Shure e5c appreciation thread!
Dec 4, 2005 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jdimitri

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought I'd start this thread cuz NO ONE's talkin bout them anymore
I've had them for 3 months or so and *LOVIN* them...
I chose these over the UM2 cuz theyre built like a tank!
Anyone else share the love?
etysmile.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri
I thought I'd start this thread cuz NO ONE's talkin bout them anymore
I've had them for 3 months or so and *LOVIN* them...
I chose these over the UM2 cuz theyre built like a tank!
Anyone else share the love?
etysmile.gif

Yes,
I can chime in on this one, I have also had my E5C's for a few months and must say that they are truly great!

I have own a very large number of highly rated headphone and I must say that every time that I listen to the E5C's I can't help but be impressed with the sound of these things, and they are so portable too.

People stopped talking about the Shure's and have made the UM2 the latest buzz, I think it is due to the fact that the UM2 use the same drivers and is cheaper, but I agree with you, the E5C is built like a tank.

I love my E5C's

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 26
In some ways I like them better than my UM2s. Timbres of different instruments are easier to distinguish on the shures and the whole spectrum has a better presentation. In the UM2's favor are deeper bass extension and a seemingly flatter frequency response, both at the cost of some other oddities. I also have a harder time keeping the stiff cables of the shures in place. The thin UM2 cable is easier, even if they're a bit short.

So, yeah, I like the shures better, but factor in the price difference and I can see why the UM2 seems more popular, especially with bass heads or people who listen to electronic music (rock, modern jazz, etc.)

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 26
got mine now for more than 2 weeks and I keep enjoying them out of my shuffle and my 4G ipod (I must say it's the first "IEM" i tried -got E4s, E3, ER6i, EX71- that make worth listening to this particular iPod)...

I found it a bit difficult to find the correct tip to use (using the small flex now, hesitated with mediums for a couple of day) and it takes a couple of tries and days until you find "your" way to put the E5 correctly in your ears... but so far so good...

until now I listened at home with my MS1s and on the go with my IEMs... now I'd say I listen 50/50 to the MS1 and the E5 at home... E5 are less fatiguing for long listens and although the memory wire was the most difficult thing to get acustomed to, now I think it participates clearly to the confort I enjoy when wearing those IEMs

I guess UM2 may be a bit different sounding but I think I'd have been equally satisfied with them (maybe a next purchase to know what I've been missing lol)

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 26
I feel that the Shures are just more powerful than the UM2's, I never felt as much energy coming from canals than the E5c's.... especially starting in a quiet environment, then putting on the IEMs, they explode

Can only imagine what the 3-driver IEMs sound like

Dec 4, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 26
maybe we'll know someday (that's an other subject but an official reseller a the apple expo in paris this september talked of E6 with 3 drivers... so who knows?)
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 26
I'm very happy with my E5's,too. Friends who listened to mine them also bought a pair,and two more will do the same before (and for) Christmas.
For those E5 owners pondering the sonically greener grass of a triple-driver IEM,consider treating yourself (and your E5's) to some custom-fitted inserts from Westone or Sensaphonics -the improvement will likely leave a smile on your face...
And what's this rumor about a triple-driver E6 -from an Apple Expo in Paris last September? Hmm...Sounds like strong Brie and weak Chardonnay (no,wait...) were in attendance and abundance? A pleasant rumor,though.

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 26
Funny how this is the first thread i ran into today..
Namely something strange happened to me with my E5's lately, i think i got used to them>?!? (had them for 7 months)
The bass is not as 'fun' as it was in the first couple of months, its just like...well...its hard to admit it but i think they are getting borring...i even started going back to EX-71 and Er6i+pcII, i dont know whats happening but at first i thought that my ears are going deaf (never went past 50% on my ipod) or that the E5's are getting 'flat'..strange..
But still they are very well built, like 'tanks'
tongue.gif
and the cable is so amazing...
Anyone sharing the same thing?
Regards,
NiK.

Dec 4, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 26
I own two canalphones, after having purchased and sold nearly all of them - Shure E5 and E4. Probably 80% of the time or more the E5s get the call. I like my E4s and they provide a different, more analytical presentation than the E5s.

But that extra treble often translates to some harshness with certain recordings, and results in some fatigue in listening. The E5s NEVER suffer from harshness or fatiguing sound. They are always fun, musical and entertaining. When one switches from E4 to E5, there is an immediate and noticeable loss of treble energy. The detail is there, just not presented with as much force.

This apparent weakness I find to actually be the E5's greatest asset. In a short time the mind and ears adjust and hear the detail the E5s offer. But the fatiguing harshness is never present, and you are given a well-rounded sound you can listen to for hours on end. They play well with virtually all equipment, offer even more performance with an amp, and are my all-around favorite phones.

Dec 4, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 26
Ahhh!! My trusted, and beloved E5c's. Sarting out with the E4c's, and liking the sound very much, I couldn't imagine something sounding better. Well, lets see, I sold my first pair, because There was so many threads on other dual driver IEM's, for less money, I decided to give them a try.

The only one to come close, IMHO, was the UM2, but even with no EQ set on my X5L, the bass was still to pronounced for me to handle.

The Super.Fi 5 Pro's were next. I didn't even know that they didn't go all the way in the ear!! Immediately, I saw the quality wasn't there, in the build. The sound was congested and bloated, with no good seperation of the tones. Just wasn't for me.

I went out to get another pair of E5c's, but this time, they got caught in a small fire, that's right, a fire!! Stupid me, I was so pissed, that I chucked them in the garbage so fast, not realizing that Shure might have replaced them, for a small fee.

Yes, I went out and got another pair, because, quite frankly, there is no better universal IEM out there that can match them. The only other IEM, that I consider worth keeping, is the Ety ER-4P/S.

Well, that's where I am today, on my third pair of E5c's. If something goes wrong with them, there will be a forth, and so on!!!
biggrin.gif
etysmile.gif
cool.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominode
And what's this rumor about a triple-driver E6 -from an Apple Expo in Paris last September? Hmm...Sounds like strong Brie and weak Chardonnay (no,wait...) were in attendance and abundance? A pleasant rumor,though.

this is what I heard from the mouth of a guy demoing the complete shure range at the apple expo... and I did understand properly his french...

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 26
I love my E5cs, I love the bass, I love the mids, I even like the some what recessed highs. It's a lovely laid-back sound and I couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back