Shure E500 v. Ultimate Ears UE-10
Jun 3, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #376 of 607
This comparison is really overlooking the fact that one is a custom-mould only product, and the E500 uses regular tips. The cost to get custom tips for the E500, even if they are available will lower the difference in their prices.

Jun 3, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #377 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
It's entirely possible that they all use the same Knowles drivers. IIRC, the UE10 uses two Knowles and one custom. Don't know about the E500.

As for the flat FR thing, the UE10pro is supposed to be for stage monitoring and to be as neutral as possible. I think UE actually recommends the UE-5c for music listening, since it has a good helping of extra bass. No one seems to take their advice though.

You are exactly right about that.
To put it another way, I talked to someone at UE about using UE5c's for onstage use and she was VERY quick to say that it wouldn't be a good idea. She even went so far as to say "I doubt that you'd be happy with the results".
Meaning, the UE5c is tuned for the exact OPPOSITE of neutral. At least....that's what I think she was trying to say.

Jun 3, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #378 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker71
Meaning, the UE5c is tuned for the exact OPPOSITE of neutral. At least....that's what I think she was trying to say.

Perceived as neutral at what volume level... is the question.

I think UE10s are tuned for higher level (on-stage, loud) listening while the UE5s are tuned for lower level (music) listening.

Jun 3, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #379 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
I think UE10s are tuned for higher level (on-stage, loud) listening while the UE5s are tuned for lower level (music) listening.

I do wonder how that is acheived.
Are the armateurs electronically tuned, or does it have more to do with the bore length (or some other physical characteristic)?

Jun 4, 2006 at 12:25 AM Post #380 of 607
Prob. a mixture of both. It's the small things that make it into one big thing!
icon10.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #381 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo
Perceived as neutral at what volume level... is the question.

Anyone know if this is the case. First I have heard of it..

Jun 7, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #384 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One
hmm, you could be a bit more precise lol.
icon10.gif

Ask me the specifics and I'll give my opinion =D I really don't want to bored you guys with like a page long review or comparision between the two. Ooh and I have the UE5c so if you want me to say a lil bit about that and the E500, ask
icon10.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #385 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Ask me the specifics and I'll give my opinion =D I really don't want to bored you guys with like a page long review or comparision between the two. Ooh and I have the UE5c so if you want me to say a lil bit about that and the E500, ask
icon10.gif

I compared the E500 and the UE5c as well..(can't remember if I ever mentioned in this thread, it's been awhile) but they were much more similar than I expected. E500 had improved clarity and slightly better bass by a smidge...but not enough to warrant throw away the UE5c's yet.

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #386 of 607
I heard both the E500 and the UE10 in Headroom's fantastic room at High End 2006 this past weekend. I don't know if I should post my impressions for these reasons:

- Total listening time was 10-15 minutes in a sightly noisy environment.
- I am not as experienced with headphones and IEMs as most of you..
- I don't want to start a flame war.

But if people want to hear my very brief impressions, I'm happy to post them with those limitations in mind.

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:19 PM Post #387 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyLightOn
I heard both the E500 and the UE10 in Headroom's fantastic room at High End 2006 this past weekend. I don't know if I should post my impressions for these reasons:

- Total listening time was 10-15 minutes in a sightly noisy environment.
- I am not as experienced with headphones and IEMs as most of you..
- I don't want to start a flame war.

But if people want to hear my very brief impressions, I'm happy to post them with those limitations in mind.

Please do...

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #388 of 607
Wow. Nice to see that this thread is still going.

RX7_fan - what did you think of the E500's?

Jun 7, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #389 of 607
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harun
Please do...

yes... let's have it

Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan

I do, I do... not bored at all!

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #390 of 607
yeah, please post impressions of them, even if you only touched it and never listened to them!! its always good to read what other people thinks of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back