Shure E5's...
Apr 30, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #16 of 27
there you have it. neither tyson nor i are stupid.

tyson - i think you just answered all further questions we might have in reference to why some of us don't see the shure and ety triflanges to be the same size.

May 1, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Funny thing - I have 2 pair of Shure tri-flanges, my old used ones, and another pair I just bought. The "original" tri-flange is in fact bigger than the "new" tri-flange. In fact the "new" Shure tri-flange looks identical to the Ety tri-flange except for the stalk lenghth. Weird.

I just received a new pair or tri-flanges today, along with a new pair of E3c's. Funny, the lady at Shure didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for her to throw in a pair of triple flange inserts with the order. She had no clue. And she had been there for a while, she said.

Anyways, I'm visually comparing the new tri-flanges with the old ones I bought about a year ago. They look to me to be exactly the same size, except in the stem length. I think the extra long stem length in the new tri-flanges is a fix. In my old tri-flanges, they kept getting stuck in my ear after a few months of use, i.e. they wouldn't come out with the ear piece. So I guess the extra stem length is designed to help prevent this problem by increasing the stem area grip.

Incidentally, I got these E3c's for $55. My E1c's had a problem, one of the earpieces were only at half volume, so I sent them in to Shure. After receiving them, they offered me the upgrade to E3c's for $55. I said "okay.

etysmile.gif
< ----- happy camper

May 1, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Funny thing - I have 2 pair of Shure tri-flanges, my old used ones, and another pair I just bought. The "original" tri-flange is in fact bigger than the "new" tri-flange. In fact the "new" Shure tri-flange looks identical to the Ety tri-flange except for the stalk lenghth. Weird.

Glad you found that. I really wasn't calling you a liar and the two flanges' diameters do look identical to me but then again it could have been that whole bottle of cough syrup I drank
blink.gif

Quote:

toaster22 there you have it. neither tyson nor i are stupid.

I'm not certain that this is sufficient proof [j/k]
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #19 of 27
One other difference I just noticed between the old and new tri-flanges: the inside diameter of the tube is significantly smaller. Again, I think this is a fix to keep them better adhered to the earpiece. Also, the 3 pairs of grey inserts included with the E3c have the same small inside diameter, but the 3 pairs of clear inserts have the old large diameter.

May 1, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #20 of 27
Right. To draw back from the conversation on the merits of the tri-flanges, which incidentally are still lying in an unopened plastic bag in my case.

I was wondering if I could get a few tips as to the upkeep of my headphones.
The Shure booklet tells me I should wipe down the cable, case (are they talking about the actual phones?), and any sleeves I am using with antiseptic after every use. The Shure website says I should do the antiseptic bit frequently if not so meticulously. So would I just go out and get the medical antiseptic wipes and use them on my headphones? Or is there some special wipe for electronics and the like. Will medical antiseptics additoinally be too strong for my delicate audio equipment?

Also, are there any other E5 tips the elders of this forum can impart onto me? Well, I know I should really get a better porable audio player to power them, but am getting on that as my birthday is only four days away!

As always, thanks a lot.

May 1, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #21 of 27
AnalyticChick

Quote:

Also, are there any other E5 tips the elders of this forum can impart onto me? Well, I know I should really get a better porable audio player to power them, but am getting on that as my birthday is only four days away!

I am certainly no elder (first post!) but I have come here for tips on using the E5s and the Ety ER4Ps which I am currently comparing.

The best and most comfortable fit I have for the E5s is to use the ER4s black foamies. This is giving excellent isolation. There is no way I can easily get the triple flanges in my ear and when I do the sound is hideously distorted.

May 1, 2004 at 10:14 AM Post #22 of 27
flanges.jpg

flanges2.jpg

in both pictures: shure is on the left, etymotic is on the right. it doesn't take much brainpower to see how badly shure ripped off etymotic research.

May 1, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by stark23x
I now have 4 pair of tri-flange. One came with, three I ordered. I 'sperimented with different tweaks, and ended up wrecking one pair, but I have two that are for walking around, and one for sleeping. the sleeping ones are trimmed off short for less penetration in the ear canal.

Oh how I love my E5s...

You might like to try the flexible short grey tips for sleeping as well. They stick out far less than the tri-flange tips and can tolerate having your head sideways on a pillow fairly well. They are generally not quite as well thought of, in terms of sound quality, as the tri-flanges but they are easier to get a good seal.

May 1, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #24 of 27
Speaking 'bout tweaks - which are your feelings towards that steel wire which is supposed to help making the Shure stay in the ear or something? I myself could not stand that wire, I cut it and now I am happy. So did a couple of other head-fiers. What about you?

May 1, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Speaking 'bout tweaks - which are your feelings towards that steel wire which is supposed to help making the Shure stay in the ear or something? I myself could not stand that wire, I cut it and now I am happy. So did a couple of other head-fiers. What about you?

There was a Head-Fi poll on this recently and there seemed to be a fairly even split on people who removed the steel wire and those who kept it. Personally i removed it and am glad i did.

May 2, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #26 of 27
So as I was poking around Headroom, I read their piece about how a portable audio device was not complete without an amp. I was getting really into researching various amps (the first step, of course, was trying to figure out exactly what an amp was and did) until I realized that the DAP I'm getting doesn't actually have a line out.

Also, I repeat my request for any tips for the upkeep of my Shures, especially regarding antiseptic wipes and cables and cases. In general, any advice or tips on the subject would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

May 2, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalyticChick
Also, I repeat my request for any tips for the upkeep of my Shures, especially regarding antiseptic wipes and cables and cases. In general, any advice or tips on the subject would be much appreciated.

You don't need to go crazy with antiseptic wipes or sanitization. Just keep them clean and dry and they will serve you well for quite a while. Only occasionally do I clean them thoroughly with damp washcloth and very little anti-bacterial soap or a wipe and I always clean them if I use them when active and they get sweaty. Otherwise, just wipe them down with a damp cloth to keep them clean from normal usage and body oils (ie, where they loop aroung your ear and the earpiece itself).

You can also clean your silicone tips in alcohol or peroxide once in a while too - just toss the foamies when they get grungy though.

edit: I just realized that the last time I cleaned my earphones I used a baby wipe (I have a small child). The baby wipes are very gentle and leave them smelling baby-fresh too
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back