Shure E500 (Se530) and UE Triple.fi pro review.
Apr 14, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #16 of 29
Yeah, the usual improvements people describe when adding impedance. A little more extension, tighter bass, more detail/resolution/clarity. Not a world of difference but a noticable step up. I'm surprised more people don't use it as a cheaper more portable solution for those who don't want to carry an amp. No reason it won't do the same for Triple.fi/UM2/westone 3/E500/ q-JAYS etc. Of course, The E500 and JAYS modular cables will be more convenient to use it with. I would love to have heard it with the Triple.fi's as the Super.fi 3's exhibit the most improvement with it; most likely since they are super low impendance(13 Ohm).

Apr 14, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #17 of 29
Hmmm. Interesting. I once tried my s cable with my E4's and it did not seem like a good synergy. It took away some bass and added some unnecessary simblance.

Hopefully somebody can chime in and see what they do with E500 or TFP as I no longer have my s cable.

Apr 14, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #18 of 29
True. I'm sure it is not without exceptions. My K301xtra muddies up with it unamped. I think they are too hard to drive unamped with it. When amped There is very little improvement if any at all. I had to work on the pads to fix the stock muddiness and it comes back with it attached.

I might pick up the E500 soon. I hope my experience is different with the Shures. I hope I can get an improvement out of them since I go portable-wise w/o an amp and a few people have said they can be a slight bit muddy in the low end unamped. Of course they don't have my sources(or ears) and you never know till you try.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny if you run a frequency response graph comparing E2 to E500 they are nearly identical. Yet the E500 is light years better soundwise.

I know. That has actually happened before with other headphones. Shrugs. Who knows?

Anyway, I just got this combo E500 > MisterX Xp (tweaked a bit he added some nice passive components to allow for usage of the E500s or my Darths) > Redwine iMod.

Initial impressions are OH MAMA! The E500s don't sound like IEMS. They sound like a really good pair of full sized cans. I was listening to Future Sounds of London when some horns hit and I just stopped. Damn if that isn't smooth as silk.

All I can say is if you are looking for an incredible portable experience go ahead with this combo. Unreal that it sounds this nice and none of it is even burned in yet!

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know. That has actually happened before with other headphones. Shrugs. Who knows?

Anyway, I just got this combo E500 > MisterX Xp (tweaked a bit he added some nice passive components to allow for usage of the E500s or my Darths) > Redwine iMod.

Initial impressions are OH MAMA! The E500s don't sound like IEMS. They sound like a really good pair of full sized cans. I was listening to Future Sounds of London when some horns hit and I just stopped. Damn if that isn't smooth as silk.

All I can say is if you are looking for an incredible portable experience go ahead with this combo. Unreal that it sounds this nice and none of it is even burned in yet!

damn i wish, somebody made a portable mp3 player with a good dac and amp built in. I hate carrying so much stuff. But anywayshow much is the Mxxp and where can i find it.

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn i wish, somebody made a portable mp3 player with a good dac and amp built in. I hate carrying so much stuff. But anywayshow much is the Mxxp and where can i find it.

Get the Kenwood

May 9, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #23 of 29
Bump. I am trying to decide between the e500/se530 and the triple.fi's since they appear to be the best universal iem's out there and I think I have a budget for them. Due to strange purchasing requirements, I cannot really acquire them from a vendor who with a good return policy. The quality that is most important to me is headstage across a variety of music types, representative examples being the Elgar Cello Concerto, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, John McLaughlin, Neil Young, and I can add to the list if someone has idle curiosity. The triple.fi only thread seems to reverse several of the conclusions drawn in this thread, the soundstage question being one of them. Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated. This is not a small purchase.

May 9, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by blehmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump. I am trying to decide between the e500/se530 and the triple.fi's since they appear to be the best universal iem's out there and I think I have a budget for them. Due to strange purchasing requirements, I cannot really acquire them from a vendor who with a good return policy. The quality that is most important to me is headstage across a variety of music types, representative examples being the Elgar Cello Concerto, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, John McLaughlin, Neil Young, and I can add to the list if someone has idle curiosity. The triple.fi only thread seems to reverse several of the conclusions drawn in this thread, the soundstage question being one of them. Any additional insights would be greatly appreciated. This is not a small purchase.

You may want to wait a couple weeks and get yourself a pair of Westone 3's, they sound like the new contender for the universal-fit title..that is if ordering from www.earphonesolutions.com is not outside of the realm of possibility for you.

May 9, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #25 of 29
I have had both and given your choice of music, soundwise, I would go with the Triple Fi Pro. The slightly recessed mid-range gives a larger headstage and you would be nothing short of blown away with those music choices.

Just beware of the fit which is a problem for many people.

May 9, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #28 of 29
This is a great review, thanks for taking the time to write it.

I agree that the E500 is the winner based upon:

1-slightly improved deep bass impact

2-midrange is a bit more clear

3-treble is rolled off a bit with the E500 but blends well with the presentation without the "bowl" effect of elevated treble.

4-The E500 fit better, come with the comply's that most prefer, the build quality looks better, the cables are a better design for most.

5-Not mentioned, the E500 can be found closer to $300 (probably due to the change to the identical SE530) than the $400 cost of the UE Triple Fi's.

That said, they are close and if you did not have both to compare side by side with the same source it would be hard to choose. I wanted to like the UE's more as I like the much criticized UE SF 5 Pro. UE customer service has been great and I like the idea of user replacable cables.

May 9, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #29 of 29
Yeah, the replaceable cables on the UE's are a definite plus, although if you like prominent vocals that are in your face, don't take the TF10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back