Shure E5's...
Apr 30, 2004 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

AnalyticChick

New Head-Fier
Are AMAZING.

I actually got these a few days ago and didn't have much time to play around with them. From initial run throughts, I have to say I wasn't that impressed. I mean, yes, now I could have my volume at 1% or so but that wasn't what I was looking for in a pair of headphones. Where was the magic? Where was the fairy dust and the part where the music swept me off my feet? I was seriously starting to question the wisdom of plunking down $365 for a pair of headphones.

So this evening I actually sat down with them and fiddled. For one thing, taking time to ensure a good seal (I'm still on the foamies), is generally pretty important. Although it took me some ten minutes to get my right ear in, I appreciated the sheer isolation that it provided. After a few cursory songs, I decided to go for one of my most favorite songs of all time. And found the magic.

I had heard this track so many times I thought I was aquainted with all the nuances. But these headphones, even on my DEJ1000 (I know, upgrading to a Creative Nomad Zen Xtra for my birthday), bring out the details of the music. But even less concretely, these headphones allowed me to sink into a world of the music. Sitting back amid the sounds swirling and blossoming around me was a truly amazing experience.

Of course, I don't think I am technical enough to speak analytically about these headphones. But I know that they brought me close to musical nirvana tonight and for that I love them.
etysmile.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 27
sweet. another satsified e5 customer. you better have those tri-flanges on order...do ya?

they only get better...

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 27
i know i know. you told me like a hundred times. heh. you can never be to sure though, some people just don't know. and some people still ain't gettin them...old stock OR getting them used.

better to have bass than be sorry. err, yeah.

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 27
I now have 4 pair of tri-flange. One came with, three I ordered. I 'sperimented with different tweaks, and ended up wrecking one pair, but I have two that are for walking around, and one for sleeping. the sleeping ones are trimmed off short for less penetration in the ear canal.

Oh how I love my E5s...

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by stark23x
Oh how I love my E5s...

hmm, i was expecting a ballad of some sort to folllow. perhaps a haiku...

Apr 30, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 27
I bought my e5c in late Feb. this year, but it doesn't come with tri. flange. But I do have tried the tri-flange that comes with my er4p, but it doesn't fit my ear well, all bass is lost. Then I ordered ultra-soft flex sleeve last week which arrives this week. Pretty good, as it fits well and sound better than the original flex sleeve.

I wonder if anybody can tell me if the size(the outter diameter) of the tri-flange is about the same with the one that comes with er4p? If the answer is yes, then I can simply forget about considering the tri-flange.

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 27
they are the same size.

the shure triflange fit on the shures is much different than the ety triflange fit on the etys. you should really try the shure triflange. that's where the best sound is by far.

Apr 30, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #11 of 27
Actually they are NOT the same size, I have both in my hand right now, and the sure tri-flange is wider in all 3 of the flanges.

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 27
hmm, ya know tyson. that's what i thought too at first, but then someone said it was just the stalk length that was different.

i checked them again and the flanges really did look the same, it was the stalk that was not.

we need a couple more results here on the difference (if there is any) between the ety triflange and the shure triflange size.

flange size difference (yes) - 1

no flange size difference (no) - 1

i threw out the ety tips after sending the etys home to cmascatello yesterday, so i cannot check this again.

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Actually they are NOT the same size, I have both in my hand right now, and the sure tri-flange is wider in all 3 of the flanges.

Thanks, tyson, i haven't seen that comparison posted before and i had been wondering...

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #14 of 27
Looks the same to me. I have both in my hands right now too and I am hard pressed to see any difference in the diameter of the flanges. Stalk length difference is obvious (shure stalk is longer).

One point worth stating is that I am comparing Shure tri-flange that I have been using and brand new unused Ety tri-flanges. It does not appear that there is any lasting deformation of the tri-flanges after usage though.

Anybody have a pair of calipers handy?
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 27
Funny thing - I have 2 pair of Shure tri-flanges, my old used ones, and another pair I just bought. The "original" tri-flange is in fact bigger than the "new" tri-flange. In fact the "new" Shure tri-flange looks identical to the Ety tri-flange except for the stalk lenghth. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back