Shure E530 VS. Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro - Which One?
Aug 27, 2008 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

2.2gotboost

100+ Head-Fier
Shure E530 or Ultimate Ears Triple.fi Pro.

I have read about the Shure E530's wire breaking down where it terminates at the earpiece. The insulation splits, exposing the bare wire. Other than the UE's being bulky and not for small ear canals, I have not read anything bad really.

I can get the UE's for $327.00 shipped and the Shure's for $310.00 shipped.

I really would like some input.

Thanks

Aug 27, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 24
I've gone through 2 pairs of E500's (SE530) in just over a year. They're awesome sounding, comfortable earphones but the inconvenience of having to warranty them (Shure requires proof of purchase from an authorized retailer now) is enough that if given the opportunity to start over I would buy the UE 10's.

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 24
i have both and find the se530 in my ears more than the triple fi!!
The shure are just so comfortable and the issue with the wires was apparently sorted out about 6 months back!!

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have both and find the se530 in my ears more than the triple fi!!
The shure are just so comfortable and the issue with the wires was apparently sorted out about 6 months back!!

Did they detail how they sorted it out at all? For that matter, being a relatively new aquirer of the se530's, did they say what was causing the cracking, disintergrating and fraying of the old cables?

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 24
I have not tried Triple.fi 10 Pro but fi. 5 and currently own SE530. I absolutely loved fi. 5 for clean/accurate sound and I happened to have SE530 which easily switched over me then. But it was only before I carefully listened Denon AH-D5000 and K701! I know they are complete different headphones but after hearing the REAL sound...SE530 was not as great as my first impression anymore?! They actually have little rounded/closed/even slightly mushed sound to me...though it is true that they are STILL an amazing ear canal earphones! I wish I can try the Triple.fi 10 Pro see how it's like!

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaldaim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was told that oils from the skin of certain (not all) people were causing the problem, and essentially that I need to clean behind my ears more often!

AAh, that'd add up I suppose
beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive my popping up here, as I don't have personal experience of either unit, but isn't this the wrong part of the forum for IEMs?

Yes it is. However, all headphones, full-sized and IEM's, used to be lumped together in this forum ie the IEM's forum is a new edition. Therefore, there is still a massive back catalogue of threads of IEM substance still in this forum that havn't yet been transferred to new forum for IEM's and portables. I guess OP didn't realise change had been initiated
confused_face.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 9:20 AM Post #11 of 24
Both are very good phones, Boost.

You should really try to find someone on here who lives near you and has both.

I'm not sure which I prefer - I'll spend weeks with the Shure then switch to the TFs and think "wow, these are so much better". Then I'll wait a couple of weeks and switch back and think exactly the opposite! If I really had to choose one i think I'd rather go with the TFs.

FWIW the TFs have much better highs, and the Shures have better midrange. The TFs in my opinion need a very good seal to shine and deliver warmth (which I like) in the mids. A good seal on them (as far as my ears go) is much harder to achieve than the Shures. I obtained it by modding Shure black olive tips and using the flip-flop method.

Other differences:
The Shure's present the music in front of the listener, whereas the TFs tend to put the listener in the music.
The TFs have a bigger soundstage IMO, sounding more like full-sized headphones than the Shures.
The Shures are perhaps more forgiving of bad recordings whereas the TFs can highlight flaws.
The TFs are "airy" whereas the Shures image is smaller, but has a good weight

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBob1971 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure which I prefer - I'll spend weeks with the Shure then switch to the TFs and think "wow, these are so much better". Then I'll wait a couple of weeks and switch back and think exactly the opposite! If I really had to choose one i think I'd rather go with the TFs.

FWIW the TFs have much better highs, and the Shures have better midrange. The TFs in my opinion need a very good seal to shine and deliver warmth (which I like) in the mids. A good seal on them (as far as my ears go) is much harder to achieve than the Shures. I obtained it by modding Shure black olive tips and using the flip-flop method.

Other differences:
The Shure's present the music in front of the listener, whereas the TFs tend to put the listener in the music.
The TFs have a bigger soundstage IMO, sounding more like full-sized headphones than the Shures.
The Shures are perhaps more forgiving of bad recordings whereas the TFs can highlight flaws.
The TFs are "airy" whereas the Shures image is smaller, but has a good weight

Very well differentiated!! I found same experience as you but you defined and summed it summed far better than i've been able to.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How's the fit on the TF10? If its anything like the SF5pros I have at the moment I'm probably going to not consider them for upgrading as I find it hard to get a good seal with my SF5pros at the moment.

I own both. I like the sound of the triples better, but initially I had major fit problems which caused me to buy the Shure's.

The solution to the fit problem has been well documented here: reverse the earpieces (i.e., unplug both earpieces from the cable, plug the left-channel cable into the earpiece marked "R" and vice versa, and use them with the earpiece marked "R" in your left year and vice versa) and switch to good foam eartips (I go back and forth between Shure black foam and Comply -- the Shures feel better but the Complys are easier to deal with).

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back