Shure E530 vs Westone 3
Jan 1, 2009 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

dreamtheaterjunkie

New Head-Fier
My Bose earphones just broke for the second time in a year and a half. I had been considering purchasing high-quality earphones for a while, but this was the final straw.

I have enough money to purchase either the Shure E530s or the Westone 3s. I listen to any genre of music you can think of (except hip-hop.) Everything from jazz to rock to death metal to fusion. I like being able to hear sounds that are normally in the background, like the bass and the drums. The fit of the earphones isn't much of an issue for me, because my ears are fairly normal. Also, I'm not extremely concerned with the amount of isolation each one provides, unless I'll have to turn the volume up all the way to hear, like I did with my Bose.

Which ones can you recommend?

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamtheaterjunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Bose earphones just broke for the second time in a year and a half. I had been considering purchasing high-quality earphones for a while, but this was the final straw.

I have enough money to purchase either the Shure E530s or the Westone 3s. I listen to any genre of music you can think of (except hip-hop.) Everything from jazz to rock to death metal to fusion. I like being able to hear sounds that are normally in the background, like the bass and the drums. The fit of the earphones isn't much of an issue for me, because my ears are fairly normal.

Which ones can you recommend?

you only have to look on the first 2 pages to see this has been asked a few times already. pointless starting another thread up, but ill go easy on ya seen as your new around here.

there is no definitive answer, the shures i know for a fact are brilliant at reproducing jazz and superb for rock, although i havnt heard the westone 3 the general consensus around here is they are very good but there have been problems sound wise, too much going on can mush the sound a little apparently and the mid bass is humped and a little overdone. the shures arent perfect either, lots of bass which some dont like (should point out the westone apparently has more bass), the rest is brilliant tho, the highs are a little laid back and dont sparkle like some would like.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 36
Thanks. My two main genres that I listen to are progressive rock and metal. I tend to enjoy being able to hear every instrument while listening to progressive rock, with the vocals at the front and everything else (bass, guitar, synth, drums, etc.) at approximately the same level, unless it's some sort of instrumental solo.

When I listen to metal, I like the bass to be somewhat audible, because it's usually tuned out by everything else. I like having the guitars in the front though, with the bass a tiny bit farther back, and the drums farther back than both of them.

Which would you recommend for that?

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 36
again i havnt heard the westone 3, but what you explain is exactly what the shures's deliver, but there will be conflicting thoughts on this.

the mids are forward and prominent, instrument seperation is great with a nice blackness to the sound, however sound can get a bit grainy when its hooked up to a poor source. bass is audible but does not in any way take away from the mids which many consider the strong point of the shure's.

the highs are good but like i say they lack a little splash and ting, but they do fit well with the whole sound and you cant really point out any frequencies that dominate.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
again i havnt heard the westone 3, but what you explain is exactly what the shures's deliver, but there will be conflicting thoughts on this.

the mids are forward and prominent, instrument seperation is great with a nice blackness to the sound, however sound can get a bit grainy when its hooked up to a poor source. bass is audible but does not in any way take away from the mids which many consider the strong point of the shure's.

the highs are good but like i say they lack a little splash and ting, but they do fit well with the whole sound and you cant really point out any frequencies that dominate.

x2

Id describe the se530s the same way, and they also get my recommendation, though I also have not heard the westone 3s.

Dave

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 36
Thanks so much! I think I'm getting the Shures. Also, you said the sound gets a bit grainy when hooked up to a poor source. Would you consider hooking the earphones directly into an iPod without an amp a poor source?

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamtheaterjunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks so much! I think I'm getting the Shures. Also, you said the sound gets a bit grainy when hooked up to a poor source. Would you consider hooking the earphones directly into an iPod without an amp a poor source?

not especially poor no, what ipod is it tho? they vary greatly when it comes to the sound quality. i suppose the best way of looking at it is this, the earphones will improve the sound of the ipod, and if you ever get rid of the ipod for something else the sound may well get better still so its all good.

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 36
LOL onlky shure owners could be bothered coming in ans commenting on the umpteenth thread like this. please use the search feature in future... please!!!. as for the topic. i'm gonna go with these guys; I have actually got both of them and I would recommend the SE530 if you only listen to rock. because not all rock is very well produced and the W3 will show that up ruthlessly. when everything is as it should be the W3 is the winner all round IMO but thats not always the case. the SE530 presentation is pretty much what you describe as what you want, so IMO you should get them.the issues with the W3 from what I can tell are 95% tip choice or source issues. I dont have any pf the problems people are talking about here. the only time I have any problem is when the source file is of bad quality; and I still have a few lossy MP3's in my library that I love and cant bring myself to get rid of them. I still garb the SE530 for this music and sometimes will grab them for a live album or vocal piece. You wont go wrong with either one. but perhaps the W3 is a bit more 'high maintenance' needs the right tips (although some people like me seem to have the right shaped ear already. good source, well amped. good luck

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 36
the ipod classic is ok, i didnt love it to be honest but keeping the EQ flat and music bit rates high all will be fine.

qusp has made a fair point and he's right, to get the best from any of these earphones they do need amping, but then again i dont use an amp and love my se530's.

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 36
Ooh, nice helpful thread here
biggrin.gif

@Jinx200001: How have your wires coped, and when did you purchase them?

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ipod classic is ok, i didnt love it to be honest but keeping the EQ flat and music bit rates high all will be fine.

qusp has made a fair point and he's right, to get the best from any of these earphones they do need amping, but then again i dont use an amp and love my se530's.

what makes a ipod special is the ability to have the line out if you were not going to use that I would never recommend a ipod for it's hp out but if you go imod I don't think you can beat it

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what makes a ipod special is the ability to have the line out if you were not going to use that I would never recommend a ipod for it's hp out but if you go imod I don't think you can beat it

but you can not mod the classic.

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #14 of 36
Dream Theater is my favorite band
smily_headphones1.gif

W3'w are my favorite IEM's
smily_headphones1.gif

nuff said.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #15 of 36
I have listened to both SE530 (recently when I bought it for my cousin) and W3 (recently again, it only just released)~
I have to say W3 produced an overall better sound TO ME than SE530, SE530's treble is pretty rolled off, it doesn't reach the point where I am expecting...but thats only comparing to W3, W3 has a very balanced treble and very pleasing...
Basically, I think W3 fixed most of the problems that Shure had that people discussed long back~I don't personally find the shure's mids to be better than W3, but some say they do... ...

For Rock music, both earbuds does a great job~but you really need at least FLAC Files for W3 to perform. it will sound super crappy if you use Mp3, the bass will be uncontrolled and vocal will fell back~every thing just muddy~ but with CD, FLAC plus a good source, W3 is just unbeatable~IMO~...

Shure SE530 is also much cheaper, the one I bought was $270 from an authorized dealer~so its your choice ^ ^

I would say go for W3 if you have the money, but go for SE530 if you wanna save some money~ they both good for your music taste, but I will definitely pick W3 because I still couldn't find any weakness in its sound at the moment, and I feel more excited when listen to it because everything fits my expectation ^ ^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back