Shure E500/E530 Cable Poll
Nov 13, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #376 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My understanding is that electrical tape is not a good idea, sorry to tell you this. I've read that it will react with the rubber in the cable even more than your oil, eventually turning your tape/cable into a sticky mess. Granted, I read this from someone else's post, so I don't have experience trying it. On the other hand, I do have experience with another solution which works quite well. I took some speaker wire (14 gauge I think), split it open, took out the copper wire, and then wrapped the housing around my Shure cable. This works quite well! It hugs the cable like a glove. If you suspect you might have an eventual problem, I would suggest doing this from the outset to protect your wires from accumulating any damage in the first place.

Hi guys, I know I'm a little late to the party on the issue. I have a question about this method, what do you guys actually use to keep the housing in place? I'm assuming the housing has to be cut before you can wrap it around the shure cable. It won't stay in place though. I've used the copper wire to wrap around the housing to keep it in place but is there a better method? Thanks.

Kinda freaked out after I read all these pages. I've had Shure (and Ety) products breakdown on me before, all due to troubles with the cable. I had my E5 fixed twice before I decided to not spend anymore money on it and go with the se530. I've had it for about 6 months now with no problems but I know that I'll wake up one day and find a tear in the cable if I didn't take preemptive action.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #377 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by dariusf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased by E500's about couple years ago and I did not have the invoice. [...] Few days after that to my great surprise I received a package with a brand new replacement of SE530.

Isn't the warranty 2 years? Do you know if your E500's were less than 2 years old? It almost sounds like they replaced yours even though they were out of the warranty period.

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #378 of 391
I had a pair of SE210s that cracked and broke in less than a year. As these were replacements for E3Cs that broke and more than 2 years had passed Shure in the UK wouldn't replace them but they would sell me more for £80!! So I am off Shure from now on and currently looking for an SE210 replacement.

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #380 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by l1f35ux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using it for 6 months and it's still good

However, I'm thinking about geting e5c's

The cables on the E5 also crack,I know.I recabled them:
maybe useful for people who don't have waranty left like I.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/shu...-cable-305017/

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #381 of 391
I owned a pair of SE110s and they recently broke due to my own undoing. I picked up the SE310s last night but noticed how thin the cable/cords are compared to the SE110. Is this cause for worry?

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #382 of 391

Well, my left cable has a small crack. Argh, now I have to hunt down the receipt and everything. Hope there is still warranty and even if there isn't, product liability for manufacturing errors goes beyond the usual warranty. But it's such a hassle!

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #383 of 391
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordEntropy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a pair of SE210s that cracked and broke in less than a year. As these were replacements for E3Cs that broke and more than 2 years had passed Shure in the UK wouldn't replace them but they would sell me more for £80!! So I am off Shure from now on and currently looking for an SE210 replacement.

Yes, my 3-year-old e4c has the cracked cables, too. Shure UK offered to do a "service exchange" to the SE310 for £131.25. This is the same SE310 that Amazon is selling for £109.99. And isn't the SE420 supposed to be the replacement for the e4c? So even though I've heard good things about Shure's US customer service, I'm not particularly impressed with Shure UK. While I don't necessarily expect them to replace of out-of-warranty earphones for free (though it would be nice, since the cracked cables are a known issue), offering me a downgrade exchange to the SE310 for more than I'd pay if I just bought the SE310 elsewhere does kind of add insult to injury.

I think I'll be getting the Phonak Audéo PFE as a replacement, since I'm kind of annoyed with Shure UK at this point...

May 12, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #384 of 391
I had the same cracked cable problem as all of you. I sent in my E500s 2 weeks ago and just received a replacement from Shure at no cost! I explained that I didn't have the receipt but that I purchased them last year. Shure stepped up and really took care me, the customer.
I hope I don't have the same cable problem but at least I know Shure has great customer service.

May 19, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #385 of 391
Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to the head-fi forum. I bought a pair of Shure's that are less than a month old, and already I'm seeing the cables start to bend and harden near each IEM. I was wondering, however, if anyone has ever taken the headphones apart and replaced the cable with a custom cable such as the Triple-fi 10s? They could then easily be swapped when cable damage occurs. Seeing as I'm new to the seen, I realize this may be impossible because they are completely incompatible, but perhaps there are other options that would fit the Shures.
TIA
J

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #386 of 391
The cable on my SE210 cracked after one year. I sent them back to the online store where I bought them, but they accused me of having cut throught the isolation with knife or similar. I was so angry I actually tremored! I've been fighting with them for two months now, but today I sent them a link to this thread. Can't wait to hear what they have to say now...

So if you're reading this - and you know who you are - send me a new pair of earphones, now!

Jul 7, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #387 of 391
This is a poll regarding Shure E500/SE530 cables, not SE210 cables.

Sorry about your cables. Your best bet for getting them repaired/replaced is to talk to Shure directly, not the store you bought the phones from.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #388 of 391
So, my third pair of SE530s have now failed due to the cables cracking, despite them being made of the "new" rubber compound. They certainly lasted longer than six months this time (nearer 22 months in fact!), but as the warranty doesn't reset with each pair they are no longer in warranty.

Shure UK have offered a replacement pair at 40% off RRP (which would still cost me £250). My other option is to take it up with the original retailer under the UK's Sale of Goods Act, which stipulates that goods be of satisfactory quality / durability. So I am going to do this, and include an expert's report as they have already rejected my initial request for a replacement.

My feelings on this whole sad saga? I didn't spend £250 on a pair of earphones with the expectation that they would last less than two years. And now I am having to waste my time in making a case for these earphones being faulty, when everyone who has read this thread (and Shure USA) already knows this to be the case. I've previously owned e2cs, e4gs and I love the sound of the se530s, but after this Shure will never get another penny off me.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #389 of 391
I second that notion of not spending another dime on Shure earphones until the issue has been resolved and there are happy customers to prove it. The Canadian representatives for Shure are great though. My earphones were out of warranty and they replaced them at no cost. However, I expect the cables to break on these again. This will be my FOURTH pair (third replacement), but the first to be replaced due to cables (the other two were faulty armatures). I will try to protect the cables from touching my skin this time.

In the mean time, I've bought the Senheisser IE8's and they are fantastic. After my Shure's, the decision between the IE8's with the replaceable cables and the other high end iem's was a no brainer. I think all earphones should come with easily replaceable cables since they are the weakest link. If Shure customers had to pay $20 to replace the y cable once a year, I don't think this would be such a big issue.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #390 of 391
I sent my phones back to Shure for repair - I've used them about 50 times since buying them new - and the rubber sheath cracked on the cable. They cracked while sitting in the case where they've been for a few months. Phones still work fine but they wouldn't last long like that so sent them back. Shure just told me it would cost $240 -- that is ridiculous for a known problem with their product.

They must have really changed their customer service policy - Shure used to be famous for standing behind their product.

I won't be buying any more Shure products

Fortunately I was able to find the receipt and they are still under warranty - but for people who are out of warranaty, $240 for cables? that's ridiculous. Does anyone know how to open the units and replace the cables with better cables? Or where to buy good replacement cables? (since this is likely to happen again when I'm not covered under warranty.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back