Shure E500's Now Shipping
Jul 28, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #32 of 57
How do they compare to a Koss KSC75? I find this phone to be better than any IEM I've tried, exept for the isolation. Maybe it's not fair to compare an IEM to a 'normal' headphone...

Jul 28, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #33 of 57
They arrived at my door about 40 minutes ago and have been in my ears for about 30 minutes. I immediately put the custom UM56 tips on them. The first thing I noticed about the E500's is they have a slightly longer barrel than UM2, which makes for a nicer fit with the custom eartips, seems like a more secure seal with them, more comfortable with them as well. I'm using a Sony NW-HD5 and a Larocco PR II amp with OPA627's. I've noticed they're more detailed than UM2, making the UM2 seem almost muddy by comparison. The instrument separation is better. There seems to be a little less bass quantity, but it's a lot tighter and seems maybe even deeper. There doesn't seem to be any hump in the upper bass. Mids seem more apparent than UM2, which was something I was really hoping for. The highs don't sound recessed at all to these ears, especially when compared to UM2. Anyway, I'm sure the sound will improve with burn-in, and keep in mind, these impressions were made with the UM56 tips, and with UM2 I found that they made them sound distinctintly different than any of the stock tips. Anyone who was thinking of getting UM56 tips for these babies, I would recommend setting up an appointment with the audiologist now. The fit of these is even better than with the UM2. I think Shure really outdid themselves with the E500.

Jul 28, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T
wakeride74,

Which portable amp would you recommend for an iPod Nano?

(My iPod Shuffle has a much better amp than my Nano).

Thanks!

Well, synergy is always an underappreciated factor and since I've not yet heard the E500 I can't say... you can see Pete's comments using the PRII and I really enjoyed the E4C with my SM amp from Xin as well as the Micro I had from Headroom. Right now I am really liking the Hornet and I've heard it works very well with the E500 so you have plenty of options!

Pete7 - first of all u suck... with that said how the triflange sound?? Also do you find the vocals to be presented in a similar fashion as the UM2.. pushed forward at all??

Jul 28, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #35 of 57
Actually the vocals sound similar, although I don't think they sound pushed forward. It seems like there's a nice layer of highs on top of the vocals in the soundstage, which sounds different from UM2. The "sheen" as Flavio described. As for triflanges, I'm keeping my abstinence from them. They really irritate my ears. Yeah-I do suck, but so will you when you get them. Just remember-good things come to those who wait! Kidding, really-I'm kidding...

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Well, synergy is always an underappreciated factor and since I've not yet heard the E500 I can't say... you can see Pete's comments using the PRII and I really enjoyed the E4C with my SM amp from Xin as well as the Micro I had from Headroom. Right now I am really liking the Hornet and I've heard it works very well with the E500 so you have plenty of options!

Pete7 - first of all u suck... with that said how the triflange sound?? Also do you find the vocals to be presented in a similar fashion as the UM2.. pushed forward at all??

Thanks wakeride74! I only tried once the Simpl 1 and I wasn't impressed. I will check the other ones you mentioned.

Pete7, which model of earphones were your UM56 made for originally?

Did that work with the E500's nozzle with no problems?

Jul 28, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #37 of 57
SWEEEEETT!!! My E500's are shipping today!

bluegirl.gif

Pete - UM56 = $200 right?

Jul 28, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #39 of 57
I just spoke to Travis from Headroom and he confirmed what someone else already posted...they received 30 E500's so 29 other people will be really happy sometime early next week. He said that they are going to ship out my headphones today!!! Travis is my new best friend
k1000smile.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #40 of 57
My UM56 tips were made for the UM2's. The E500 barrel/nozzle goes a little deeper into the tip. It appears to be a perfect fit. Wakeride, I bought mine last September for $125. I noticed Earphone Solutions has them listed on their site for $109. I really wish I had a pair of UE-10's to compare them with. Maybe someone out there on Head-Fi will be able to make that comparison later on.

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #41 of 57
Just a side by side comparison, shape wise the UM2 and the E500 are very similar. The E500 earpieces are lighter than the UM2. The E500 is more round and the fit and comfort are excellent.

UM2 has slightly stronger bass and the E500 has stronger mids with a bit more detail on that range. I was glad to see the memory wire (as in the E5c) go. Some people loved those wires but not me.

Sorry for the dark background.

E500UM2.jpg

EARE500.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #42 of 57
Mine shipped today, too
biggrin.gif
I was a bit disappointed that they won't be arriving tomorrow (some vendors FedEx won't ship on saturdays for
frown.gif
). I look forward to hearing your pair, though, Pete ;p. Perhaps you can give some foamies on it a try and compare it to the UM-56 to make some impressions on how the sound changes between the two. I think I see a set of UM-56 in my future ;D

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #44 of 57
For those interested in the US, check your local Fry's. I was in the one in Plano, TX today and they had 6 new E500's on the shelf in locked boxes. They also had the 2's, 3's, 4's, and the older Shure 5's as well.

edit: No I did not bye any if anyone asks.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by TempestX
For those interested in the US, check your local Fry's. I was in the one in Plano, TX today and they had 6 new E500's on the shelf in locked boxes. They also had the 2's, 3's, 4's, and the older Shure 5's as well.

edit: No I did not bye any if anyone asks.
wink.gif

Did they put up any for display? that's awefully close to my place too...
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back