Shure E5C...worth the $500?
Feb 20, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #46 of 57
Make sure you get AD797s or AD8610/20s with the XP-7. It will pair nicely with the Shures and your musical tastes. I like the midrange punch of the 797s with my rock collection (Alice In Chains, Black Label Society, DOWN, Pearl Jam bootlegs, etc.). The e5 wins out over the Etys for almost all of my rock tracks (save for a few acoustic and mellow live albums).

Feb 20, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #47 of 57
i know many people don't like to do this, but if you can slap on a little EQ with the ety's to help with the lower bass impact, they will certainly show you that they can do bass extremely well. if i use my ety's with my vintage Sony pcdp with bass boost (back when bass boosts were of higher quality), there is as much deep bass as i hear on my HD650 with Zu cable. it is hard to believe that the ety's can throw out this kind of bass, but they can. here is why i think they can handle any amount of bass. the reason why the ety's are super fast headphones lies in thier drivers physical size. btw, i don't mean to over hype this...but one really has to hear it to believe it. bass boosts or slight EQing makes some headphones sound wierd or not right, but in the ety situation, a more visceral experience can be added, and does not degrade the sound whatsoever...i've extensively compared the two ways: un-EQ'ed sound and EQ'ed sound and i can honestly say that no sound quality is sacraficed. the neat things about phones such as the ety's and Shures is that the drivers are so small that they don't need to move as much air as larger drivers do. so therefore, you get extremely accurate sound with tremendous speed with little or no distortion, which results in a very analitical, accurate sound. it just so happens that if you thow any amount of bass boosts or any other tonal increases at them, they will have no problem handling them. and this is why i report some bass notes going as deep as if not deeper than my HD650's. and i'm not talking about just hearing it...i mean deep and powerful enough to feel your ear drums actually vibrating, which really tickles. if you've ever heard a real deep bass note from some full sized cans like the DT770's, the HD650, or the CD3000's, then that is what the ety's approach when fed the correct amount of bass in order to make up for it's natural lacking in that area of the spectrum. i guess when it comes down to it, i don't see any problem with throwing certain corrections at a headphone which lacks that certain aspect you are throwing at it. i recently had a chance to hear the E5 at a guitar store near by and i will say they do bass much better simply because it sounds like that end of the spectrum is turned up in volume. but what you guys say if you could have that E5 type of bass along with the ety's detailed accuracy and smoothness? imo, for me, it works perfectly
etysmile.gif

PS>>>the amount of bass the ety's have also obviously depends on what type of source and amp a person is using. the ety's will naturally have more/better quakity bass with a stand alone cd player and home headamp vs with a portable setup. so for those of you considering the ety's not only for on the road applications, but also for in home use, should not disregard the ety's for their lack of bass with the more portable setups.

Feb 20, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #48 of 57
I am very curious to hear the Ety's, I'm sure (no pun intended
rolleyes.gif
) they're wonderful phones. However, the same can be said about the Shure E5's that I use with my Sony MZ N10 MD player. Using the EQ, I get fantastic base and treble . I mean, I listen to a lot of opera, and I can hear it in all it's glory unamped. From tremendous orchestral bass, to the plucking of strings, and all the voices, I hear it all in a tiny package--with well over 40 hours of playtime.

The Shure's in this scenario, (travel, excercise portable) make them worth EVERY penny. The sound is glorious.

al

Feb 20, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
there is as much deep bass as i hear on my HD650 with Zu cable

Even if you can get the ety to have deep bass, do you really think it compares to the hd650/zu. The hd650/zu not only has deep controlled bass, but you can feel the impact of the bass. These headphones put me into the music. I have tried my etys with the bass boost on the PPA and even though it gives them much more bass, they still don't compare to the hd650/zu. I never feel like I am really there listening to the jazz music or the drums on a rock song sound the way they would live. The hd650/zu come very close to this.

Feb 20, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #50 of 57
I'm still trying to get a pair of the E5's in Australia, and its no easy task the only place that stocks them is asking well over AUD1000!!!!!

Would anyone in america be interested in being a contact for me?

Feb 20, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by silencer
I'm still trying to get a pair of the E5's in Australia, and its no easy task the only place that stocks them is asking well over AUD1000!!!!! Would anyone in america be interested in being a contact for me?

Have you tried Todd (one of the sponsors) at http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com? I know he ships internationally.

Feb 20, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #52 of 57
Just had a look his price is $450 which will work out at about 585 australian, but then i'll have to add postage and import tax on them.

Feb 20, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #53 of 57
@zeplin: EQ would deliver the E5 bass from the Etys.

There are certain problems to this. No portable I own is capable of this in any convincing manner: The only set-up which truly comes somewhere towards replicating the E5 performance from the mid down on the Ety while retaining the fundamental Ety characterics in the upper register is the Behringer DEQ2496 hooked up to my tubed integrated. In this configuration the Etys are absolutely superior to the 'flat' E5.

But as much as I like the Etys, I'm not convinced that the 20kg-ish weight of the two units and perhaps a 10-mile stretch of AC cable (for commuting purposes) is that portable.

There is also obviously a flipside to this argument... The E5 can be EQ'd up in the trebles and down in the mids. This I can do on almost all of my portables. And in a portable situation, you would be quite hard pressed to hear the upper-end difference between the Etys at flat and the E5 EQ'd this way (although listen at home with such an EQ'd portable and it's clear that the E5 is stumbling a little).

EQing works both ways. It is more or less possible to make the ER-4P impersonate the E5... and vice versa.

Feb 22, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #55 of 57
Not necessarily. I was using them out of the iPod yesterday and I was perfectly happy with the sound the way they were. I do not feel the need to tweak the E5 to sound like Etys. My iPod doesn't get out that often these days but I was refreshing my memory of unamped 4P and E5 out of the iPod in portable situations for a fellow Head-Fi member.

It's not perfect though... The E5 amplifies the buzzing of the iPod's circuits and although you get used to it after a while the hissing is pretty noticeable. It's a problem with the sheer efficiency of these phones. Try the attenuator they (E5c only) ship with and see how you get on if you experience the same problems as me.

Feb 22, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by silencer
I'm still trying to get a pair of the E5's in Australia, and its no easy task the only place that stocks them is asking well over AUD1000!!!!!

Would anyone in america be interested in being a contact for me?

I also want to get a pair of the e5c earphones in Australia - I tried Music Junction Blackburn, but they quoted me AUD$1295 - way out of my price range...

I was seriously looking at iDealSound when they had the Shure e5c in stock - i dunno what's going on though, they haven't had any for a coupla months. Just my luck just when i was seriously considering ordering them! He told me shipping costs would be US$10... based on the price he was selling them for when I asked him and the current exchange rate it works out at about AUD$556 including freight, duty and GST!!!

Now if only he had some in stock.....

Feb 28, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by IZCool
I also want to get a pair of the e5c earphones in Australia - I tried Music Junction Blackburn, but they quoted me AUD$1295 - way out of my price range...

I was seriously looking at iDealSound when they had the Shure e5c in stock - i dunno what's going on though, they haven't had any for a coupla months. Just my luck just when i was seriously considering ordering them! He told me shipping costs would be US$10... based on the price he was selling them for when I asked him and the current exchange rate it works out at about AUD$556 including freight, duty and GST!!!

Now if only he had some in stock.....

I e-mailed Paul @ iDealSound and he said that they were expecting a shipment of E5s next week (first week of March). I plan on getting a pair myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back