good. Could I give you a few bucks + shipping if you're willing to part with yours?

Thanks,
vinny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back