Shure E5C...worth the $500?
Feb 19, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #31 of 57
LOL!

That just put a very scary image in my head
eek.gif

Feb 19, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #33 of 57
I know this has been gone over before, but can anyone confirm that there is no souns difference between the e5c and the e5? Why the $100 price difference? Thanks.

Feb 19, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #34 of 57
No sound difference whatsoever, E5c comes in nicer packaging, and MSRP is $500. If you buy it from Shure's website, they only offer it for MSRP (just like how ER-4P is still $330 from Ety's website).

You may also be able to find eBay retailers selling the E5c (not the E5) packaging for below $400 as well..

Feb 19, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #35 of 57
There is absolutely no difference between the e5 and e5c. The c is the consumer model and has nicer packaging and USED to come with the fit kit of sleeves. Both models come with the fit kit now. The only item I am not sure comes with the e5 is the volume attenuator for use with loud sources (airplanes, etc). The box of the e5c is made of metal and is overkill once you get the goodies out. The actual canalphones are identical between the e5 and e5c packaging.

Feb 19, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by cmascatello
There is absolutely no difference between the e5 and e5c. The c is the consumer model and has nicer packaging and USED to come with the fit kit of sleeves. Both models come with the fit kit now. The only item I am not sure comes with the e5 is the volume attenuator for use with loud sources (airplanes, etc). The box of the e5c is made of metal and is overkill once you get the goodies out. The actual canalphones are identical between the e5 and e5c packaging.

Although the E5 doesn't come with the zipper case. Instead, you get a velcro pouch. The velcro pouch just doesn't offer enough protection for me, so I broke down and ordered the E5c zipper case.

Feb 19, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #38 of 57
Do you want musicality or details? E5 will make everything sound natural and organic, it's just about the most "fun" you can possibly have on the road.

Ety will sound very detailed and refined, but lacking the fun... if you like to nit pick at the music and pick all the details apart, then Ety is the one for you.

Feb 19, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #39 of 57
Would it matter in the music/bands I listen to in your opinion? I don't listen to very much classical, just one album I own, that being "The Planets." But other than that, Pink Floyd, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Bad Religion, and Alice In Chains are the bands that I listen to most often.
600smile.gif

Feb 20, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #41 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by =w=
Would it matter in the music/bands I listen to in your opinion? I don't listen to very much classical, just one album I own, that being "The Planets." But other than that, Pink Floyd, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Bad Religion, and Alice In Chains are the bands that I listen to most often.
600smile.gif

Actually, your musical preferences do make a difference. However, the ones you listen to would truly be great on both the Etys and the Shures.... If you've noticed (looking through other threads especially) -- there seem to be Ety ears and Shure ears. Most people do have a preference. (There are a few of us spoiled brats who like one phone over another for various music and like both.) So, more importantly, what do you want these phones for? Do you want to listen critically, to hear all the details? Or are you more interested in the musicality over the individual bits?

We can guide you from that, but I'd also recommend then paying more and getting the phones from somewhere that you can return/exchange them if you really find they're not your cup of tea.... I can understand someone not liking one or another, but liking either is unheard of. They're both truly remarkable!

Feb 20, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #42 of 57
I'm a detail freak, so $500 is way too much to spend for phones that don't have it in spades. Especially considering that Ety 4S's are alot cheaper. (not to mention K1000's can be had for $500 too) But sometimes the Ety's can feel rather lifeless.

-Ed

Feb 20, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #43 of 57
They are both quite remarkable indeed. I'm typing up some things and am listening to this:

iMP-550 -> optical cable -> MZ-N10 -> 3.5mm to RCA converter -> Nordost Red Dawn IC -> XP-7 -> ER-4P/4S/E5. (I suppose this is my wheelbarrow rig
biggrin.gif
)
[size=xx-small]I ought to stress that the N10 is in the chain as an experiment. I'm not prepared to say at this point if using the N10 as a DAC brings any benefits. [/size]

Album being listened to is Goldfrapp's Black Cherry, a synth bloop festival.

I think we can get the 4S out of the way. Pathetic. The XP-7 makes it very hard if not impossible to choose between the 4P and the E5 though. Within their general limits both phones do an excellent job with this album.
What are their general limits? The Etys don't excel at low-end impact and the bass is accurate but not very elastic. It has an over-resolved quality that can get annoying and actually make detail harder to hear in my experience. The E5's don't quite go high enough and although the low end impact is enormous, it's slower than the Ety which can occlude what's going on down below sometimes.

I would really like to say "I prefer X because it's XXXX" but I can't. I think the album is great on both phones in different ways, and I can see this situation applying to even rock albums with the above set-up, with the biggest factor seemingly being the XP-7. I think you just have to go with what you want.

Feb 20, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by =w=
600smile.gif

I'm a big time Tool and APC fan, and I think the E5's make them sound the way they're supposed to sound. Before, I had the E3c's (which are said to have more bass than the ER-4p's) and I felt they lacked with these bands. They just couldn't adaquately reproduce those low, aggressive bass notes that Tool and APC are known for. The E5's definitely cured that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back