Shure E500 PTH worth it?
Dec 18, 2008 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

foresthump

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
i own a pair of the Shure E500 pth and recently broke the filter tip on one side of the headphone. Since i bought it overseas and without the original recepit of my purchase,i am no longer in the warrenty. I have look through Shure's website and their fix price for the repair on E500 is $142. I originially bought it for around $500 2 years ago and now that the new SE530 is only worth around $300. Is it worth it spending that much to repair where i can get a new pair for just a little more? This is not to say that there are still things that i don't like about my E500 PTH despite all the hype when it first came out. Can any one give me some suggestion?
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 23
I just got the 530's. Quality hi-def sound but they look really fragile around the tips. They definitely could have been better designed, especially since the weight of the y-splitter connector, female extension and cable tend to out-weigh the already heavy earpieces. Be fore-warned, the weight of it will tug your earpieces down whether you're wearing them or they are overhanging from the edge of a table, causing your $450USD headphones to smack the ground.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 23
As I'm sure your aware the E500 and Se530 are the exact same model, just renamed to launch further releases in the "Se" range.

I've got the Se530 and find them perfect. Comfortable design, fits in the ear better than any other IEM IMO. Sound isolation and quality is damn fine!
If you really liked the E500 then buy the Se530 without a doubt. If your not sure take a look at the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10, they hold their own against the Se530.

What is it holding you back?

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by djyellomello /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the 530's. Quality hi-def sound but they look really fragile around the tips. They definitely could have been better designed, especially since the weight of the y-splitter connector, female extension and cable tend to out-weigh the already heavy earpieces. Be fore-warned, the weight of it will tug your earpieces down whether you're wearing them or they are overhanging from the edge of a table, causing your $450USD headphones to smack the ground.

if your earphones fall out because of the extreme weight lol then you aint got em in properly, simple as that, the cables are in no way heavy enough to yank the phones out of your ears and if you do yank them out of your ears then dont you think this could be because your yanking the cables and if you dont yank em they might stay in lol
L3000.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if your earphones fall out because of the extreme weight lol then you aint got em in properly, simple as that, the cables are in no way heavy enough to yank the phones out of your ears and if you do yank them out of your ears then dont you think this could be because your yanking the cables and if you dont yank em they might stay in lol
L3000.gif

I agree, without headphones music is flawed :p

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 23
Actually the Shure E500 and Shure SE530 are really 2 different earphones. The SE530's have ventilation for the 3 drivers while the E500 dont so the 530's will give you a more fuller sound with better BASS.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by foresthump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have look through Shure's website and their fix price for the repair on E500 is $142. I originially bought it for around $500 2 years ago and now that the new SE530 is only worth around $300. Is it worth it spending that much to repair where i can get a new pair for just a little more?

You should see with shure before getting a new pair. I had my SE530 returned because of the cable issue (witch have been resolved) and they just sent me a whole new pair with all accessories. They only ask for the IEM alone excluding any acessories.

I also heard people getting away with a pair of SE530 after sending a pair of E500 for repair. At the end you would be getting away with a brand new pair of SE530 for as few as $142 instead of $300.

Be sure of everything before making any move.

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the Shure E500 and Shure SE530 are really 2 different earphones. The SE530's have ventilation for the 3 drivers while the E500 dont so the 530's will give you a more fuller sound with better BASS.

wrong.
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

ummmm thats news to me
confused.gif
AFAIK that is incorrect. they are simply a newer release of the same IEM

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Do you have a link with this information?

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 23
"I have heard the e500 and se530 both before. now Shure claims that they Share the "SAME PARTS" but truly they don't...well not exactly at least. I listened for a bit and instantly noticed that the se530 gave more kick in the bass, and much more consistent and warmer. so...i took both apart. ( DON"T WORRY I PUT THE BACK TOGETHER AFTER) and i found that what they did was smartly Vented the triple balanced armatures. or so what shure called. Tuned Bass Port. when you do this, it give more ventilation for the drivers. giving it more air to move. so this increased the overall sound quality. the shure se530 are the same price as the e500pth. there are two versions of the se530, the normal, and the pth version. the pth version is the same price as the e500 and the normal is $50 dollars cheaper. the other difference now is, the se530 comes with a modular cable, which is a shorter cable, and then you get to choose what length of extender you want to connect it to. ( comes iwtha 9 inch and a 36 inch) as to the e500 just has one long one coming from the earphones itself. other difference is, they improved the cables on the se530, now they do not crack and tear like the ones on the e500 did. Hope this had help. oh by the way, i use the se530 right now, got rid of my e500's. so get the se530 if you can."

SOURCE

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

"I have heard the e500 and se530 both before. now Shure claims that they Share the "SAME PARTS" but truly they don't...well not exactly at least. I listened for a bit and instantly noticed that the se530 gave more kick in the bass, and much more consistent and warmer. so...i took both apart. ( DON"T WORRY I PUT THE BACK TOGETHER AFTER) and i found that what they did was smartly Vented the triple balanced armatures. or so what shure called. Tuned Bass Port. when you do this, it give more ventilation for the drivers. giving it more air to move. so this increased the overall sound quality. the shure se530 are the same price as the e500pth. there are two versions of the se530, the normal, and the pth version. the pth version is the same price as the e500 and the normal is $50 dollars cheaper. the other difference now is, the se530 comes with a modular cable, which is a shorter cable, and then you get to choose what length of extender you want to connect it to. ( comes iwtha 9 inch and a 36 inch) as to the e500 just has one long one coming from the earphones itself. other difference is, they improved the cables on the se530, now they do not crack and tear like the ones on the e500 did. Hope this had help. oh by the way, i use the se530 right now, got rid of my e500's. so get the se530 if you can."

that's news to me, are there any pictures?

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

SOURCE

You're quoting a person with a grand total of one post over at hydrogen audio? Are you serious?

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

SOURCE

...You're kidding, right? Like "Haha, got you good you gullible bastards!"

I've owned both, there's no difference whatsoever except for the accessories that come with. Don't even try to convince me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot about the little marking on the plug that says "SE530" instead of "E500." And the cable issue they were already taking care of with the last few batches of E500s. I talked to a Shure rep about it.

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Yeah so I think everyone agrees they are the same model and this guy is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back